Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy BES900 + BCG800 bundle?

Hi,

First post here so pardon me if the question is inappropriate. Im a newbie but my wife and I both enjoyed coffee and we have recently decided to get ourselves a proper coffee machine. I have never owned one and will like to get a good set to start with. I spent some time looking through this forum and looking at what David Jones have on display.

To cut the story short we decided to put our money on the BES900 and BCG800 combo. The problem is, where can I get them at a bundle (and preferably discounted cost) ? I cant seem to find it in the forum and DJ doesnt sell them as a bundle, in fact they dont even have the BCG800 the last time I checked.

Anyone can help me with this?

Re: Where to buy BES900 + BCG800 bundle?

HN had some last time I was in there, I think you can shop online there now so try their website

Comment

HN and GG sell both, whether they bundle them though is up to the store, at present people dont seem to be able to buy them for much less than $1500 even though early in the piece a lot of people were getting them for around the $1200-1300 mark.

The big retailers arent really interested in giving them a prime spot and dont stock many, not when they have so many people interested in Nespresso and think what comes out of pods taste great and wouldnt waste their time on a manual machine when you can just pop the pod in and press a button.

Interestingly enough the BES900 isnt available online

Comment

I dont think the sponsors have any left, although you could ask them. I was in DJs today and they had $15 off for every $75 spent, that would make the machine $1200 and the grinder $240.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 667D746570667D7C73617067150 link=1325325506/2#2 date=1325330991
          people dont seem to be able to buy them for much less than $1500

the one I saw in HN was less than $1400, maybe even less than $1300, I only looked to see if they had one so wasnt paying too much attention.

Comment

thanks guys Im gonna try my luck at westfield in bondi for the bes900. the is a HN and David Jones there so maybe i might come back with one today

Comment

If youre in Bondi why not drop in on Renzo and Ofra at Di Bartoli and have a look at some cool coffee machines....may save you from a bout of upgradeitis in a few months...

Sniff

Comment

Originally posted by 29372F2234372C2D430 link=1325325506/6#6 date=1325408806
                If youre in Bondi why not drop in on Renzo and Ofra at Di Bartoli and have a look at some cool coffee machines....may save you from a bout of upgradeitis in a few months...

Sniff
                thanks for pointing that out. . Ill drop by but their machines are out of my budget so i doubt i will be able to afford anything there. I got myself the bes900 in the end from DJ at $1199 so Im pretty happy with that price. they ran out of stock for the bcg800 grinder though so i will have to try my luck somewhere else tomorrow.

Comment

Finally got my hands on both!

Comment

Guys I just bought the BES900 and BCG800 combo for $1390 at a non-sponsor in Auburn. So if you want a good deal maybe I can scan a copy of the receipt so you can get a price match.

Comment

Originally posted by 765D5F5146595D5F51340 link=1325325506/9#9 date=1327051504
                      Guys I just bought the BES900 and BGC800 combo for $1390 at The some non-sponsor Auburn. So if you want a good ideal maybe I can scan a copy of the receipt so you can get a price match.
                      Geez, that wasnt too far under their wholesale cost price at all. You should have tried harder!  ;D

Comment

I followed the hype and launch of the BES900 on Coffee Snobs....how come this bundle isnt available from sponsors?(at a special Coffee Snobs price)

Valvster

Comment

Originally posted by 366971676C676B6262616169656A040 link=1325325506/10#10 date=1327052005
                          Originally posted by 765D5F5146595D5F51340 link=1325325506/9#9 date=1327051504
                          Guys I just bought the BES900 and BGC800 combo for $1390 at The some non-sponsor Auburn. So if you want a good ideal maybe I can scan a copy of the receipt so you can get a price match.
                          Geez, that wasnt too far under their wholesale cost price at all. You should have tried harder!  ;D
                          I would have loved to buy from a sponsor but it was an on the spot decision and they offer a 30 day price guarantee. I cant wait till we start to see the sale of naked portafilters for this.

Comment

Originally posted by 40777A6065627364160 link=1325325506/11#11 date=1327052271
                            I followed the hype and launch of the BES900 on Coffee Snobs....how come this bundle isnt available from sponsors?(at a special Coffee Snobs price)

Valvster
                            Yep- Ill grab that.

Hello Valvester,

There were 2 sponsors who committed to the DB/Smart grinder- Cuppacoffee and Talk Coffee. While stock was tight early on, we were provided with wholesale pricing which allowed us to sell these machines and make a small, though acceptable margin. To put it crudely, we also put our culos on the line to promote a good value buy. 

When supplies improved, the majors received product and it rapidly became very obvious that the playing field was far from level as the biggies were able to sell at 15% or more under our purchase price. I saved over $100 on wholesale by purchasing our final 3 smart grinders from a local store.

We requested support to allow us to compete, but sadly none was forthcoming- so although Breville initially voiced commitment to sales through specialty retailers, the reality was that it wasnt ever a priority. Both sponsors received abuse and criticism and I was on the receiving end of some very nasty posts, PMs and email containing accusations of price gouging on this gear and other charming content. My opinion is that we were pretty much "hung out to dry". The last couple of machines we had were sold at a loss.

The wash-up of this was that there was no option other than to delete the range.

I could write a whole heap more here, but will leave it at that. Suffice to say that we have concentrated our energies back into beautifully built, high quality espresso machines and will leave the appliance retailers to fight it out amongst the plastic.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

I agree with Chris 100%. My friend just bought the bes900 and grinder combo for $1250!!!

The behaviour of Breville can either be described as very clever/shrewd/savvy marketing or grubby - you decide.

So they create a very good machine and they decided to whet peoples appetites by approaching specialty coffee retailers and respected coffee forums like this one and coffeegeek etc, so its reputation preceded it before its launch via viral means through forums etc. Got everyone talking about it including a few site sponsors who were understandably impressed with what it could produce in the cup.... THEN they just decide to flood the market via the majors (which they were always going to do) but not support the specialty guy who had given them all the free advertising they ever needed via coffee forums all over the world. Im a bit old fashioned but to me thats poor form. Breville never intended to have their machine sold through specialty coffee retailers. They just needed the free advertising that comes through forums like this. Even their launch video at Mecca has heaps of A-list coffee people interviewed to make them look like the BES900 is the best thing since sliced bread!! Again very clever marketing. Well theyre not getting my vote. Having played with my friends machine I must say it produces reasonable results in the cup - but I prefer to come home to my shiny VBM Jnr with its shots beautifully thick with velvety crema any day 8-)

Comment

Working...
                              X