Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Silvia & Sunbeam EM0480 - First Purchase

Hi,
    I will be honest from the outset, so you understand my level of coffee experience... I dont like coffee at all. Have tried it at multiple cafes here in Perth and over east, so can safely say even with "good" coffee I still dont like the taste.

However, my missus is the complete opposite. She loves coffee, and where possible will try and it from a cafe, or from the coffee machine at her work. She is also rather experienced in the use of commercial machines having worked in a cafe making coffees for 6 years while at uni.

It is her birthday coming up soon, so would like to get her a half decent setup, but also has good milk steam as I like a good hot chocolate. As this is a suprise, I dont want to ask her too much to give the game away. She has mentioned previously though, that if she ever did get a coffee machine it would be manual so she could have control ovel pouring the shot and frothing the milk the same as she had at the cafe she worked at.

I have been browsing this forum for a couple of weeks now, and with my $1000 budget have come to the conclusion that the Rancilio Silvia and the Sunbeam EM0480 is probably the best I can afford. Coffee-A-Roma and Jetblack seem to have the Silvia and accessories to fit within my budget. I have read much on the Sunbeam EM6910, but having read experiences on here and the Pullman review comparing it to the Silvia, I dont it will be a good investment in the long run.

Before I make the commitment to purchase these 2 machines, I would just like some confirmation that I am getting good bang for my buck, or should I be looking at something else?

Re: Rancilio Silvia & Sunbeam EM0480 - First Purchase

The EM6910 you can steam and extract at the same time, the Silvia you cant, I think it just depends on how many coffees you want to make at once and how patient you are to do them.

Unless you are having a party and everyone wants their coffee at exactly the same time then I cant see a problem with the Silvia.

The Silvia yes is a better investment for on selling when you want to upgrade and if your wife is like any of us it will happen

Yes the Silvia is better made than the EM6910 as well.

I would think that since your wife knows coffee going down the Sunbeam route would be a negative.

The EM6910 can pull a good coffee but from what people tell me the Silvia is better, I have a friend that has gone from the EM6910 to the Silvia and is very very happy

Coffee-A-Roma have the Silvia with the Rocky for just over $1000, if you can I would do that over the Sunbeam grinder.

http://www.coffee-a-roma.com.au/shop/en/package-deals-12/rancilio-v3-package-60.html

Comment

Thanks for the reply Shapeshifter! Only time multiple coffees would really be made is when she has friends over, and usually that would be a few coffees at most. So seems as though the Silvia might be a goer. Will take a look at the package suggestion and see if I can stretch the budget that far.

Comment

Hello millsii,

I really think the grinder is very much underdone in this scenario.

A tiny spend more will get you a Lelit PL041 and a Compak K3P grinder- far superior to the Sunbeam and a grinder you can hold onto if you upgrade. Money saved on grinders directly leads to decreased quality in the cup. Id be spending <$100 more and your partner will be drinking a dramatically better product.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion cjn! I had previously read many reviews/experiences on this forum and the website directly comparing it to the Silvia. Is having the 57mm group head compared to the "standard" 58mm group head going to be an issue? I did notice though that the Lalits group head does heat up faster, which would allow coffee making to start quicker?

Comment

Have you checked out the hardware for sale section? I realize it is a present, so might not be suitable, but you could even a Breville doubleboiler for half-price at the moment, and with a bit of luck source a discounted Breville Smartgrinder for your budget...there are also often used Silvias available, which -if nothing else- give you an idea of their re-sell value. just an idea anyway

good luck! and by the way - great present idea!

Comment

Hello Millsii,

well after reading all of the above it seems to me that tomorrow could be your lucky day.....

When we were rummaging through our stock for our christmas time clearance we found a superseded model silvia that had been used by us as an in house demo machine. It had apparently been re boxed and put aside......and forgotten.

We could probably do it and a new Compak K3Push for your stated budget, subject to availability of stock of the K3 (wouldnt know that at present as am at home).

FWIW I too am in the "buy a better grinder" camp. It would be more important to me personally to have a better grinder (K3) and forego a ball jointed steam arm on the earlier Silvia, than the other way around. But we are all individuals.

If you like, check with us at contact@cosmorexcoffee.com.au tomorrow or call 02 / 6280 7511 and ask for Michael.

If you dont like then no harm done!

Rgdz,
              Attilio
              very first CS site sponsor

Comment

Originally posted by 5B6F786E75425E727B7B78781D0 link=1326240303/6#6 date=1326270700
                Hello Millsii,

well after reading all of the above it seems to me that tomorrow could be your lucky day.....

When we were rummaging through our stock for our christmas time clearance we found a superseded model silvia that had been used by us as an in house demo machine. It had apparently been re boxed and put aside......and apparently forgotten.

We could probably do it and a Compak K3Push for your stated budget, subject to availability of stock of the K3 (wouldnt know that at present as am at home).

FWIW I too am in the "buy a better grinder" camp. It would be more important to me personally to have a better grinder (K3) and forego a ball jointed steam arm on the earlier Silvia, than the other way around. But we are all individuals.

