Sunbeam EM6910 Repair pointers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM6910 Repair pointers...

I have a Sunbeam EM6910 has been a good machine…

Steam became intermittent and weak for a few days then stopped working altogether...
    I bought the machine second hand and I have had it for a few years now so.. I’m guessing I don’t have any recourse to warranty from SB.

I have a tendency to tinker with broken electrical and/or mechanical equipment.

So I pulled off the steam knob and bridged the micro switch to factor it out of the equation.

Now I’m thinking of replacing the steam pump as I have the service manual and it doesn’t look too difficult.

I have a couple of questions:
    [list bull-blackball][*]Where is the best place to buy spares? This looks like a good source: spares.bigwarehouse.com.au
    [*]Is there anything out of the ordinary about replacing the steam pump I should be aware of?  Could I be barking up the wrong tree and something else has failed perhaps?[/list]

Cheers,
    Stonie.

Re: Sunbeam EM6910 Repair pointers...

I always say look for the obvious first did you cheak the line first, water in steem out. Number one be very carefull with live wires they Bite.

Comment

Your situation is quite typical for old machines. Id say youve got 1 of 3 things that could be causing the problem. 1 - steam pump like youve said, 2 - steam switch and 3 - main board. Numbers 1 and 2 are achievable fixes for a diy handy man. Number 3 is expensive and needs to be sent to a sb service centre.

So give the switch a quick check for continuity (its located near the steam knob, at the front top left of the machine). If the switch is fine then try replacing the pump. Bigwarehousespares is where i got my replacement steam pump from and I was happy with them.

I also had some frustrating intermittent steam before mine died so id be willing to bet its just the pump. good luck.

Comment

Thanks guys,

Pretty much what I was thinking… I have already bridged the micro switch…
        Thanks for the reassurance, I will check for blockages then look at replacing the steam pump.

Will also avoid killing myself with 240.

Cheers,
        Stonie.

Comment

Hi just seen a broken machine on ebay. Just comp. broken would be good for parts have a look.

Comment

This might help you:

I scored a 2nd hand EM6910 off eBay for $50 advertised as "steam wand not working". The problem turned out to be 2 things. The micro switch behind the steam knob had fallen apart, so I just transferred the switch from the hot water tap (as Ill never use that function). That made the pump work but the output was mostly hot water with the occasional burst of steam. The solution to this problem was to de-scale the steam thermoblock. I didnt want to rig up any external devices to pump solution through it (Im lazy), plus I couldnt really find a easy procedure on CS for doing this, so I devised my own.

De-scaling the thermoblock requires pumping de-scaling solution through it without turning it into steam in the process. De-scaling solution is made up of various kinds of acids - turning this into an airborne vapor is not a Good Thing which is why Sunbeam dont recommend it in their manual.

*WARNING* Take the usual precautions when dealing with live electricity etc..

To de-scale the steam thermo block I used the following method. Remove covers to gain access to the internals. Fill tank with warm water and de-scaling solution. Turn on machine and allow it to warm up. Allow machine to stay at operating temperature for 5 minutes, then un-plug from the wall. As quick as possible remove one of the wires from the steam thermoblock heating element and turn the machine back on. With any luck it will by-pass the warm up cycle and allow the steam pump to operate just by turning the knob.

About 1.5L of de-scaling solution was pumped through the steam block which removed a lot of built up junk. YMMV.

I hope this information is useful.

Comment

You guys are legends! thanks for all the tips!

Comment

Good luck with the repairs. You just have to keep the coffee flowing.

Comment

I suspect my steam pump has died too so this post is of interest. 2 questions i hope someone can help with:

1. whats the model of ulka pump that SB has used for the steam pump...i read its a 4bar pump but thats all i know. I cant quite see the tag on mine without pulling the whole machine apart.

2. could the steam pump be successfully replaced with another ulka espresso pump from a crap old breville or other donor? i mean a standard so called "15 bar" pump that any other domestic machine has. I have a working old breville sitting on my bench that could finally serve a purpose!
                  cheers.

Comment

Thanks for the info - Im having issues too!

Comment

Oh well I have an issue too.

I thought it was a clogged steam boiler. I tried the above method of getting the decalcifier into the steamer to see if I could get the steam wand to work better. But sadly the cleaner did not help.

I thought it was going to, the pump was putting through steam, but not a full blast of steam. Then it slowed down.

After messing around with the cleaner for some time, hoping some block would clear, I took off 2 screws from what I think is the steam pump. It is right beside the bottom of the steam boiler. I had a hunch this unit could be blocked, I could not get it apart so I put it back together, now I get no steam at all. Most of the water that appears to get to this pump ends up going out the overflow into the tray.

Has anyone else had failures with this part.
                      I welcome any pointers.

Comment

Well, even though no one answered the previous posts were good pointers.

So thank you to the previous posters.

It turned out to be a blocked boiler!.
                        I have never had one of these apart (actually never had any coffee machine apart) but it seemed the pump was OK. It put water out when disconnected.

I tried decalc and thought I was on to something, it seemed to improve, I got some steam out. Then it stopped altogether. I tried putting compressed air through the boiler, (it was getting hot) but it seemed totally blocked. I took the boiler into the local service agent who checked it and said he couldnt get air through it either!

He sold me a near new used boiler (from another machine), for $40.00 so I was wrapped.

Got home put it in and all is good.

Now I have to learn how to use it, the steamer is so different from my Sunbeam EM4800C.
                        I had the techinique for making silky milk down to close to perfect on it.

The same approach does not seem to work on the
                        EM 6910

Comment

Question:

When putting my machine back together I attempted to get the hot water knob and the steam knob to be in the off position in such a way as to immediately turn the microswitch on as the knob just starts to turn.

If I had it lined up so it was about line 2-3 before the microswitch activated the pump I would get full pressure steam very quickly.

That seems too vigorous to get nice silky milk.

Or have I got more to learn!

And my on and off settings on the knobs are not aligning with the marks on the body of the machine.

I am unclear as to what I have done wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rawill View Post
                            Question:

When putting my machine back together I attempted to get the hot water knob and the steam knob to be in the off position in such a way as to immediately turn the microswitch on as the knob just starts to turn.
                            Not a good idea, to my way of thinking...

The microswitch activates only after the knob has turned a significant amount. That's not accidental - when the switch activates, the pump activates and starts putting pulses of water into the thermoblock to produce steam. The fact that the switch only activates after the knob has rotated a bit means you can release the steam pressure after steaming milk, by opening the steam valve just enough to release the pressure without activating the pump.

Comment

Hi Stonie,

You mentioned you have the service manual for an EM6910 - any chance its electronic and you can share it?

Cheers

Pagan

Comment

Working...
                              X