Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PID and Silvia help

In need of some advice.
    I am in the middle of installing an Auber PID to 2008 silvia.
    Quick question - I have replaced the brew thermostat with the new one supplied in the kit, added a bit of thermal goo to its bottom and replaced the small bracket that holds it in place. With all the screws tightened on the bracket, the thermostat can still be moved ie it is not held tight in position. Is this normal?? I would not think so!
    Advice needed
    Thanks
    Cicarda
    New problem - Steam temp too high tripping boiler. Need help see post below
    Cicarda

Re: PID and Silvia help

Id pack it with some shim material between the bracket and the device.

I was the first 2008 model Silvia owner that got the Auber bits and pieces, so I had to make my own mounting system (which the kit solution is modelled after). I used a lump of brass rod to replace the standard thermostat with a thin RTD embedded in the bottom. The brass block screws down hard to the top of the boiler. (At least the second one I made does > ).

The other thing to remember is that less thermal grease is better than more. The function of the grease is to fill minor imperfections so you have the two surfaces in 100% contact. So tight + thin smear of grease is the go.

/Kevin

Comment

Do you think a couple of thin cut up lengths of cable tie to pack it up would do the trick? The thermostat has a plastic top.
      I cut and used 2 small lengths of  a paperclip and placed them either side of the thermostat under the bracket. All nice and tight now
      cicarda

Comment

Originally posted by 705A5052415752330 link=1320542797/2#2 date=1320545223
        Do you think a couple of thin cut up lengths of cable tie to pack it up would do the trick?
        The Max temp I ever saw on Silvia was 154C when it was steaming.. So as long as it doesnt melt! I know cable ties are "rated" for use up to 60C - but that is a strength thing.

Id just do it and then check back after a bit of use. I suspect itll be fine. The temperature at the top of the thermostat wont be anywhere near as hot as the boiler surface temp anyway.

Best of luck
        /Kevin

Comment

Kevin - used 2 small lengths of a paperclip and placed them either side of the thermostat under the bracket. All nice and tight now

I now have a new problem. PID working great at 106 degrees however when I turned on steam, temp rose past 140C and continued on till 156 triggering boiler thermostat to trip and disconnected heater. This was the first time steam had been selected. NOT a good start. Machine back heating up now but am a little reluctant to hit the steam button again. Need some help here Any suggestions??
          Note boiler was full when attempting to steam. I think the light went out about 150C and continued to overshoot and trip boiler.
          Advice needed
          Thanks
          Cicarda

Comment

Is there a steam temp setting on your PID? Otherwise the probe could be faulty or not contacting the boiler properly or not plugged in properly... Does the probe have to be calibrated?

Comment

Originally posted by 313931363C3A580 link=1320542797/5#5 date=1320577047
              Is there a steam temp setting on your PID?  Otherwise the probe could be faulty or not contacting the boiler properly or not plugged in properly... Does the probe have to be calibrated?

Mine does the same you have to watch the steam temp and make sure you start steaming the milk at 140 deg when the light goes out because it will trigger the reset button.
              Looking into it at the moment.

Comment

I installed a Watlow S3DC on my Silvia when I had one and I know that the PID controlled the brew temp bypassing the stock thermo with an RTD, but when I flipped the steam switch on the Silvia the stock thermo would control the steam temp letting it get to about 145C before turning off the element and it would rise to 154 on its steam.

Comment

sounds like you have to leave the stock thermostat attached properly for the steam setting then? Have you done that Cicarda and GARYCAMP? (Ps Im still guessing, never PIDd a coffee machine)

Comment

Originally posted by 547E7476657376170 link=1320542797/4#4 date=1320565093
                    Kevin -  used 2 small lengths of  a paperclip and placed them either side of the thermostat under the bracket. All nice and tight now

I now have a new problem. PID working great at 106 degrees however when I turned on steam, temp rose past 140C and continued on till 156 triggering boiler thermostat to trip and disconnected heater. This was the first time steam had been selected. NOT a good start.    Machine back heating up now but am a little reluctant to hit the steam button again. Need some help here   Any suggestions??
                    Note boiler was full when attempting  to steam. I think the light went out about 150C and continued to overshoot and trip boiler.
                    Advice needed
                    OK - my PID was just for the brew, not steam. So the steaming function was unchanged. If yours is the same, then you probably have just dislodged the thermostat for the steam. If so - just clean and re-apply grease and it should go.

If you have "steam control" on your PID, then Im 99.9% sure the way it works is via the alarm outputs on the controller. You should have some documentation with the controller. Youll need to go to the correct code page and check what the alarm HI and LO settings are. The thing will switch the heater on while the temperature is less than LO and switch it off when it gets bigger than HI. Id suggest trying to set them a good 10C lower than they are.

I never found the need for the steaming thing. I just started to steam when it showed 124C on the display and never had a problem.

Let us know what happens!

/Kevin

Comment

Yes my PID "should" control steam as well and as such now uses just one thermostat for brew and steam control. Maybe its not making good contact with boiler??? I will attempt to look at the settings on the PID however the default setting is 140C off and that is precisely when the the light does goes out. So im thinking all might be OK there.
                      I have Charlie from Jetblack looking into it for me now so will let you know of the outcome.

Thanks Cicarda.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F656F6D7E686D0C0 link=1320542797/10#10 date=1320745834
                        Yes my PID "should" control steam as well and as such now uses just one thermostat for brew and steam control. Maybe its not making good contact with boiler??? I will attempt to look at the settings on the PID however the default setting is 140C off and that is precisely when the the light does goes out. So im thinking all might be OK there.
                        Well - if the light is going out (it is in series with the heater) then the heating is stopping. My guess is that the temperature reading is low. This can be due to the sensor not making a good enough contact -or- the temperature offset in the controller being set incorrectly. Thats on one of the code pages too, but youd have to sleuth that through the manual...

Best of luck - Im sure it cant be a big problem. Itll be something stupid!

Cheers
                        /Kevin

Comment

Charlie came to the rescue and supplied me with a replacement thermostat and after installing, this time all now appears to be working.  Faulty sensor!  > Happy, now I can start making some coffees again and playing with some temps.

Helpful tip for those fitting Auber PID, make sure you dont use too much thermal goo. Less is best and if the bracket does not hold the RTD thermostat firmly in place then bend the bracket into a M shape and this will then hold it firmly against the  top of the boiler. ( better than cut up pieces of cable ties or paper clips)

Cicarda

Comment

Working...
                          X