La Pavoni Europiccola Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Pavoni Europiccola Rebuild

Ok so I havnt taken any photos yet! but this will become the rebuild thread for my europiccola soon.

I have just recently purchased a second hand Pavoni of a lovely CS member and I have a couple of questions.
    Im going to get a seal and gasket kit for the rebuild as the machine smells and tastes (after pulling shots) of rubber, which is not too desirable.  So Im sourcing that but the other quirk I have noticed is that the filter basket doesnt sit firm in the portafilter! it just sits in there loosely making the knock box impossible as the basket falls out as soon as you turn it upside down.
    Are there after market baskets for this portafiler?  I cant buy a Tamper untill I have this problem solved and I feel mainly because the plastic this you get with it is useless, that I cant use the machine to its full potential!

Another question is when polishing the chrome exterior, what are the ideal methods?  I have Silvo at home and car polishes, I think Silvos a little more aggressive than my car polish and Im worried about damaging the finish?
    What has worked for other Pavoni owners?

On a final note! my first shot pulled was already better than my Via Venezia :P, but admittedly not that much better.  So looking forward to learning!

Re: La Pavoni Europiccola Rebuild

The portafilter doesnt have a spring or other basket retention method so not sure if this can be neatly solved. Maybe a rubber gasket could work.

For polishing I just use a microfibre cloth, slightly wet first then dry. Godfreys has some good ones.

Comment

So after my seal and gasket kit arrive and single hole steam tip, what are other mods or things Pavoni owners tend to do?

I will be giving it a great big clean, not thats its terrible dirty and repainting the base to match my super jolly.

Comment

I use WD40 on both my machines, especially in the base as they are prone to rust if moisture goes unchecked.

Regarding the loose portafiler I did see a thread somewhere where a metal spring was added around the basket to clamp it in. Personally I dont mind the loose basket I just drop it into the sink and that loosens the grind cake which I then pick up and pop in the bin. On the odd occasion the cake breaks well then it goes down the drain.

Comment

Is wd40 foodsafe? Ive read that people just use kitchen oil or food grade grease for moving parts.

You can get official replacement parts from coffeeparts sponsor. They are pretty quick to send parts and very affordable.

My pavoni can do the twist when its been heated up. As in the whole tank can move left and right. I think i should of replaced all of the seals instead of just the grouphead seals lol.

When you remove the seal in between the grouphead and portafilter you will prolly need to cut through it. Be a bit patient with it.

And descale it while you are going through the trouble of rebuilding it. Maybe the rubber smell will go out with it.

Comment

WD40 is not food safe, Id recommend using another product

Inox MX3 is one product that I would suggest using instead.

Comment

One of the best things I did for my Europiccola was the hot shot temp sticker from Orphan Espresso. Makes judging when the group is up to temperature much much easier.

Comment

I have to say the best thing I have done is put a single hole steam tip on! Finally I can create microfoam again!

Rebuild kit is at the post office!

Comment

I have to appologise for not taking pics, though this week Im house/baby sitting my fiencees little sisters so I wasnt able to do much documentation.

What I have found rebuilding my 1970s europiccola is that it had only been recently rebuild as a seals were still in great condition.
                  The problem was the coffee it produced wasnt quite right... So I had naturally assumed a rebuild was in order.  I was correct in my assumption as new as the seals were.. The person that previously rebuilt it had used mechanical grease not a food safe grease...... So now the taste is far superior!  I removed as much of the old seals and grease as I could with the limits of my temporary work shop and gave it a good descale.
                  First shot after flushing was a completely different cup to what it was producing! So Im a much happier person now =)

I will take photos because I still need to reprint the base and remove its rust. Also I want to put a new switch on it from a newer model but that can wait.
                  Now I finally know why people rave about there machines!

Comment

Originally posted by 5C71657778797E77516456716475100 link=1330111116/5#5 date=1331117831
                    WD40 is not food safe, Id recommend using another product
                    Whoa, bit of a misunderstanding here - I use WD40 to clean the base and outside of the machine, doesnt go anywhere near the seals/gaskets/pins/piston etc.

Orphan espresso has all required food safe lubricants on their website.

Another mod I have heard of is replacing the heat element with the newer design if it fails. ALso some like including a pressure gauge or wiring in a p-stat like the millenium europiccolas.

Good website: http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapavoni_drpavoni_eng.htm

Comment

New elements are not easily retrofitted to older Pavonis, as the modern ones have a bolt-on flange as opposed to a screw thread. In this case you also have to change the brass ring which secures the boiler to the base, and it gets time consuming and expensive.

Also Im of the opinion that the dual-switch Pavonis are the best to use- you have maximum pressure for steam at the touch of a button, but you can also let the machine idle on the 200W element which slows down the overheating problem when brewing.

Comment

For those who may eventually need to replace old La Pav heating elements:

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pavoni/Faidate/riparazione_resistenza_eng.htm

which links to this page:

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pavoni/Faidate/ep_pressostato_eng.htm

Comment

Autosol is great for chrome, particularly if applied with a micro fiber cloth. Obviously you will use it on the outside of the machine, where it wont come in contact with your brewing surfaces. I have used it for years. You should find it online somewhere.Dont use it on plastic, or screen printed graphics though. Silvo if Im not mistaken, do contain micro abrasive material, a bit like Brasso. It will shine up the chrome but may leave very fine scratches/ brush marks... Apologies if your question had already been answered.

Comment

Re. keeping the basket in the portafiller, I used a centre punch to put three "dimples" (from the inside of the basket) and the basket now fits snug. If you stuff it up, you can always buy a new basket (in fact almost any La Pavoni part) from coffeemachineparts.net.au

Comment

Originally posted by 222F242E2F383925242E284A0 link=1330111116/13#13 date=1337417072
                              Re. keeping the basket in the portafiller, I used a centre punch to put three "dimples" (from the inside of the basket)
                              Is that likely to alter water flow through the puck? I was annoyed by the loose basket at first, but now Im just used to working around it.

Comment

Working...
                              X