Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jura ENA 7 water distribution

Hi guys,

We recently bought a Jura ENA 7 and something only occurred to me yesterday. There are 2 presets on the machine – 1 for espresso (set to 30ml water) and 1 for long black (set to 100ml water). My question is does all 100ml pass through the coffee when Im making a long black or will it only be 30ml + 70ml of water?

Another related question is when i manually adjust the amount of water during the process (say I have a bigger cup and I want 150ml) will all this water pass through the coffee or is the extra water added separately?

Im worried about the coffee tasting too weak/bitter. Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance

Re: Jura ENA 7 water distribution

if its like my Jura (and every other super auto Ive seen) all the water passes through the puck

Boil a kettle and add that first if you want anything longer than an espresso

But in general the Jura is one of the best Ive used.

Comment

So in that case why would there even be a setting allowing me to dramatically increase the amount of water if it will just end up making it taste bad (I can adjust the amount of water from about 50-250ml for the long black)?

Oh, and I should also add that I had an espresso with 45ml of water and it was very bitter. I turned it down to 30 and it was very nice. The long black is set to 100ml so wouldnt that mean if all the water passes through the coffee it would taste absolutely horrible (which I dont think it does)?

Comment

Originally posted by 6C5D665C665C793C0F0 link=1319584434/2#2 date=1319589199
        why would there even be a setting allowing me to dramatically increase the amount of water if it will just end up making it taste bad
        Because most people dont notice? I dont know the real answer to that question... This is one reason why many of us dont like super-autos!

If 100mL doesnt taste bad, maybe its too diluted to realise?

Run a long black and watch the flow. If its all brown (starting dark then lightening up) then its all through the puck. If its clear then brown, or vice versa, then you know it does half/half or something. It wont be mixed at the same time, it will either be all through the puck or one after the other.

I doubt very much it splits the drink, but I would be very happy to hear otherwise! I look forward to the results of your experiment

Comment

It is definitely brown and lightens up - I suppose I was just hoping the extra water was added separately just before it comes out. I emailed Jura and they said that it does all go through the puck but it does something sorta fancy so to not over-extract.

However I think from now long blacks will be made using an espresso shot and adding hot water (which is easily done on the machine)

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Originally posted by 47764D774D775217240 link=1319584434/4#4 date=1319593067
            it does something sorta fancy so to not over-extract
            Id like to know what that is... lower temperature maybe? ;D

add the hot water first for a better look.

Thanks for all your help!
            no problems!

Comment

Working...
            X