New Machine up to $1500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Machine up to $1500?

If not Silvia, where to, and how far do I have to go to get a reasonable improvement over her? Im in Wollongong and would prefer to try or at least see a machine before I buy. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Cheers, Steve

Re: New Machine up to $1500?

If I had $1500 to spend Id go the new Breville dual boiler but thats just me. As much as I love coffee I dont see myself spending over $500 on a machine.

Comment

Wiffle

You need to elaborate. Multiple drinks or just a couple at a time? espresso or milky? Do you need a grinder / Are you allowing $400+ for a grinder in your budget?

Its a bit like asking whats the best car for $25K. Theres a lot to choose from. From your Ferrari wannabe to your Korean 7 seater 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by 76404F5573404F42484D484E1011210 link=1317287535/2#2 date=1317288317
        Are you allowing $400+ for a grinder in your budget?
        You could duck out to the store where the guys are better than bad but not quite excellent, and grab a couple of Breville Smart Grinders. Not sure what youd do with the spare one though? Decaf?

Comment

Originally posted by 1A3F2C35383F32245E0 link=1317287535/1#1 date=1317287855
          If I had $1500 to spend Id go the new Breville dual boiler but thats just me.
          Amen to that.

Comment

From what I understand, the next levels above the Silvia are "inexpensive HX, (from about $1000)" "Breville BES900, (rrp at 1500)" or "La Pavoni Lever (anywhere from $700 to $1500"

I guess its up to you which you think works best for you, but Id suggest the Breville, it really does seem to have (at least on paper, the jury is still out on the durability) the ability to run rings around pretty much anything under $3k, and still be simple enough for the newest of the newbie coffee drinker to operate.

Of course, if youre willing to go Secondhand, That opens up a whole nother can of worms

Comment

Dont forget that the good old EM6910 also looks good on paper but as we all know its not the most reliable piece of equipment.

Id go for a decent grinder + a Lelit. Or maybe a Simonelli Oscar.

Comment

Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated. To elucidate; I drink Short blacks, 2-3 a day, whilst my wife drinks flat white, 1-2 a day. Simonelli Oscar was on my radar, as was the Breville (I do have some concerns on long term performance), and the Expobar office semi. I have a reasonable grinder (EM0480), so budget is just for machine. I dont want to spend money just for the sake of it, and value performance over aesthetics. Id also be happy to look at a good 2nd hand machine at the right price. Anyone used the Oscar and/or know where they can be had at a good price?

Comment

I just looked at Di Bartoli website and I saw the "Expobar Semi" on special i think it was around the $1500 mark YOU! should check it out, I do not remember if they have this machine in there show room so give them a call first and find out.

Comment

Bang for bucks you cant go past the Breville.

Comment

What about the nice carimali uno in the for sale section?
                      I find it tempting and I only just bought a machine!

Comment

Wiffles noticed alright - he posted on that thread before starting this one!

Comment

Originally posted by 6F515E5E545D380 link=1317287535/7#7 date=1317337061
                          I have a reasonable grinder (EM0480), so budget is just for machine.

You will find that the EMO480 wont really cut it when you upgrade to a better machine. You need a Smart grinder at least, one in the for sale section for $180 at the moment and with cuppacoffee selling the Breville for $1300 you are set.

I would also be considering the Expobar on sale at Di Bartoli

Comment

$1500 gets you a lower-end HX or dual boiler and these are very popular

but if its mainly you and your wife I understand the Vibiemme Piccolo is superb (750ml single boiler). Also takes up less bench space. Or a 700ml Isomac Zaffiro (microprocessor to automatically check and refill the boiler with water)

For $1500 I reckon use your closest equipment trader and buy from someone that can give ongoing support unless you know your way around the insides of a machine (I dont!)

Comment

Originally posted by 72444B5177444B464C494C4A1415250 link=1317287535/13#13 date=1317350651
                              $1500 gets you a lower-end HX or dual boiler and these are very popular

but if its mainly you and your wife I understand the Vibiemme Piccolo is superb (750ml single boiler). Also takes up less bench space. Or a 700ml Isomac Zaffiro (microprocessor to automatically check and refill the boiler with water)

For $1500 I reckon use your closest equipment trader and buy from someone that can give ongoing support unless you know your way around the insides of a machine (I dont!)
                              Bench space is certainly a consideration, so smaller is better; ideally something similar to the Isomac Giada Im currently using. The Piccolo looks great, but seems just out of my price range.

Trentski, where do you think the EM0480 will fall short? Anyone seen the S. Oscar around? Thanks again for the replies, keen to hear any other thoughts/feedback suggestions.
                              Cheers, Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X