Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried to soundproof an EM6910

What a noisy machine
    I picked up my 6910 second hand and Absolutely love it. Much better than the sunbeam ristretto I used to have

The only problem I have with it is how bloody noisy it is. It is almost twice as loud as the ristretto was. By reading through the threads and based on the noise of my brother in laws machine they are all about the same. I have just opened it up and attempted to put in some sound deadening matting. It makes a little bit of a difference but not as much as I was hoping.
    What I am curious of has anyone attempted this and if so, how is the success rate
    Ray

Re: Has anyone tried to soundproof an EM6910

I assume the vibe pump is bolted to the case somehow - you would probably have to put some thick rubber washers in between to stop the noise travelling through the case. What sound material are you using? Egg-carton sort of sound-room stuff wont do, youd have to use multi-layer synthetic stuff that claims to be as good as 10 times the width in competiters products or something like that... in my limted experience Ive never actually done this to a machine but Ive done a bit of sound proofing on a auditorium scale.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I do have the synthetic stuff but it didnt seem to make much of a difference. The majority of the noise sounds like it is coming from around the top of the group head. Thanks for the help. Ill try the screws in there somewhere but Im worried about going Past the point of return without knowing if it is possible

Comment

I silenced my 6910 years ago by giving it away

The only quiet one I ever heard was when they were doing the free training courses with the purchase of a machine. Somehow the training ones were quiet and I was not alone in commenting on this.... Not sure what was different inside, but at a guess Id say it had a different pump. Good luck.

Comment

"Chief, well have to use the cone of silence...."  ;D
          [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1eUIK9CihA[/media]

Comment

Nice work chief! cone of silence. Brilliant! Maybe it is easier to just hand out ear muffs at the front door when people come over. Lol oh well. Worth a try

Comment

Ive just unpacked mine and tested it, having upgraded from a Ristretto as well. Mine doesnt seem that loud? If anything the Ristretto made more noise, kind of a high pitched 2 stroke gurgle, whereas the 6910 sounds a bit like an old V8 in comparison.

Comment

sounds like you are one of the lucky ones, unless of course they have quietened them down since mine was made

Comment

The pump is mounted internally on rubber shockers so I cant see any easy way of quieting the machine. Anyway the grinder is just as loud!

But it does make a decent coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Rajtang View Post
                    What a noisy machine
                    I picked up my 6910 second hand and Absolutely love it. Much better than the sunbeam ristretto I used to have

The only problem I have with it is how bloody noisy it is. It is almost twice as loud as the ristretto was. By reading through the threads and based on the noise of my brother in laws machine they are all about the same. I have just opened it up and attempted to put in some sound deadening matting. It makes a little bit of a difference but not as much as I was hoping.
                    What I am curious of has anyone attempted this and if so, how is the success rate
                    Ray
                    I also got a second-hand EM6910. It is also very noisy.

I took off back door (1 bolt), plastic cover (4 screws), and RHS metal cover (1 bolt, 2 screws).
                    I surrounded pumps with polyester filling (sort you get in toys or pillows).
                    I also put some just under warming tray.

This is risky since I am also thermally insulating pumps causing them to cool down slower.

I think it is quieter (I made no measurements).

It, subjectively, is now only noisy while getting up to pressure. Then it goes quiet.
                    Last edited by philcolbourn; 29 November 2014, 04:47 PM. Reason: minor fix

Comment

Working...
                    X