If you like, check with us at contact@cosmorexcoffee.com.au tomorrow or call 02 / 6280 7511 and ask for Michael.

Rgdz,
                Attilio
                I call that 1800 WINNER!

Comment

Originally posted by 625641574C7B674B42424141240 link=1326240303/6#6 date=1326270700
                  Hello Millsii,

When we were rummaging through our stock for our christmas time clearance we found a superseded model silvia that had been used by us as an in house demo machine. It had apparently been re boxed and put aside......and forgotten.

We could probably do it and a new Compak K3Push for your stated budget, subject to availability of stock of the K3 (wouldnt know that at present as am at home).

Rgdz,
                  Attilio
                  From having a look at info on that grinder, it definitely seems like a significant leap form the Sunbeam! Will give you a call tomorrow morning when I get into work at 7am WST (10am EDT).

Thanks for taking the time to read my posts, this site has been a great find with so much info on all different machines! To think I found this site due to searching for info on the Breville 800ES which I saw on sale in a department store :-X

Comment

+1 for the better grinder camp.

Huge jump in quality from the EM480 to the Compak K3, and bang for your buck.

She will love that grinder. Doesnt grind as fast as a commercial grinder, but the quality is right up there.

Plus it is reliable and will stand the test of time together with Miss Silvia.

Gary at G

Comment

Toscadera mentioned the Breville Smart Grinder, and after doing some searching it seems to be reviewed fairly well. I have found that I can get this grinder and a new Silvia V3 within my budget. Would this grinder do the job?

Also, had a chat with CosmoreX Coffee this morning and they do have some Compaks available to go with their Silvia V2, so have that to think about as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 505451514E54543D0 link=1326240303/10#10 date=1326365988
                        Toscadera mentioned the Breville Smart Grinder, and after doing some searching it seems to be reviewed fairly well. I have found that I can get this grinder and a new Silvia V3 within my budget. Would this grinder do the job?

Also, had a chat with CosmoreX Coffee this morning and they do have some Compaks available to go with their Silvia V2, so have that to think about as well.
                        Hi millsii,
                        I use a stock Silvia and stock Breville Smart Grinder, and mine work well together. The grinder was fine enough out of the box but by all reports not everyone has been so lucky. If you read the Grinders board and Breville Smart Grinder thread (work from the middle - its long!) youll see that adjusting shims are relatively easy to come by.
                        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?board=grinders
                        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1288871951

I have a distinct impression from the last years posts, that many newer Silvia owners are choosing the Breville over the Rocky.

I dont think anyone has mentioned tampers and baskets. Its seems to fairly well accepted that the factory issued Rancilio ones that come with the Silvia dont cut the mustard. Some site sponsors provide alternatives with a new Silvia purchase.

I dont expect my Breville to last anywhere near as long as my Silvia but it services the households 2 differing coffee drinkers well. The Compak howver is a different league to the Breville and if a discounted superceded Silvia V2 with a new Compak from Attilio is available within your stated budget its well worth considering.

I bought my grinder locally at a heavily discounted price from a local chain retailer and Silvia from Coffee-a-roma and the two cost me less than $1000.

Dont forget cleaning gear etc. and of course buy your beans fom Andy through Beanbay.

dabbler

Comment

Silvia is a league above EM6910 but if shes a purist shell love it. But if she wants to throw a dinner party for friends and impress them with flat whites afterwards, Sunbeam is definitely the better choice, Silvia will struggle to keep up.

I went for the Sunbeam in the end mainly due to budget and I already have an EMO480 grinder which pairs perfectly with it. As others mentioned, this is about the limit of the EMO480 though, the grind just isnt consistent enough for an Italian machine.

Comment

I would wait a little while longer and spend just that littlle bit extra on the Compak K3.

It looks great sitting by the the Silvia.

The Silvias italian and the Compaks spanish, so youve got a bit of Europian breeding in your cafe stable.

You get more of a feeling of money well spent when you got these things that are built like a tank and will last many years of service.

In time you get to know the idiosyncracies of these machines, and grow to love them once you get the hang of them.
                            And i will say the Rancilio Silvia is less forgiving of bad technique, but it rewards nicely when everything comes together.

I work in a commercial environment, and coming home to making coffee, i dont feel like im handling toys with the K3/Silvia combo.

Certainly, as being said before, if she does throw parties quite often, she will be frustrated by the speed of the Silvia being a single boiler.
                            If the priorites are on group coffees, then the Sunbeam which is within your budget may do the trick.

Gary at G

Comment

Just an update. I took the plunge and bought the Rancilio Silvia and other accessories from Coffee-A-Roma. Out of curiosity I had a look at my credit cards rewards program to see what they had in the way of grinders. Luckily for me, they have just recently added the Rancilio range, so I used my points to get the Rancilio Rocky Doserless. Using the points allowed me to stay under the original $1k budget including buying the accessories.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, and I will give an update on how my missus goes with it on her birthday in mid Feb.

Comment

Working...
                              X