Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gaggia Classic Coffee, no flow: Boiler ? Group head body ? Replace ? New machine ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaggia Classic Coffee, no flow: Boiler ? Group head body ? Replace ? New machine ?

Hello ! New to this forum.

I have been the proud owner of a Gaggia Classic Coffee for about 15 years. Unfortunately it seized delivering the goods the other day. No more flow, all flow goes straight back into the tank.

Things I checked:
    Pump: still working, producing flow
    Inlet fitting with OVP: not blocked
    Tubing between pump and OVP: not blocked
    Screen holding plate: heavily calcified and eaten away

I havent checked anything else yet, but I am guessing that the boiler or parts of it are heavily calcified and therefore blocked. This machinge did get the odd descaling, but probably not as often as it should have.

Does the boiler need replacing ?
    Or just the group head body ?

If so, wheres the best place to buy those parts ?

Is it worth replacing or should I invest in a new machine ?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Gaggia Classic Coffee, no flow: Boiler ? Group head body ? Replace ? New machine ?

If there is evidence of scale around the dispersion disk likely something has blocked the holes at the base of the group valve assembly (mushroom valve).

Parts for Gaggia is a bit of a minefield at the moment as Saeco/Phillips are no longer wanting to deal with anyone directly.

Your best bet is to  attempt to remove the showerscreen, dispersion disk and mushroom valve but if there is significant scale getting the mushroom out in one piece will be tricky.

If you manage it, you might be able to clear the blockage or contact Southside Electronics to obtain a new valve, and a group seal while youre at it.

Any leaks around the boiler base?

Comment

Re: Gaggia Classic Coffee, no flow: Boiler ? Group head body ? Replace ? New machine ?

Looks to me that your solenoid is gone

http://www.dibartoli.com.au/product/Gaggia_Baby__-_Classic_Solenoid_Valve

If you need some Gaggia Classic parts we have some:
      Like boilers, solenoids valves, group head seals and others sometimes are hard to come by but we still get it.

http://www.dibartoli.com.au/cat/Gaggia_Espresso_Machines__Parts

Regards

Renzo

Comment

OK, took the machine apart a bit further. Can someone explain to me how this thing actually works ?

How does the water get from the boiler to the group head body, from there to the screen holder and then the screen ?
        I am assuming through the small piece of pipe that sits in one corner of the group head body, but where to from there ?

Any way to test the solenoid valve ?

@rick_bond: which part is the mushroom valve ? So many names for parts out there...

Comment

Just to be clear, from my understanding this is a Gaggia Classic Coffee and has no three-way solenoid, but maybe Im wrong.

In the Classic, there is a three-way solenoid valve bolted on the left (viewed from the top) of the group, which opens to allow water to pass through channels in the group body and to the dispersion disk/shower screen, or closes to block the boiler and allow pressure to escape back via a chrome pipe to the drip tray.

In the Classic Coffee, there should be instead a mushroom valve in the centre of the group which is a threaded part containing a spring and a rubber domed mushroom. This spring keeps the valve closed at boiler pressure, but the pump pressure is enough to depress the spring and allow water to flow through the boiler to the group.

Comment

Ahhh kay just checked partsguru and yes Im wrong

The Classic Coffee does have a solenoid the Coffee and Coffee Deluxe do not, so yes that might be your culprit. Could be a physical blockage or a burnt coil, but more likely a blockage Id say.

You should be able to remove just the solenoid by unbolting the group from the chassis and carefully lifting it up to get at the bolts, but to be honest it sounds like the group needs a soak in descaler anyway so it might be worth your while to pull the whole thing apart and do a thorough job on it.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, it is a Classic, with a solenoid bolted to the group next to the OVP.

Still confused about the flow (sorry if I keep going on about this, just want to understand how it works).

Water gets pumped via the OVP, enters the group head body and boiler via the inlet on the side. Where to and via which paths from here ? I am assuming into the piece of copper pipe, then what ?

Thanks.

Comment

The brew water exits the boiler base via a channel in the group, and hits the brew solenoid which is usually closed. When the brew switch is activated, the pump runs and the solenoid coil energises, which moves the plunger and opens a path for the water to flow into another channel in the group, which exits at the base where the dispersion disk bolts on. When the solenoid closes, the path from group head back to the exhaust is now open and pressure is released into the drip tray.

Comment

Working...
                X