Breville > Gaggia > Rancilio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville > Gaggia > Rancilio

I posted a few days ago about upgrading my Breville Burr grinder to a Gaggia MDF . . . well, in the process of my google search I then decided that I need to upgrade my Breville 800 to a Gaggia Classic as well. AND NOW . . . want to upgrade to the Rancilio v3 with a rocky. Have I gone too far? I can afford to upgrade to the Gaggia now as I can work it out to only be $200 or so out of pocket. However if I went from the Breville to the Rancilio I cant get them so easily second hand so will have to sit tight for a while and will most certainly be more than $200 out of pocket, Id say about $600 out of pocket which I cant afford right now.

So, is the extra $400 worth it? I make about 1-2 cups a day and appreciate a machine which assists me in the goal towards perfect milk. Would it be an idea to go the second hand Gaggia option and then SAVE SAVE SAVE for a year or two to then outlay to get a new Rancilio set up?

Re: Breville > Gaggia > Rancilio

Im not entirely sure theres that big a difference between the Gaggia and the Silvia, Could just be a matter of personal preference, but theyre both Brass boilers, with professional sized portafilters (sure, theres nuances between the two, namely the gaggias steam-arm is Panerelloed badly)

One of the others might chime in here to disagree with me on that, but in real world terms, You could probably get just as good, if not better coffee from the Gaggia as you could from the Silvia

its just that the Silvia looks shinier

Out of curiosity, Im guessing youre looking at secondhand machines at this point? Have you considered Lelit/quaha/nemox machines? Theyre very similar to the Silvia, but at a more Gaggia Classic style price.

Comment

Nope, havent seen those. Will have a looksie. Was hoping for one that I could easily get serviced and parts for in Melbourne.

Comment

Sorry Laughing@Fate.  The Silvias brass boiler is twice the volume (300ml), as the Classic, which has an aluminium boiler.
        Phil

Comment

Originally posted by 131B181B530A610 link=1324458519/3#3 date=1324470544
          Sorry Laughing@Fate.  The Silvias brass boiler is twice the volume (300ml), as the Classic, which has an aluminium boiler.
          Phil
          Okay, so they have minor differences, The Classic has a (stainless lined) aluminium boiler, the silvia has a (larger) brass boiler

A bigger boiler isnt the be-all and end-all either, You have a trade off with that, its slower to heat the silvias boiler then what it is to heat the Classics, but the silvia can probably froth more milk before its depleted its production

But then, this is all much of a muchness and quibbling over small biscuits when it still doesnt appear that the Silvia is that huge step up from the Classic that something like, say, a HX would be

Comment

Working...
          X