Breville BES860 good enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville BES860 good enough?

Im looking at the BES860 for overall value/convenience.

Would this machine be good enough for the average coffee drinker making mostly cappucinos?

Ive seen u guys pick at most mainstream machines pretty hard but i want to make pretty good coffee at home, not start charging ppl for my coffees.

Re: Breville BES860 good enough?

Hi HH and welcome to CS. I think youll find most of us here are pretty fair and will only knock a machine if it doesnt deliver the good, irrespective of brand. For example Breville used this site as part of their marketing campaign for introducing their 900 double boiler.

I have little experience with the Fresca but you can use the search button at top of the page to bring up lots of information from previous posts.

Early on there were reports that the grinder could not grind fine enough but that this could be corrected with a mod. Not sure if this is still an issue.

Comment

The lelit combi would make better coffee at a similar price, but maybe not as user friendly as the 860.

With good fresh beans the 860 will go pretty good but I think you may have to modify the grinder to get a fine enough grind with a single wall basket.

Comment

As Caffeine junky said, there are a few good threads around the place discussing the 860.

I own one, and it is exactly that... good enough. Its not the best, and probably not the worst. Its very user friendly and with fresh beans it does a more than adequate job and the vast majority of people would be happy with it. IMO it is at the bottom of the range of the more serious espresso machines (in that it comes with single wall filters) alongside the sunbeam 6910 + 0480 combo (similar price with 2 thermoblocks but larger footprint). The Lelit Combi is a step up again with a boiler, the price of it is only comparable if you pay full retail for the 860 which you would be very silly to do.

The grinder in mine was fine but I had to use the finest setting so I did the quick mod and now I have some lattitude to play with.

Hope that helps a bit, if your only doing one or two capps in a session youll be happy, but theres always better out there and if you can afford it, youll get better with a more serious machine.

Comment

Just picked up this machine for $570, hope it treats me well for a couple of years.

Comment

Congratulations heinzhummer, as always well be interested in feedback once youre up and running.

Comment

Working...
            X