Rancilio Silvia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Silvia

Hi Im in SE QLD. After a lot of research Ive decided Id like to buy a Rancilio Silvia as a Christmas present for a coffee lover who currently uses a plunger but enjoys barista style coffees.

Id like to know where I can find the best price for one of these machines, from somewhere that also offers excellent after sales service.

Re: Rancilio Silvia

Hello and welcome!!

Easiest way is to send all the sponsors an email asking if they can help you out, thoase that can will respond.

The email that goes to all the sponsors is on the bottom of the sponsors list on the left.

Cheers

Comment

Hi aromatic,
      Im on the Gold Coast and I recently purchased my Silvia through site sponsor Coffee-A-Roma in Melb. and was very happy with both price and service. I thoroughly recommend them for a Silvia.

As the previous poster suggested - check with the other site sponsors listed here too if you want comparisons.

You will need a good grinder to get the best from a Silvia as you will no doubt know if you read (and re-read) the posts on this site. After persisting with my old grinder which was okay for plunger and stovetop and my more basic breville I realised the only way I could use the Silvia with fresh beans was to spend more money.
      I settled on a Breville Smart Grinder BCG800 purchased locally from and am very happy with my results.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, will contact them all.

Comment

Hello aromatic and welcome to CS.

Re: "...Id like to know where I can find the best price for one of these machines, from somewhere that also offers excellent after sales service..."

May I respectfully suggest that the actuality of *excellence in after sales service* hasnt yet been tested by respondent dabbler  This can only be tested properly when your machine in Brisbane develops a problem, and you find out from your retailer if the machine needs to be sent back to them for service and for warranty claim. This is also when you find out if it is at your cost that the machine goes back and forth in transport.

And that is also when you find out if the "best price", when added to the cost of freight back and forth afterwards for any services required, as well as the inconvenience, adds up to your *best deal*.

Sometimes it might be better to pay a little more than the "best price" and buy in your local area where you can get readily available local after sales service and where you can talk to people face to face and take it in yourself without having to worry about the very real possibility of damage during transport if you needed to send it back to an interstate retailer.

Just another opinion from the sidelines, and only you can work out your own best deal by asking questions before you take the plunge.

Sometimes the "best price" is not in your best interests and only you can decide 

Rgds,
          Attilio

Commercial interest declared, experienced authorised direct  importer of Rancilio Silvia and Rocky.

Comment

Hi aromatic,
            Attilio, as always has some great advice there, that sometimes best price is not always the best deal.

Barazi are a Brisbane based site sponsor (at Coopers Plains) and sell the Rancilio Silvia. Best thing is they will also show you how to use it, which is rather important if you (or your friend) are not familiar with using a single boiler machine. Can certainly save a few expensive headaches, and speed the way along to making some great coffee at home.

Make sure you also have plans to get a quality grinder as well with the Silvia to get the best out of it.

Good luck!

Comment

Love reading your posts Attilio and in some contexts your comments here are sound advice, but:

[vent]
              Originally posted by 6F5B4C5A41766A464F4F4C4C290 link=1322968554/4#4 date=1323489294
              May I respectfully suggest that the actuality of *excellence in after sales service* hasnt yet been tested by respondent dabbler
              Respondent dabbler never mentioned *after* sales anything, excellent or otherwise.

Originally posted by 7B7E7D7D737A6D1F0 link=1322968554/2#2 date=1322995667
              Im on the Gold Coast
              Originally posted by 7E6D70727E6B767C787E731F0 link=1322968554/0#0 date=1322968554
              Hi Im  in SE QLD.
              Originally posted by 142037213A0D113D34343737520 link=1322968554/4#4 date=1323489294
              when your machine in Brisbane develops a problem
              It seems you need a geography lesson maybe ?

Originally posted by 635740564D7A664A43434040250 link=1322968554/4#4 date=1323489294
              Sometimes it might be better to pay a little more than the "best price" and buy in your local area where you can get readily available local after sales service and where you can talk to people face to face and take it in yourself without having to worry about the very real possibility of damage during transport if you needed to send it back to an interstate retailer.
              What makes you think I settled on the best price ? Nothing in this post.
              I agree that purchasing locally should be a prime consideration but Id suggest your definition of "local" and mine vary a little, plus you dont really know what enquiries I made, when I might have made them and to whom, do you? And the potential for in-transit damage to Miss Silvia aside, just about every sponsor listed ships something they sell "every weekday to Cafés, Restaurants, Offices, Small Business and selected retail outlets right across Australia.".
              It seems with some suppliers deem that businesses can cope with delays and mishaps in transit should they occur but individuals are too delicate. But maybe thats a bit harsh. Im sure you would agree.

Is shipping from an Australian Territory to an Australian state considered "interstate"?

I recently made another interstate purchase from a well known Victoria supplier often mentioned in CS forums. From what I understand many CSers do just that on a regular basis. Unfortunately in this case my goods went astray somewhere in the shipping phase. Luckily my 25 plus years professional experience with spending hundreds of thousands of corporate dollars with local, national and international vendors meant it was all resolved after an exchange of emails. (Thanks once again to that suppler if you are reading this post. I know you are frequently on-line in the forum.)

