Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I bent my boiler

Hey all
    So, while trying to get one of the fittings on my Oscar boiler off, I bent the boiler.
    See the photo attached.
    So I have a few questions...
    1. Should I just leave it as it is, and if the connectors still fit on just run it a bit bent?
    2. Can I gently bend it back to straight - or will the mess up the integrity of the brass and therefore create a weakspot in the metal that could crack and break under pressure?
    3. Will I just need to get a new boiler?

Also, does anyone know if thats the HX or boiler fill point? The other end of the fitting I pulled off had the boiler drain plug on it, so Im assuming its not the HX - but can anyone clarify?

Also, I used the "Clean Machine Triple Action Descaler" on the boiler, and gave it 3 treatments following Chris from Talk Coffees post about how to descale a boiler properly (but left to soak for more like 30 mins than 15). But theres still heaps of scale in the boiler drain/fill fitting (the one that with a bit too much elbow grease caused the boiler to bend). Does that mean there should be heaps of scale in the boiler still.
    Why did the descaler not work? Or did it work, but this boiler is beyond what those descalers can achieve, so will it need an acid bath? Or do I just get that same descaler again, but leave it in overnight or for a few days?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Re: Help! I bent my boiler

Here is a picture of the water drain fitting that I broke off when I bent the boiler trying to unscrew a fitting. This was after 3 descales with dean machine triple action.

Comment

Hmmm, Id be wary about running that boiler under pressure now, what with the twisting and bending and weakening of the metal... Sure, the pressure on the things might not be extremly high, but theres a goodly risk that the boiler integrity could be definitely compromised, Might just be easier to get a replacement boiler, Especially if this ones bent like that

also, Damn, that looks nasty in terms of scale, Did the previous owner not run a standard descale in the last twenty years or something??

Comment

Originally posted by 5E7367757A7B7C75536654736677120 link=1320538324/2#2 date=1320568333
        Sure, the pressure on the things might not be extremly high
        That what I was thinking, and trying to think of worst-case-scenario if the integrity is compromised... and I guess all that will happen is one day a small crack will emerge, and Ill hear a small spurting of water under pressure. Its not like its going to explode!
        But then if it does leak like that, then theres the risk of the electrics shorting out I guess...
        Anyone with some experience with something like this happening to a boiler?

Originally posted by 5E7367757A7B7C75536654736677120 link=1320538324/2#2 date=1320568333
        Damn, that looks nasty in terms of scale, Did the previous owner not run a standard descale in the last twenty years or something??
        Thats ebay for you. I reckon they lived in a hard water area and if asked whether they ever descaled, theyd say "What are you talking about descaling for - its not a fish its a coffee machine!"

Comment

Originally posted by 404B474F595A484F4B59464F532A0 link=1320538324/3#3 date=1320699887
          and I guess all that will happen is one day a small crack will emerge, and Ill hear a small spurting of water under pressure. Its not like its going to explode!
          Well...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311946/Sainsburys-coffee-explosion-injures-7-caf.html

Originally posted by 664B5F4D4243444D6B5E6C4B5E4F2A0 link=1320538324/2#2 date=1320568333
          Hmmm, Id be wary about running that boiler under pressure now, what with the twisting and bending and weakening of the metal... Sure, the pressure on the things might not be extremly high, but theres a goodly risk that the boiler integrity could be definitely compromised, Might just be easier to get a replacement boiler, Especially if this ones bent like that
          Good advice!

You could maybe take it to a radiator repair shop or engineering workshop to get it pressure tested but I would have trouble trusting it myself.

Comment

Thanks Andy,
            I guess thats my question,
            a) has anyone seen a boiler with a bend in it like this before, and;
            b) what is likely to happen if the integrity of the metal has been compromised? It seems make sense to me that if the pressure safety valve is working (which it is, it starts to let off steam at 1.8 bar - tested to see if it worked before I bent the boiler), then something like the above picture would be highly unlikely - right? Or wrong?

Comment

Thats an impressive explosion! [smiley=shocked.gif] I would not have thought that ~1 bar would explode it like that? Maybe the safety valve got stuck and the pressure built up until it went bang?

Either way, you would at the very least want to the get the boiler pressure tested. Even if it develops only a small leak (not catastrophic failure like this one), you will have steam gushing out that you will not be able to stop, which would not be a good thing.

Cheers

Comment

Pressurised Steam Boilers are not things to become complacent about...

It only takes a very few chain of events to coincide at a critical moment, and BOOM! It might not be you who suffers directly but maybe a member of the family or absolute horror, a young child... I couldnt live with that on my mind.

Dont muck around with it mate, its just not worth it.... Junk it and grab a new one or a known goodn.

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                X