Illy Francis Francis X1 Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illy Francis Francis X1 Opinions?

I was just wondering if there are any opinions on these machines?

price wise they in the Silvia range....are they as good or better?

Last machine was a Sunbeam EM6910 that died an early death (yes I know, join the club!).

Thanks

Re: Illy Francis Francis X1 Opinions?

Hello Tony,

They are just another POD machine and they do have a market, but its not your average CSer. Whilst convenient, they will not offer terrific quality coffee and you are locked into lower quality, pricey and usually stale PODs. I recall that Cosmorex once sold the mahcine, but am unsure if they still do.

My opinion is that you would be far better off with a Silvia, Lelit or similar, a good grinder and fresh coffee. If you want to take a step up, perhaps consider the Breville DB which can be purchased at under the wholesale buy price the biggies pay.

Might be an idea to remove the link as well as it breaches site posting policy.

Good luck.

Chris

Comment

Link removed.

I thought these could be used with or without the pods....so you could used normal ground coffee...but i will take your word on that.

There is one available for around $300 that is usually $925....seemed like a good deal!

Comment

Do you mean the one listed with an online auction site?
        From the listing I read it appears to be used probably replaced then re-conditioned while under warranty.
        They had too many listed for my liking.
        Edit: Remember if it looks to good to be true then it isnt.

Comment

yes currently $299 but they only have one for sale and is being advertised as 2nd hand, not new.

Id be tempted but only if you dont have to used pods or whatever they are called.

Comment

It doesnt have a 3 way valve, so there is no pressure relief when the shot is finished. Fresh coffee will build up more back pressure (say 9 BAR) and you will end up wearing it when you take the portafilter off.

The Silvia and Lelit machines do have said valve and are therefore much better suited to being used with fresh coffee.

charlie

Comment

Originally posted by 517E6F59777A7870587A7D7E1B0 link=1325753689/5#5 date=1325756160
              It doesnt have a 3 way valve, so there is no pressure relief when the shot is finished. Fresh coffee will build up more back pressure (say 9 BAR) and you will end up wearing it when you take the portafilter off.
              Ok, thanks....doesnt sound like its for me!

Comment

Interesting thread.

Yes can use fresh as well as podded coffee (as long as the appropriate group handle is included with the purchase), but No, definitely not in Silvia league.

Great "price", but big backward step.

Surely the 6910 is not going to cost an equivalent $300.00 on service? Either get it repaired, or put the $300.00 towards a better purchase....atleast go sideways from your 6910, but please dont go backwards.

Rgdz,
                Attilio
                very first CS site sponsor. 

Comment

Working...
                X