Have GEE, EM0480. Now what???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have GEE, EM0480. Now what???

Lucky me won a raffle from 9Bar espresso (Wesley fundraiser).
    Previous machine was a circa $400 XP5280 Krupps which will now be doing track day duties. I am expecting a massive upgrade with the GEE.

My first few test shots have left me completely baffled.  HELP!

They make the Krupps look good so im clearly missing the plot here.  Do I simply persist and keep trying different things, or can someone perhaps suggest a reference point on the grinder so I can start from there.

Maybe someone can even spot a common pitfall with my grinder/machine combination?

Its really not a pretty machine so if I cant get it to put out it will be a very temporary machine  ;D

From my very limited knowledge, although greatly enhanced with 3 hours on this site, the variables that Im working with are;
    Grind (upgrade required I suspect :P).
    Tamping pressure (Im clueless here).
    Water Temp (on 92)

The good news is that the milk side of the equation is excellent!

Re: Have GEE, EM0480. Now what???

What seems to be the problem? EM0480 should be sufficient for a GEE being able to provide me with a fine enough grind and a consistent pour even for my Giotto.

Please let us know how long it takes for a 30ml pour. and the setting you have the EM0480 at for that pour.

Comment

Most importantly, are you using freshly roasted beans? Ideally under three weeks old from original roast date should see you getting good results from your set up.
      Good luck!

Comment

I guess
        Originally posted by 6D6A7B7770672B2B2B1E0 link=1321625617/2#2 date=1321627117
        Most importantly, are you using freshly roasted beans?
        Thats a given, but I guess were assuming no other variables other than equipment change.

Comment

apart from "what he said", add to your list of variables:
          - how much do you put in the basket (dose)
          - is your tamper a good fit

Youre probably going from dual-wall baskets on the krups, where tamp pressure and dose doesnt matter, to single wall on the Gee where it does matter.

Also, setting some number on your grinder could be the same or wildly different to someone else with exactly the same grinder. It will even change for your own grinder as the beans age, so be careful with numbers. A good starting point is rub a pinch of grinds between your fingers - it should feel soft and fine almost like flour at first, then a slight bit gritty.

Tamp firm but evenly and note where the tamper "stops" in relation to the basket - if this is the same, and the dose is the same, then the tamp is the same! Make sure the top is level and not wonky! Tamp once.

Controlling the dose to be consistent from shot to shot is important as thats how you measure adjustments in your tamping - some people weigh it, but you can also use a shot glass of beans, or a small measuring spoon levelled to give the same results. Try and dose and tamp so that the puck is not quite touching the shower screen. Search for the 5c test here for some more tips. Or just dose a lot until you touch the screen, then do a bit less next time.

And finally, put all this together and try and get about 60mL in about 60s with the double shot basket (dont care about being exact with volume/time). Not enough coffee - tamp a touch lighter or a bit less coffee; too much - tamp a touch harder.

Im sure this is what youve read and tried but hopefully it helps - I just had a coffee so Im here instead of sleeping

Comment

Originally posted by 7E767E797375170 link=1321625617/4#4 date=1321628142
            And finally, put all this together and try and get about 60mL in about 60s with the double shot basket
            I think you meant 60ml in 30 seconds.

Java "" phile
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

[move]THANK YOU!!![/move]

Ive some starting points and great tips here.  And I am very impressed that you were all working for me while I slept 

Ive set the ginder on 14 and the pour speed is far too quick, 17 seconds. Virtually no crema.

A K3T just made its way onto my christmas list, but tright now Ill open a new packet, start pinching my coffee and seriously consider a proper source of beans.

Ive been doing almost everything wrong so thats good news!

Thanks again.

Comment

Ive adopted the Weiss Distribution Technique (WDT) and have resited the urge to go with a finer gind for now.
                To get the draw up to 25 seconds Im tampting it quite firmly and am much encouraged!

Theres a screw in the middle of the screen which is just touching my puck. It was actually a little loose so I gave it a tweak but its still just touching by half a mm or so. Can I get away with that?

Thanks again fellas, Im feeling the love...

Comment

Yes, the showerscreen bolt denting the puck is perfectly fine.

We have a GEE doing coffee duty in the workshop at 9bar (frequently populated by commercial La Marzoccos and all manner of excellent machinery) and I have to say it makes a damn fine coffee. Not a looker, for sure, but its got it where it counts.

Comment

Originally posted by 2A0116011008090C05600 link=1321625617/5#5 date=1321654572
                    I think you meant 60ml in 30 seconds.
                    yeah, thanks. After midnight, I dont even understand what Im saying

Comment

Hi Galan,

I own a GEE and have played around it for quite a long time. Definitely, GEE needs a very good grinder to match wiith it. I upgraded an old grinder to Bezzera grinder for great shots. The Bezzera grinder is a conical blade type with infinite grids to fine tune the grinding fineness. That is pretty sufficient for GEE.

Thanks

Nick OY

Comment

Interesting Nick. Is it the BB05?

I wasnt aware of Bezzera doing any big conicals  :-?

Comment

Hi Talk_Coffee,

Yes, it is BB05AT (with a timer installed).
                          It is not a big conical but definitely well fits for a home use.
                          The base of the blade is extremaly firmly and the inifinite grids will take over few tens of turns to its end. A very good grinder to meet my three different semi-automatic esspresso machines. Good enough.

Regards,

Nick OY

Comment

I thought I should finish off this thread with my results after a few months of Trial and Error...

My biggest problem when I initially started using the machine was the beans.  I was using packet Lavazza bought from the supermarket which were giving acceptable results from the previous $200-$400 machines, but these just hate the GEE.  And I mean, its a really nasty result.  Had I started with good beans, Im sure that I could have arrived at good results almost immediately. I tried a couple of different beans but all were problematic in some way or other.

The turning point was when I tried some other beans from the supermarket (Coles Finest - Ethiopean) and it gave a COMPLETELY different result to what I was experiencing with the Lavazza and the beans that I source for the office).  Same grind, same settings on the GEE, but the flow rate dropped to virtually zero.

So I switch back to a coarser grind (back to what I used to use on the previous machine), reset the temp on the GEE back to 95 degrees and voila!  Rich crema from a solid tamp and I couldnt be happier!

Picollo Late anyone? 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 504B41497D404D4C46220 link=1321625617/8#8 date=1321677276
                              Yes, the showerscreen bolt denting the puck is perfectly fine. We have a GEE doing coffee duty in the workshop at 9bar (frequently populated by commercial La Marzoccos and all manner of excellent machinery) and I have to say it makes a damn fine coffee. Not a looker, for sure, but its got it where it counts.
                              Say, Im curious about what beans you gents are using with the GEE. Care to share?

Im actually pretty happy with the looks of the machine but probably only as the white finish matches my coffee bench perfectly. Although, that purple tinge to the water tank is not good. Not good at all. I wonder if you could source alternate tanks from a supplier in China? Would perhaps only cost a few dollars each, landed.

Comment

Working...
                              X