X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Sunbeam EM6910 worth fixing?

Hi all,

Im after some advice from the coffee guru collective

Sadly after 3 years (of mostly weekend service) my Sunbeam EM6910 is starting to fail me.

The pressure gauge is now sticking and even with the lightest of tamps on my usual grind setting it is taking an eternity to extract making me think that the pressure just isnt there anymore.

Can anyone with experience fixing these machines advise whether it is worth having my machine repaired or should I just pony up the extra for a shiny new one with a warranty?

Any advice appreciated.

Re: Is my Sunbeam EM6910 worth fixing?

Id suggest you get it looked at by a authorised repairer (contact Sunbeam to find your nearest one) and get a quote for a fix. If its too much then you can choose not to go ahead but youll probably have to pay a $20-$30 service fee.

I had a similar problem with my EM6910. It was just on 3 years old and I suspected my solenoid valve had gone. I tried to find a local repairer (Im in Canberra) but the only place I could find said they could look at it but were not really coffee machine repairers. So I called Sunbeam customer service and explained my problem. The helpful service rep confirmed there were not any repairers in Canberra qualified to work on the EM6910 (no longer the case now) and she eventually offered to fix my machine for $100 max charge (no matter what was wrong with it). I went ahead and sent it to them by Courier (arranged by Sunbeam) and go it back  3 weeks later all fixed. Its still going strong almost 12 months later, although I think my group colar will need replacing in the next 12 months - I plan to do that myself.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I guess Im just concerned that Ill spend $200+ to get everything fixed and then a short time later Ill be up for a new collar myself.

I sourced a new EM6910 today at the local RT Edwards for $595, Im considering just biting the bullet and buying a new one a few extra years extended warranty whilst Im at it.

Comment

Do you flush the machine regularly with a good chemical cleaner? Your symptoms sound like it might just be starting to clog up a little. If you havent already give it a good flush with something like cafetto. Hopefully it springs back to life after flushing a bunch of gunk out.

Comment

Hi - I am new to this forum and this looks like the best place to start. Our EM6910 is almost 3 years old, and has had regular use. It has just started delivering lukewarm coffee that we the have to heat up in the microwave. Not ideal. Our nearest repair is over 500k away so we are wondering if anyone here has a suggestion as to cause / cure or if it has had its day. It happened after a routine clean / descale. Advice much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by 010C0601515653600 link=1317508746/4#4 date=1318236000
            It happened after a routine clean / descale
            Hi JayJay,

Can I ask what you used to perform the descale?

Comment

Ahem - will probably be drummed out as a potential coffee snob, but option 3 in the manual (the vinegar solution) has worked fine up till now. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 64696364343336050 link=1317508746/6#6 date=1318310781
                (the vinegar solution)

I think that may be the cause of your problem, as the vinegar isnt strong enough to dissolve the scale, but may actually flake it off in "chunks".
                Try get your hands on Bombora Triple Action Cleaner and run that through the machine.

Comment

Thanks for your help Jayson, will give it a go

J

Comment

After just smashing my failed Sunbeam against the wall Id highly recommend not bothering to fix them and definitely dont buy one! I went to the trouble of fixing mine and then the electronics failed a few months later making all the cleaning and seal repair completely redundant.
                    Ill never buy anything with the Sunbeam logo on it again >

Comment

Hi all-another newbie in trouble. My sunbeam em6910-when I press the start button the light blinks green and thats all it does. I can feel the block of metal (group head?) getting hot but no action. The machine was recently transported and I have heard from a friend who also has one that after transportation problems can occur. Please help as without my latte I become cruel and vicious.

Comment

Working...
                      X