X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM6910 or Breville BES900 ?

Hi All

1st time post so go easy......

I am by no means a coffee snob........yet.......rather an aspiring newbie that is getting caught up in a bit of a drama that is brewing....lol

I have had a Sunbeam EM6910 for approx 4 years and it has worked faultlessly until last week.  It basically stopped releasing its pressure into the drip tray in its normal manner after pulling a shot.  Then the pump starting making an additionally loud and terse rattle....even more than usual.......and now it seems to be leaking water from its nether regions.  Alas...it seems to be on its last legs and is probably contemplating making its last espresso for me as we speak !!!........ :P

My question to the wider coffee snob fraternity then.....

Do I get it serviced......?
    Do I buy a new unit...EM6910 again
    Do I go for something like the Breville BES900

My wife and I enjoy our coffee and we enjoy making a decent espresso or latte for our family and friends.

An E61 type machine is prohibitive in price and i expect that one would need a decent grinder to get the best out of an entry level E61  ( Expobar office Leva ? )

So what do I do here.....whats the best option ....?
    We have been happy with the EM6910.......but just seems kinda weird to fork out decent coin for the same machine again.....and even weirder to have to fork out possibly $300+ to get it repaired....... :

Dunno what to do........all I know is that I have to do something quick as I dont want to have to drive past my local cafe for my morning fix for longer than a day or 2.

What do you think ?   Any advice - guidance would be much appreciated.   The EM6910 is at HN for $649 with the EMO480 thrown in.

The Breville is substantially more expensive at @ $1400.....not sure if you get a grinder deal with that ??

My ideal would be the EXPOBAR Minore IV.......but my coin just wont stretch that far........

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Sunbeam EM6910 or Breville BES900 ?

Originally posted by 3524202C2B2D27410 link=1324986041/0#0 date=1324986041
    My ideal would be the EXPOBAR Minore IV.......but my coin just wont stretch that far........
    Hi I will have the same predicoment one day too.
    We need to ask how many $649 go into an EXPOBAR and equivalent grinder Hmm Tough Maths.
    Good luck with the maths but dont get too much down time. I have herd of a Sunbeam upgrade but will come with upgraded price I gess. The grinder deal is not too bad.
    All the best Peter

Comment

Thanks Pete

Sunbeam Upgrade you say ?
      Hmmmmm.......anyone else privvy to this.

I expect as soon as I buy something they will release it.
      Probably something more akin to the BES900

Either way - I expect I will be out at the retailers haggling in the next day or so....I already have the shakes......

Comment

Originally posted by 6C7D797572747E180 link=1324986041/2#2 date=1325025964
        I expect as soon as I buy something they will release it.Probably something more akin to the BES900
        Yes more things to go wrong. Thats probably why the EM6910 are so cheep as upgrade on way. Well at least you had 4 years on the old one.

Comment

Originally posted by 5D4D495D0F3C0 link=1324986041/3#3 date=1325026487
          Yes more things to go wrong. Thats probably why the EM6910 are so cheep as upgrade on way. Well at least you had 4 years on the old one
          Well thats the strangest thing about it. The EM6910 has always been sold for around the $640 - $700 mark. The price they are selling it now is not a "special" per se. They occasionally throw in the EMO480 every now and then - but they were doing that grinder promotion from day 1.

I wish they were doing a MODEL RUN OUT SALE for a substantially reduced price....would make my decision a hell of a lot easier and quicker. As it stands - Im still in a state of flux on which replacement machine to buy as I need something quick.

If there is a successor / replacement to the EM6910 - I would really love to hear about it.

Comment

I have often thought about this for when my 6910 dies (or I kill it!!). My current plan is to go to a decent shop and spend a bit of time trying things out. Not sure what sponsors are still selling the BES900, but I reckon the only way to do it is to try. I even plan on taking my usual beans so hopefully I can do a decent comparison. Im prepared to pay a bit more for a bit of decent information if Im spending around $1500.

Also (hate to throw in something else to think about, but), keep in mind the grinder is at least as important as the espresso machine (probably more important). I used the EM0480 for nearly two years and now have a Smart Grinder and can definitely tell the difference in the cup and in consistency. Good luck with your deliberations!!