No judgement was made on my part as to original posters decision making ablilty or the criteria they would use or whether they could suck eggs correctly. Just like the majority of individual CSers that post I was offering my recent experience when I was in a similar position.

Originally posted by 323734343A3324560 link=1322968554/2#2 date=1322995667
              As the previous poster suggested - check with the other site sponsors listed here too if you want comparisons.
              I think this states it pretty clearly. I dont want to get into sponsor-wars (or heaven-forbid even suggest they exist at all). But is strange that nearly identical requests for information have been routinely made on this forum in the past and responses similar to mine abound. Biut you never know, maybe dissing respondents will become a new sport ?

Im certainly up for it!!!!
              [/vent]

[edit]And as they say "the proof of the pudging (damned virtual keyboards!) pudding is in the eating".[/edit]
              Originally posted by 4B5845474B5E43494D4B462A0 link=1322968554/3#3 date=1323477255
              Thanks for all the advice, will contact them all

Comment

Wow.........you do feel "dissed".

No venting here and contrary to the volumes that I can normally write, this is quite brief.

Only one sentence in my response referred to your post. The rest was seasoned advice (or my opinion if you wish) in this public forum, to aromatic. If you gained the impression I was "dissing" you, that was not the intention.

I am happy to let my reply to aromaitc stand in toto for him to do whatever he wants with it together with the other replies to the topic.

If aromatic googles Silvia he will come up with a handful of Australian sites that will sell him the equipment at rock bottom price. Let the buyer beware and go into it with all the info at hand, and that I believe is what he was asking for.

Attilio

Comment

Originally posted by 4B4E4D4D434A5D2F0 link=1322968554/6#6 date=1323499990
                  Respondent dabbler never mentioned *after* sales anything, excellent or otherwise.
                  No but the OP did

Originally posted by 4E5D40424E5B464C484E432F0 link=1322968554/0#0 date=1322968554
                  that also offers excellent after sales service
                  Its not all about you ;D

Comment

Hey Attilio,
                    Nope not especially feeling dissed but I think you have gone a long way toward dissing everyone that has ever purchased "away from home".

Im not sure aromatic expected guidelines on how to spend hard earned dollars. The question was "where" not "how". This is after all coffee-oriented site not "Purchasing 101".

Frankly, judging by past threads on virtually identical questions, I expected more replies would have appeared from CS members who made similar purchases and aromatic would have a good straw poll to work with.

I respect your comment about only making one reference to my post however apart from the fact it was misquoted or at best, misinterpreted, much of the remainder of your post hinged upon this reference and the context in which I originally made my comment and the inevitable negative implications for anyone taking the same path.

You could have just as easily given your opinion on after sales service without mentioning *any* previous posts. I stand by my interpretation of your post, that you wanted to make a point about the mindless folly of interstate purchases. That would be okay if you qualified the overall statement or if you apparently didnt embrace it yourself in one way or another.

I dont expect you to change your post and I certainly dont ask you to do so. I would never dispute your right to your opinion, commercial or otherwise, but I do think all CS posters should dispute facts when they are clearly incorrect or provided with no supporting evidence.

If I have misinterpreted your posts or I have my facts wrong, I wont be offended if you tell me and the other CS members but dont forget to provide supporting evidence.

I also think Ill  leave the thread at this point rather than have moderators move it off-topic. These exchanges do little for other members.
                    dabbler

Comment

Originally posted by 754156405B6C705C55555656330 link=1322968554/4#4 date=1323489294

May I respectfully suggest that the actuality of *excellence in after sales service* hasnt yet been tested by respondent dabbler  This can only be tested properly when your machine in Brisbane develops a problem, and you find out from your retailer if the machine needs to be sent back to them for service and for warranty claim. This is also when you find out if it is at your cost that the machine goes back and forth in transport.
                      While dabbler may not have had to test the warranty service of the retailer, he may very well have been in contact with them regards other after sales question. After sales service is more than just warranty issues. In fact often the warranty has very little to do with the retailer as it is handled by the manufacturer and you simply take your machine in to your nearest service agent for repairs.

How happy is a retailer to answer questions after hes made the sale. Is he happy to assist with advise, or does he all of the sudden no longer want to know you. That is IMHO a very large component of after sales service.

That having been said, I find that with a lot of these type of purchases, it is indeed more convenient to deal with a local distributor, as then there is no need to even think about where to take the machine when there is an issue. For the sake of a few dollars, this convenience factor may very well be what tips the balance in your decision making.

Comment

Im in SEQ and bought my Silvia from Coffee-A-Roma also and was happy.

Like the majority who purchase a Silvia I have not needed any after sales service as my machine has been problem free. With the right treatment its one of the most reliable machines you could get, especially for the price.

Comment

Working...
                        X