Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lelit PL042TEMD Combi with PID

Lelit PL042TEMD - Combi with PID

Specifications[list bull-redball][*]Made: Italy[*]Brand: Lelit[*]Model: PL042TEMD[*]Ideal tamper size: 57.5 mm[*]Materials: Stainless steel body[*]Boiler: 250ml brass[*]Dual mode PID temperature controller (brew and steam)[*]Ball jointed steam wand[*]9BAR OPV[*]Tank capacity: 3.5 litres[*]Power: 1250W[*]Filter basket: 57.9mm[*]Size: 32cm wide x 27cm deep x 37cm high[*]Weight 12.2 kg[/list]Included accessories[list bull-redball][*]ESE filter basket[*]Single filter basket[*]Double filter basket[*]Blind filter[*]1 Portafilter[*]Plastic coffee scoop[*]Plastic tamper (built in)[/list]Australian stock arrives in a week or two.

Re: Lelit PL042TEMD Combi with PID

Thats a nice looking unit, be ideal for someone without much space or looking for a portable unit.

Be interesting to see what the time difference between pouring a shot and being up to steam temp is.

Comment

yes the dual function boiler is the cruncher - waiting for the steam to get ready. i had a Qaha neapolitan which looked very similar ( but nowhere near as good as this unit ) and switching to the dual thermoblock sunbeam 6910 was a huge eye-opener being able to do steam and coffee together.

is it a 58mm portafilter?

Originally posted by 5F594E455F5840422B0 link=1323903611/1#1 date=1323910301
      Thats a nice looking unit, be ideal for someone without much space or looking for a portable unit.

Be interesting to see what the time difference between pouring a shot and being up to steam temp is.

Comment

The delay isnt that bad, Ive never timed it, but its just enough time to get to the fridge, fill your milk jug and then come back

- the PID reading is then useful because it shows the temp of the boiler  -

I open the valve at about 120c and let the steam run for a bit before putting the milk in, this lets the spluttering period pass and then the element stays on the whole time.

Its just under a 58mm portafilter, something like 57.8 - hence the 57.5mm tamper

Comment

Originally posted by 2A342C2137342F2E400 link=1323903611/3#3 date=1323915682
          The delay isnt that bad, Ive never timed it, but its just enough time to get to the fridge, fill your milk jug and then come back
          I agree. I have the non-combi version teamed with a Lelit grinder for holidays and other situations where portability is an asset. My wife drank her holiday coffees as happily as those from the Giotto on the bench at home. Says she couldnt really tell the difference. Certainly the single boiler takes a little extra effort, but to be honest I enjoyed the slightly more "hands-on" approach to coffee making. Although I am completely happy with my stand alone Lelit grinder and coffee machine, if the combi with PID had been available when I made my purchase thats probably what Id have bought simply because I think it would pack just that little bit easier.

Best wishes, Russell.

Comment

Having a Lelit combi is so so good for travel. Took it with me to Kangaroo Island recently and I had great coffee every morning. ;D Only bad thing was I didnt bring enough beans with me and sourcing fresh roasted beans on KI was no easy task.
            Good to see the Lelit team constantly coming up with better products to compete in the market.

Comment

Thats really quick then to get the steam, cant recall how long but at least a minute for qaha to steam.

Originally posted by 243A222F393A21204E0 link=1323903611/3#3 date=1323915682

- the PID reading is then useful because it shows the temp of the boiler  -

I open the valve at about 120c and let the steam run for a bit before putting the milk in, this lets the spluttering period pass and then the element stays on the whole time.

Its just under a 58mm portafilter, something like 57.8 - hence the 57.5mm tamper 

Comment

Originally posted by 3D2D3A2B2B2D3A3E3D265F0 link=1323903611/6#6 date=1323951528
                Thats really quick then to get the steam, cant recall how long but at least a minute for qaha to steam.
                Definitely under a minute on the Lelit. When I had the Lelit at home I also used the delay to my benefit. My method after pulling the shot was to purge the steam wand of water first, close the steam then open the fridge, take out both the jug and the milk out of the fridge, fill the jug, put back the milk and by the time Ive done all this theres plenty of steam to play with.

Comment

Hi,
                  Im very new to coffee machines and am seriously considering the Lelit combi due to space restrictions.

I have noticed 2x variations of this machine; the nice looking version from JetBlack and a more older style from Talk Coffee.
                  The older style has a 300ml boiler.

Any benefit with the extra 50ml boiler is my question?

Thank you.

Comment

Hi Ali,

I am 99% certain that they are actually the same and it may be our specs which are out. As for which model, choose whichever you prefer with the knowledge that theyre just different models and all in production- sorta like cars I guess. The PID is very worthwhile if you have the $$$ to get it.

FWIW, my recommendation has always been PL041 and seperate grinder over combi unless there is a very good reason to combine them. The bonus is that if half the equation needs repair for any reason, you still have coffee.

Comment

Yes they both have the same boiler capacity, and it is 250ml.

charlie

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies.

Hmm...this does give more room for thought.
                        I actually wanted to purchase a Silvia and a Sunbeam 0480 grinder, but my wife isnt keen on the two pieces of equipment, and Im concerned about the noise level of the Sunbeam (read on this forum that its quite loud), as Ive got a 4yo & 10month old baby; pre bicycle work commute coffee anyone

I read that a 300ml boiler is best to froth 500ml of milk...therefore I thought Rancilio.

Comment

50ml isnt going to make any difference to speed of texturing. On either brand (Lelit/Rancilio) we would recommend that you do that amount of milk in two lots with a boiler fill after the first lot anyway.

charlie

Comment

From what I have seen the silvia and lelit are very similar in performance with steam (and shots), the silvia perhaps a bit better on the steam (I believe it has a higher temp thermostat for steam). The silvia has a VERY small drip tray though.

Grinding and using either of these machines (or the sunbeam) is not really queit, it would probably wake up light sleeping kids. Mine certainly does.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 3221273E323D530 link=1323903611/13#13 date=1326065780
                              From what I have seen the silvia and lelit are very similar in performance with steam (and shots), the silvia perhaps a bit better on the steam (I believe it has a higher temp thermostat for steam). 
                              Not any more! Our Lelits are now specced with the higher temp thermostats (and have been for the last few shipments), so steam performance is on a par with the Silvia.

Of course the model in question - PL042TEMD doesnt have said thermostat, the PID is driving the steam temperature. Steam performance is even better than the non-pidded versions because there is no lag to the element being powered on when the steam tap is opened.

As a side note, the standard bimetallic thermostats found on most single boiler machines all have a dead band before they click on or off so they end up clicking later than wed like which results in sub optimal steam pressure and brew water temperature variation. Not the end of the world, but a dual mode PID overcomes these issues.

charlie

Comment

Working...
                              X