Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 - pressure guage not working, and cannot backflush

Hi guys,

Im new to this brewing thing but very excited to get into it. I just purchased my first machine on Ebay last week being a Sunbeam EM6910, the buying stating that has been used no more than 20 times since new..
    I got it home, set it up, and was excited to extract my first coffee. I immediately observed that the pressure guage was not working. I immediatly rang the previous owner who stated that the guage had worked on and off since nearly new. He states that he attended Myer and they told him that it wouldnt effect the coffee at all.
    I read up on your sight, and decided to descale and backflush. When backflushing, no alot happened. It just pressurised the machine...and didnt do alot more.
    My question is...Is my machine ok? can I do anything to fix it? Does anyone know anywhere near Wagga where I could take it to be looked at?
    As a newby any help would be greatful

Re: EM6910 - pressure guage not working, and cannot backflush

I posted a fix for the backflush here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1276394810

Its a bit poor form of the ebayer - the preasure guage is very important to help judge how close you are to the right extraction. Get your money back.

Comment

I fixed a 6910 with the same issue.  One part of the copper pipe that leads to the 3 way valve and pressure guage was blocked.  Its a few centimetres long but has 2 90 degree bends.  I prodded and poked with a guitar string with limited success.  I eventually cleared it by soaking in coffetto in an ultrasonic cleaner, which gradually ate away at the small blob of gunk and eventually I could rod it through.

Not too hard to get to this bit of pipe and remove it if you are handy with DIY and follow the guides on here.

Its the pipe circled in the pic below:

Cheers

Comment

Ive had the same problem and I agree with the above suggestions. The coffee machine produces quite a bit of pressure so expect that gunk to be well and truly stuck. I used a high pressure bicycle pump to blow the chunk out and it took a good 100ish psi. The rubber clamp fits very nicely on the brass fitting just make sure you blow it back out towards the group head, thats the way the blockage entered.

You can also use the bicycle pump to check if the gauge is not broken. Just follow the logical path of the brass fittings and dont pump too hard unless youre confident with what youre doing. But to be honest I doubt youll break anything, these machines operate at pressures well above what a bike pump can provide.

Comment

Thanks artman

Originally posted by artman View Post
          I fixed a 6910 with the same issue.* One part of the copper pipe that leads to the 3 way valve and pressure guage was blocked.* Its a few centimetres long but has 2 90 degree bends.* I prodded and poked with a guitar string with limited success.* I eventually cleared it by soaking in coffetto in an ultrasonic cleaner, which gradually ate away at the small blob of gunk and eventually I could rod it through.

Not too hard to get to this bit of pipe and remove it if you are handy with DIY and follow the guides on here.

Its the pipe circled in the pic below:

Cheers
          Thank you artman for the clear instructions, after cleaning the described part my machine works great. I was at the point of disposing the machine! The problem wasnt just the preassure guage, the tubes were blocked so badly that it wouldnt allow any water through. I cannot have the machine repaired in the Netherlands where I live! Thanks again for your clear instruction, Cheers, David

Comment

Working...
          X