Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New EM6910 Seal - too tight!

Hi all

I recently purchased a set of "non official" 6910 seals and just installed them into my machine last night.

I found that it is noticeably "tighter" and I have to push the portafilter in with a fair amount of force to get it to the 6oclock mark. Just a few questions:

Is this normal for a new seal?

Will the tightness lessen with time?

Is this causing damage to the collar by me having to almost "force" the pf around?

(just fyi the old seal seemed to be working ok, but i noticed a tiny bit of it had torn off which is why i replaced it)

thanks in advance for help
    Iggs

Re: New EM6910 Seal - too tight!

Hi. If it is not broke, do not fix it. I would think if you are forcing it, there is wear hapening. Use old seal and pack when needed, if you keep forcing the portofilla it will cause premature wear. But keep the new seal you might need it one day.

Comment

[QUOTE=3F2F2B3F6D5E0 link=1326783567/1#1 date=1326817223]Hi. If it is not broke, do not fix it.
      We have a saying here BUGGER. This morning I made our coffee and lost pressure half way through after three bad shots gave up and went to work. Came home tonight pulled out seal and it had a crack in it BUGGER. The other saying is keep a spare and it will not break. Now I have to have no coffee till I get a new seal BUGGER. Working 7.30 till 5 might take a while. Some times you say something and it bites you on the BUM. Not so happy NOW. Did you get your seal on line?

Comment

hey mate. ah thats bad news! yeah i just bought some cheapies off ebay. But as Ive said, not sure about the fit (im wondering if the official sunbeam ones start off this tight too?)

For now, ive reverted back to old seal. Its still sealing properly, so will use it a while longer

Comment

Well, the new seal will be less worn than the old one, so it makes sense that you will not have to tighten the portafilter as much to get a good seal.
          Over time as the seal wears out you will have to turn the portafilter further around to get the seal.
          Forcing the portafilter around will probably cause the seal to wear out faster, as you are compressing it much more than necessary.

Comment

Hi the Sunbeam seal I bought seems thiner than the old one. Tried the portofila and seems loose. I have not got much faith in a desent pore in the morning. BUGGER
            Where did you get your seal and how much was it I paid $40 NZ.

Comment

Hi iggs I just bought the two seal deal off of ebay. Half the price I paid for one.
              I was wondering if there was a difference between the 6900 and 6910 seals? A lot of people on this site have had problems from time to time?

Comment

Im not sure about any major difference between the two  models, but wanted to pipe in about the handle position. 

Ive had mine for years and as seals (and group heads) wear, the handle ends up being further around.  For me the position is not important, its knowing the point where its firm enough to be water-tight.  Theres also a bit of flexibility with the spouts which you can turn to align with the cup position.

Comment

Hi Ben later on when you replace your seal there seems to be heaps of variation in sizes. I bought a Sunbeam one and it looked thiner than the old one that broke. I have had to put three pieces of cardbourd behind to get it to seal but it is nice and tight now. Where as iggs bought one off of ebay and it was very tight. You are right that it does not matter how tight as long as you get a good seal. But you would think there would not be so much veriation between seals especialy when I paid $40 and I had to modify it to get it to work. :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 6777736735060 link=1326783567/6#6 date=1327064260
                    Hi iggs I just bought the two seal deal off of ebay.
                    The seals have arrived and they are thicker than SB one do not need packer to get it to work. probably take SB one back because it is different to original seal softer plastic and did not seal properly.

Comment

hi aqua

do you find the ebay ones incredibly tight or just right? I found i was locking in comfortably about 7oclock and had to force it to 6oclock

Comment

Yes but I think my machine is worn so it is good.
                        Originally posted by 67404B7A71504252404949250 link=1326783567/7#7 date=1327096335
                        Ive had mine for years and as seals (and group heads) wear, the handle ends up being further around. For me the position is not important, its knowing the point where its firm enough to be water-tight. Theres also a bit of flexibility with the spouts which you can turn to align with the cup position.
                        As Ben says as long as it works. It is great your old seal is still working and at least you have a spare seal and it will will probably fit better later.
                        Happy Brewing

Comment

Working...
                        X