Comment

Youre not comparing apples to apples - 6910 or 900? 900 hands down, its $1500 for a reason.

What is your budget? Buy the best grinder you can afford - if you can afford to move away from the included sunbeam grinder, then do so. Also consider that your Brevilles and Sunbeams are appliances, and 4 years is a good run. Over the next 15 years, thats $2400. Now, spend that on a quality HX combo which will last 15 years, and have much better coffee for 15 years and I know what Id prefer!

Have you tried descaling your Sunbeam? sounds like it could just be blocked and backing up.

Comment

Thanks Iandb
                I have never descaled the EM6910. We do however backflush regularly and only use filtered water. The machine has become a little bit noisier lately and last time I backflushed it was this morning to see if it actually would release the pressure and water into the drip tray. Previously - the backflush would just back up the pressure and you had to remove the Group handle very slowly to release the pressure. This morning the backflush worked again.....the pressure released after I backflushed - however - the water is not going into the drip tray !!!!!!! It is now just leaking out of the machine.........

Looks like the pressure release valve or the tubing going from it to the drip tray have separated somewhere ????

The machine ( now known to us as SUNNY ) still pulls shots and the coffee is drinkable. Im not sure how safe it is to be continually using it considering it fills its pants with water now every time a backflush is instigated.

I fully understand your logic on the long term outlay and it is this dilemma we have been dicsussing incessantly over the past week and hence why I joined up here for some direction and advice. $2400 over the next 15 years is more than acceptable - problem is - you dont spend that outlay over a 15 year period. To purchase a reasonable e61 machine - you need to pay the vendor in 1 hit...not over an extended period...the money needs to leave your pocked instantly.

I guess Ill need to go an check the BES900 out and also check to see if it comes with a grinder included. I also like the fact that it uses a boiler instead of a thermoblock. The thermo block in our SUNNy has been very kind to us as is definitely not a negative.......although I do feel it can be somewhat inconsistent. Im guessing the boiler system will be more consistent.

Thanks again - the more info I gather - the better decision I can make for the given outlay.

Comment

Originally posted by 5647434F484E44220 link=1324986041/7#7 date=1325037713
                  the water is not going into the drip tray !!!!!!! It is now just leaking out of the machine.
                  I suspect the 3-way valve or whatever the sunbeam uses has blocked, and the pipe has probably popped off from the pressure. If youre handy, you could probably fix it, standard disclaimer applies about mixing water, 240V AC, and humans!

I understand the outlay problem. You could (if Sunny recovers) wait for a second-hand HX. Theyre not in abundance, but they do come up. I did the same, with some issues that had to be fixed, but now Im quite happy with it.

You could also consider a single-boiler such as a Lelit or Silvia. And make sure the seller is a long-time CS member!

I guess Ill need to go an check the BES900 out and also check to see if it comes with a grinder included.
                  Big retailers are selling the 900 and smart grinder for $1500ish.
                  I also like the fact that it uses a boiler instead of a thermoblock. ... Im guessing the boiler system will be more consistent.
                  Two boilers as opposed to two thermoblocks. More consistent, yes. More steam too. Youll definitely be happy with the 900, but just remember the expected lifetime.

keep the questions coming

Comment

Hi

I have just answered the same question and upgraded from an EM6910 to the BES900.

Having bought a 6900 that died and was replaced with a 6910 that went through 2 replacement collars, many many seals and a replaced control board, I decided enough was enough when the collar gave up again last week.

The BES900 is MUCH quieter, textures milk MUCH better (steam is dry compared to the 6910) and gives between an equal and much better shot than the 6910 did.

It takes a bit of fiddling to get your temp etc. just right, but then so did the 6910 and on that it seemed a little more blind luck rather than adjusting.

I had similar financial problems - Id love to buy an Electra, but its kind of hard to stump up that much cash at the moment.

As everyone else is commenting, I cant comment on the longevity of the BES900, but it does seem to be built well. Only time will tell on that one!

Hope some of that helps you somewhat.

