Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saeco VV - to upgrade or not?!

Hi guys,
    Been watching the forums for a while trying to decide whether to upgrade or not and what to upgrade to. I have the saeco via venezia (the older version with the copper boiler) and sunbeam 0480 grinder and have really enjoyed using them. I have the process down so I can make a coffee thats okay most of the time. My wife likes my coffee very much but then Im not sure shes too discerning. The thing is though after owning this machine for nearly a decade I know its shortcomings and when I have a really good cup of coffee elsewhere (like I had today - man it was amazing) it makes me want to take my machine up a notch. Sooo, with a budget between $1k-$1.5K the Breville BES900 seems like it would be a good buy. Its a huge investment for me but am now almost ready to push the button. So instead of making up my own mind, I throw it open to the good coffee snobs who inhabit this site - is it worth spending that much money to upgrade (particularly cos my wife seems to be happy with what she gets at the mo) and do you reckon the bes900 is the way to go.
    Thanks for any advice (wish I could just use my own brain to make up my mind!!)

Re: Saeco VV - to upgrade or not?!

Gday mutt,

Yeppers- its a definite step up. Do pair it with a great grinder. For best results, look at the Compak K3P or similar.

Good luck

Comment

Hey mutt,

Im actually in the same situation as you. I have a VV as well and to be honest, Im just not happy with the machine. For what I paid, it does a decent job, dont get me wrong. When it comes to straight espresso though, I have to be honest, its pretty bad 9/10 times.

Ill be up[grading to the BES900XL this or next week, feeling I didnt want any compromise when it came to features, but also not exceed the budget. If you are able to upgrade, Id say go for it! Some say they are not certain of the Breville quality, so it is a risky move. Though with the amount of nice features this machine comes with, its a risk Im willing to take.

Seems like the owners of these machines are growing everyday, so hopefully product support will continue with the years.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 39212020540 link=1326628208/0#0 date=1326628208
        owning this machine for nearly a decade
        quite an achievement! You deserve something better and yes, a better grinder (even if second hand) to fully deliver on potential.

You dont have to go to a double boiler to get much better results. If $$$ is an issue, and its only you and your wife most of the time, consider a better single boiler (eg silvia) that is pretty much just as capable in-the-cup and will probably last just like your trooper VV...

Comment

Originally posted by 7A626363170 link=1326628208/0#0 date=1326628208
          .....I have the saeco via venezia (the older version with the copper boiler).....
          Notwithstanding this should read brass instead of copper, it is still interesting.....I wasnt aware the Via Venezia ever came out with anything other than the stainless steel boiler?????

In any case I too would upgrade to a better machine. The VV is a great starter machine for those that have absolutely zero expertise with a  pump driven machine, but once youve had it a couple of years I would atleast move to a machine with similar modus operandi. but that can make quasi commercial type coffee (if used properly). The next in line in a budget model would be a Gaggia Classic (Australian Spec and purchase please). If budget permits, then I would go further....a lot further.

Ten years eh  Youre a saint! Do the upgrade NOW !

Attilio
          very first CS site sponsor.

Comment

I have had my VV for 10years or so and have used it with the Saeco grinder and was getting very ordinary coffee, the Mrs always said the cafes we go to occasionally made better coffee. So I bought a Breville smart grinder and a unpressurised PF and started to fiddle and the coffee quality improved way out of sight but as I like an occasional flat white I needed to get a machine that done better steam so after much research and looking around I got the BDB and havnt looked back. The mrs says coffee is better than cafes now and milk is done in no time and is much easier to get very silky and great microfoam. I have the naked PF and a 18,and 22gm VST and a quad basket I got from Beanbay and as I got a great price from a major dept store i am very happy with the set up. I will though get a compak K3 either the push or touch in the near future and relegate the smart grinder to the caravan with the VV. Go for it and get the new machine, if you like good coffee you wont be sorry.

Comment

Thanks heaps guys, I was hoping/assuming Id get this kind of response. Supporting the addiction :-)

Yep Attilio youre right about the boiler. For some reason I thought the newer versions had a thermoblock (a sales person had told me that but saw online thats not the case)

I reckon my next step is to decide between gaggia, silvia or spending the big bucks on the breville. Looking forward to spending the night on the couch with the tennis on in the background and researching on the laptop. Hooray.

Thanks again

Comment

My suggestions:

Upgrade the grinder first--the 0480 will be a weak point, especially with a better machine.
                Ensure high quality, fresh beans.
                If you havent already, remove the pressure stuff from the PortaFilter.

With a high quality grinder, my own roasted beans, and a modified PF and basket, I was able to excellent coffee from a very cheap machine. (Sigh--then I upgraded.)

Greg

Comment

I have had my VV running since 2005.  But 2010/2011 was when I became a snob. 

I got a new PF and basket (non-pressurized), Smart Grinder, loosen the shower screen, a Behmor to roast the beans and even removed part of the piccolo steam wand.

With these additions and modifications.....pretty good coffee.

Now I am saving for a better grinder and then for a better machine (unless the VV finally goes down).

Learning on the VV gave me a set of skills for the next level.

Comment

So after taking a closer look at the breville I think I am going to look at some of the other machines out there. The machine as cool as it sounded with all its features just felt like another appliance, like a blender or kettle. If I am going to spend some $$ Im keen to see more stainless steel and less plastic. Its kinda hard to describe. The Breville just seemed to lack character?? Anyway Im sure its amazing machine but now Im thinking more about the silvia and leLit (PL041). Does anybody know if you can see these machines side-by-side in Brisbane? Ive been reading through all the the CS threads on the two machines and it certainly is a tight race!!

Comment

Id just get the Silvia, great machine with lots of parts available for them for modifications if you want and I always wanted one but the temp surfing thing and the wait for steam was a bit of a pain, I have been told the Breville has better steam than the Silvia and the Lelit. I am happy with my Breville for the price I paid.

Comment

Hey are any of the site sponsors located in Brisbane that sell silvia or similar machines. Been searching online for ages and cant seem to find a quality espresso machine shop in Brisbane. I know merlo sells some machines but not the ones i am interested in.

Comment

quality machines can be found at
                          Barazi, Coopers Plains
                          Supreme Roasters, Yatala
                          Di Bella, Bowen Hills

Grinders (non-sponsor), Teneriffe, might be the only Brisbane retailer who stock the Silvia?

Comment

Originally posted by 36000F1533000F02080D080E5051610 link=1326628208/12#12 date=1327355156
                            quality machines can be found at
                            Barazi, Coopers Plains
                            Supreme Roasters, Yatala
                            Di Bella, Bowen Hills

Grinders (non-sponsor), Teneriffe, might be the only Brisbane retailer who stock the Silvia?
                            Awesome thanks for your help. Felt like a bit of a gumby last night fumbling around on google trying to find some companies!!

Comment

Well am finally closing in on my machine of choice. Thinking of buying the silvia with the ranchillo rocky for $999. Seems like a good deal but more importantly the machine made an amazing cup of coffee!!

Do you think this is a good price?? And is the grinder better than my em0480?

Comment

Working...
                              X