Faema Family - Power Short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faema Family - Power Short

This is doing my head in. When the machine is turned on, it blows the house fuse. Ive narrowed it down to something to do with the element and boiler. When the element is installed in the boiler, the fuse blows. When the element isnt installed in the boiler, (but still plugged in, ie the only difference is that the element isnt making physical contact with the boiler) the fuse doesnt blow. My only guess is that when the element is installed, it isnt supposed to make electrical contact with the boiler (which it does at the moment), could this be correct? Anyone care to check the continuity between their element prong and boiler body on their faema family? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Re: Faema Family - Power Short

It sounds like your element has a major fault. Neither of the live wires should come in contact with chassis ground ( the boiler ). You should be able to check by installing the element in the boiler and metering the power wires to the boiler metal. If either is in contact, it is toast.

As it is now, you have a potentially dangerous situation if you apply power. Be careful !!

Comment

yeah thats what i figured. Oh well its only an 80$ part from coffeeparts

Comment

Fairly simple - the insulation in the element has broken down and the element has shorted to ground, causing the fuse to blow. If its not installed in the boiler the short cant reach earth and blow the fuse.

Comment

Working...
        X