Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade in machine

Hi all

I live in Melbourne and have an old red Rancilio Lucy. Im not sure how old she is as I bought her second hand about 5 years ago. She still works.

Does anyone know of dealers that will take a trade in on a new machine and grinder? Im looking to spend around $1000 + Lucy. Any suggestions on a replacement? Im thinking Silvia and Rocky.

Cheers

Francis

Re: Trade in machine

Hi and welcome to CS!

Isnt the Lucy a Silvia and Rocky in the one package, hence you wouldnt be really upgrading as such.

Not sure if anyone does any trade ins on old machines, but you could email all the sponsors at once (email address at the bottom of the sponsors list on the left) and the ones who can help will respond.

You could list the sale on here, decent machines like that seem to sell well.

Maybe list what you are mainly after in the new machine and what sort of coffee you drink, how many you make at a time etc and then people can suggest something.

Cheers

Comment

Isnt the Lucy essentially a Silvia plus a grinder? If so, I see this more as as a sidestep...

Not sure about a trade in... But if you want to consider selling it, then using the money to upgrade, here is a recent link to a Lucy that sold on CS a few weeks ago.

Edit: Artman, didnt realise you had also posted. Had the open reply open and got distracted. Good to see were on the same track.

Comment

You may also want to consider some of the PID controlled Lelit machines on offer from Jetblack. New stocks are about to arrive.

Another suggestion is to look at the Compak K3 Push which is a better grinder than the Rocky for about the same price.

Like previously suggested, you may want to consider selling the Lucy privately. What is it youre looking for in your next set up that Lucy doesnt offer? Or are you simply wanting something new?

Comment

I agree with the reply posts as well Francis,

Best bet is to give it any TLC it may require and then place it up for sale here once you have satisfied the requirements of the site sales policy.

Id think as a trade, you may only get a coupla hundy, but you will do better here. Keep the extra $$$ to put towards the new kit.

The Silvia/Lelit etc will be pretty much identical to what you already have and in fact Silvia/Rocky is exactly the same. The next step up would be to look for a machine which has a heat exchanger (HX) or dual boiler. The spend for anything good starts at a RRP of $1.5k upwards and more like $2k for a quality Italian machine.

Were in Melbourne as well and if youd like to chat over some possibilities, were happy to help.

Happy shopping.

Chris

Comment

Thank you for your replies

To answer your questions Im mainly looking for something new.

I would make around 2-3 cups per day and usually thats around 70% espresso 30% latte, so Im not sure about the duel boiler, but I have been looking at the Breville.

Apart from faster steam would the Breville make better coffee than the Sylvia or the PID Lelit?

Chris do you stock the PID Lelit?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by 7C687B74797369786A7F6868731A0 link=1324114637/5#5 date=1324164687
              Apart from faster steam would the Breville make better coffee than the Sylvia or the PID Lelit?
              Id doubt it Francis. The bottom line is great grind, fresh beans and good technique. All three are good machines, but the Breville is an appliance and it will come down to which suits you best.  Do put aside money for a good grinder. Id be suggesting the Compak K3 Push or similar.

We do sell the PID Lelit and are currently have one on the demo bench

Cheers

Chris

Comment

My opinion is it would be a shame to pay good money to only take a sideways step. I have no idea what the Lelit PID machine is like in comparo to the Lucy set up, but when you visit Chris that is what I would be looking at (comparo lucy to pid lelit). If you think it is not much more than a sideways step for muchos denaro then it will pay you to look at a nice small size HX while you are there!

Forget the trade in, buy outright, and sell the Lucy independently ( here or wherever).

My three dollar notes worth

Rgdz,
                A.

Comment

Originally posted by 1A2E392F34031F333A3A39395C0 link=1324114637/7#7 date=1324169526
                  it will pay you to look at a nice small size HX while you are there!
                  Lucy = Silvia + Rocky combo in one.  Going to a Silvia + Rocky would be pointless IMO.
                  Go the Heat exchange for sure as the next step up from a Lucy.  Sell the Lucy plus your intended $1k and you can get a brand new Nuova Simonelli Oscar.  Ofcourse youre down one grinder....but you might be able to get a demo or a decent used grinder or Vise Versa. 

Comment

I think people arent really listening to the OP here. 
                    Originally posted by 6B7F6C636E647E6F7D687F7F640D0 link=1324114637/5#5 date=1324164687
                    To answer your questions Im mainly looking for something new.

I would make around 2-3 cups per day and usually thats around 70% espresso 30% latte
                    Although the Oscar is a good machine (currently drinking an iced coffee with a double shot made from one) it may not suit Francis needs.  There may not be any need or advantage to go to a small HX, not to mention that it would mean spending an extra $1K above budget.

Best advice is to go and see Chris...discuss what you need and Im sure hell sort you out with the right machine.

Comment

Many thanks again for your replies, they have been helpful.

Chris Ill PM you about a visit

Comment

Working...
                      X