Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancilio Silvia V3 - Steam from group head - need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Silvia V3 - Steam from group head - need help!

Hi all,

Im sure this may have been discussed before but I havent been able to find anything so here goes.

I bought a second hand Rancilio Silvia V3 a few days ago. The machine was purchased new in June of this year.

The issue I am having is that steam will pour out of the group head for about 5 seconds before water comes out when I start to extract a shot. This only happens after I have used the steam wand to heat milk. It does not happen if I havent used the steam function even if the boiler is at its max temp.

Anyone who knows what is happening or knows a fix for this, help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: Rancilio Silvia V3 - Steam from group head - need help!

After you have steamed milk and want to make another coffee you must first refill the boiler with water. To do this, turn on the water switch which will dispense water thru the steam wand.(you must open this to allow steam to escape and water will follow). When this happens the boiler is full.
    This has now cooled the water in the boiler and now you should not have the 5 sec of steam thru the grouphead.
    Allow boiler to reach brew temp again and before you lock in portafiller give silvia a 1 or 2 sec cooling flush if you wish, load and brew your coffee.
    Hope this helps
    Cicarda

Comment

Hi all,

I am having a similar issue however i do not usually steam milk and I always make sure i have water in the boiler.

It has been occurring for a few months now..

I think my boiler heats up the water too fast because if i run the steamy water out the group head until it is cooler and then pour a shot about 10 - 15 seconds during the pour i can hear the water steaming up and the shot tastes scorched.

i have changed the 100deg thermostat but i still get the same results.

for the best results i usually make 1 espresso every morning but have to pour the shot after about 5 mins of turning on.

let me know if you have any ideas - i have had the machine for about a year now so i will be taking it to get a service soon.

Thanks

Comment

What did you change the thermostat to? (or do they come with adjustable ones these days?)

Comment

No, I replaced the 100deg thermostat on the boiler for brewing

Comment

Originally posted by 3136346E6E676A6E5F0 link=1320742967/4#4 date=1323041596
            No, I replaced the 100deg thermostat on the boiler for brewing
            Did you use some thermal paste? If not - that could be the issue. Electronics places can supply it, and you use a tiny bit - less is more in this case. If the thermostat isnt making good contact, youll get overheating..

If that has been done, then Id be looking for a wiring fault. You can get a circuit diagram: http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/Si...lviaWorks.html and just check the wiring. WITH THE THING UNPLUGED. It is all 240VAC in there and will turn you into an ex-snob quickly if youre careless.

From memory - it is easy to put the wrong wires on the thermostats :

/Kevin

Comment

Cheers Kevin but the issue was occurring before I changed the thermostat.. I changed it to see if the original one was faulty.

I am gonna take it in for repair under warranty...

Thanks anyway!

Comment

Given how dirt-simple the setup is, it is hard to figure out what exactly is crook, unless it is the wiring. Maybe it was a Friday arvo job :-[

I guess youll be without the machine for a day or two and then youll be back in with great coffee.

I can seriously recommend the PID addition to the Silvia. It changes it from a slightly petulant child to something pretty much anyone can get a great shot out of.

Cheers
                /Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by 131215580 link=1320742967/7#7 date=1323152203
                  I can seriously recommend the PID addition to the Silvia.  It changes it from a slightly petulant child to something pretty much anyone can get a great shot out of.
                  Well put Kevin.

After 12 months of surfing with Miss Silvia I decided to PID her.
                  Now 3 weeks later there is only one conclusion to come to.
                  Why did I not do it sooner?

The consistancy of sweet shots has increased to a level where I have put upgradeitis well and truely off the agenda.

Easy to install and worth every $.
                  Just do it...you wont be dissapointed..IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                  X