Comment

OK.........on my way to Harvey Norman to pick up a BES900.
                      They did me a deal of 1400 with the BCG800 Smart Grinder.

Will set it up tonight and see how it goes out of the box.
                      Its not the EXPOBAR Minore IV Ive been dreaming about - but at half the price considering I would have needed a new high end grinder........I guess it will have to do.

I just hope I get a good one out of the box and it doesnt suffer from issues from the get go.

Comment

OK - so I get to Harvey Norman and the staff tell me that there was a Warehouse error with Inventory. They have a DEMO box for the BES900 and the unit is actually on the floor pulling shots for demos.......

No choice then.......with hands trembling and the vision of waking up this morning without a freshly ground shot.....I opt for the " in stock" old faithfull Sunbeam EM6910.

I explain forcefully my dismay at their error......haggle the EM6910 down to almost wholesale price.....lol.......pay my dues and leave the building.

Got it home......unboxed it......mmmmmm........very shiny !!
                        Checked it over and discover a broken hot water wand..... >

Runs to the garage....removes the Hot water wand from the dead E6910 and proceeds to instal the unbroken wand. The one on the machine seemes to have broken its thread and was hanging limp from the machine.......Sunbeam Quality control at its most sophisticated.

Fills up water tank.......turns machine on.......notice that the Low water warning light is flashing ???

Begin purge process - pumps now working and steam and water are ready to go........Low water warning light is still flashing .

Turn machine off......wait a while.......remove the water tank....check everything is fine....water is topped up....turn machine back on.........Low water warning light is still flashing .

At this point in time......Im wishing It was earlier on in the day so I could ring Sunbeam and give them a piece of my mind for what seems to be an absolute shambles.....how did this unit even make it to packaging.

Runs to computer......google searches........EM6910 low water warning light will not go off.

Seems Im not the only one to experience this little gem of a problem. Anyways....seems that some of these machines may have been fitted with a "weak" magnet in the water compartment . This weak magnet does not trigger the correct water level reading on the machine hence the machine thinks its always out of water.

Commentary on google search suggests to get a powerful fridge magnet ( flat type ) and insert between the water tank and machine body to turn light off...however - light will always stay off regardless of low water.....not a great option.

Puts thinking cap on........runs back out to garage and removes magnet from old machine and puts into new water tank........discards old magnet into rubbish bin.

Put water tank back into the machine......hey presto.....no blinking Low water light.

Grinds up some beans......tamp......pull a shot on the new machine.......Hallelujah.......actually made quite a nice espresso shot.

There then ends this tale of woe.......replaced my old SUNNY with a new SUNNY.......only to have the wand and magnet from the OLD SUNNY live on in the new one.
                        MAchine is now working fine and making some very good espresso .

SUNBEAM.......get your act together with your QC.....SHOCKING !!!!!!!!........ :P

Comment

Sounds like it could have suffered a fall or hard knock somewhere - what else is damaged or "almost" loose? If I were you I would have taken it back asap to the shop for a straight swap - if you do it without using theyll often swap on the spot without asking any questions.

You could have also haggled an included BCG800 with your new Sunny.

Werent there any other retailers offering the 900?

In any case, the good stuff is flowing again!

Comment

Nothing else seems to be damaged........apart from the wand. The packaging was all in good shape - The unit was in new condition - all selas - hinges - surfaces were in new condition. Just looks like they snapped the thread on the water wand when assembling and never bothered to replace it prior to packaging !!!! The brass thread did look slightly pitted / corroded....

The unit came with the SUNMBEAM Burr Grinder as a package deal - so now i have 2 of the SUNNY Burr Grinders. I will store the new one to be used for when the current one dies.

I phoned around 2 0r 3 local retailers and they were all stocked out of the BES900......had to wait a couple of days for new stock.......too long....... ;D

At the rate they are flying out the door......I just hope they are screwing them together properly.

In the interim - Im back to enjoying my home brew and crossing my fingers there are no further issues with the "new" SUNNY.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and help for this newbie......much appreciated.

Comment

Nice to hear an (eventually) happy outcome. Happy brewing!!

Comment

Working...
                              X