Sunbeam EM6910 Repair pointers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beaker74 View Post
    Quick update on my machine, blown thermo-fuse. $4 from Jaycar and machine is up and running again.
    I love this forum, one little update like this and I was able to resolve my problem too! Other posts here include links to manuals and simplified instructions to break down the machine to get inside.

I do still have a niggle, in that my power light continually flashes red even while the other lights are steady, doesn't seem to slow it down...

Part: https://www.jaycar.com.au/228oc-thermal-fuse/p/ST3814
    Teardown: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...ent-guide.html
    Manual: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...ce-manual.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbks View Post
      likely to be the thermo-fuse.

I blew a few on the steam TB
      Test it by bypassing the fuse with a piece of insulated wire.

otherwise it may be a relay issue (i had those too) but the relay usually sticks on,
      so the TB is always heating whenever the power-point is on

Finally it might be a thermostat issue or even a dead heating element.

But fuse is most likely.
      I'm trying to resurrect a EM6910, the fuse had blown, as I see it that the fuse is the last resort fail safe and blew for the reason the block had got to 185°C, probably due to the thermostat not opening. I intend to replace the thermostat with a generic one , problem is I can't find what temperature to buy, Gaggia seem to be 145°C, would the sunbeam be the about the same? Any help would be appreciated , thanks.

Comment

• I just finished replacing a collar as part of a refurb on an old run down machine I inherited. Everything works well except the single and double cup programs don't automatically stop pouring.

I tried a factory reset which beeped 4 times as if it worked, but still the buttons seem to stay on once pressed.

Is it likely that the flow metre is not working?

Is this a common issue and is there anything to check, or just replace the part?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220522_204509137.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	917204

Comment

• I'm pretty sure that the control unit for the timer is actually behind the buttons so you don't need to replace the whole PCB. I would just replace that particular part as it's not difficult to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
            I'm pretty sure that the control unit for the timer is actually behind the buttons so you don't need to replace the whole PCB. I would just replace that particular part as it's not difficult to do.
            Are you sure it's a timer and not a flow meter? Are you saying there's some kind of controller behind the buttons that works for both single and double shot?

I'll see if I can spot it on the parts manual before I take the lid off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Davidque View Post
              Are you sure it's a timer and not a flow meter? Are you saying there's some kind of controller behind the buttons that works for both single and double shot? I'll see if I can spot it on the parts manual before I take the lid off.
              Yes, it's a timer. They're not volumetric settings. There is definitely a small control board behind the buttons that's quite easy to get to once the lid is off.

Comment

• Xanthine
                Xanthine commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry to take so long to get back to comment on this but I wanted to check my facts first by looking at one of the spare button panels I had in the shed. As I thought, there are no active components on this panel - only 5 LEDs, 5 pb switches, a buzzer and a couple of multi-pin connectors. All of the control and timing is done by micro-controller on the main control board so the problem could well be the flowmeter. I once came across a 6910 which had a blocked flowmeter after being left un-used for several months with water in the lines. Slime grew in the plastic tubing and blocked it! The top of the flowmeter can be undone by twisting it without removing it then the impeller can be checked. From memory, a magnet attached to the impeller triggers a hall sensor to generate pulses for the control board.

• Originally posted by Davidque View Post

Are you sure it's a timer and not a flow meter? Are you saying there's some kind of controller behind the buttons that works for both single and double shot?

I'll see if I can spot it on the parts manual before I take the lid off.
              Xanthine has cleared this up for both of us - the little control board behind the buttons does not control the timer function. That’s good to know, although it does mean you may need to look at replacing the main PCB.

Comment

Working...
              X