Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bezzera BZ10- Temp Surfing and Cap/Latte Question

Question for anyone that owns the Bezzerra BZ10:

1) How is the temp. surfing on it? I dont care about getting the exact temperature...about right is good enough for me. I heard since the heat exchanger pipe is so small its hard to cool it down if you want a cool shot....thus using a lot of water flush like 5-8oz. Is this true?

Also, trying to save up for a house down payment. I have a Silvia that I am happy with it for making iced lattes and Americanos(been using it for about 3 months). But my cappuccinos and lattes- they are not at the cafe level. They are more on the watered down side and foam is not as thick and dry. Would the BZ10 be a vast improvement for the Caps and lattes?

Re: Bezzera BZ10- Temp Surfing and Cap/Latte Question

Originally posted by 7D7478772E2E2E190 link=1331262943/0#0 date=1331262943
    Question for anyone that owns the Bezzerra BZ10:

1) How is the temp. surfing on it? I dont care about getting the exact temperature...about right is good enough for me.  I heard since the heat exchanger pipe is so small its hard to cool it down if you want a cool shot....thus using a lot of water flush like 5-8oz. Is this true?

Also, trying to save up for a house down payment. I have a Silvia that I am happy with it for making iced lattes and Americanos(been using it for about 3 months). But my cappuccinos and lattes- they are not at the cafe level. They are more on the watered down side and foam is not as thick and dry. Would the BZ10 be a vast improvement for the Caps and lattes?
    A Silvia is quite capable of producing coffee as good as if not better than the coffee served by most cafes, if your having trouble getting the results you want from Silvia I suspect you will have similar problems with the BZ10.
    You havent told us what type of grinder you are using and where you buy your beans and how fresh they are, both important factors.

Comment

I use beans from Paradise Roasters, no longer than 2 weeks after roasting date.

I am using a Compak K3 Grinder.

Theres something about the commercial machines at the coffee shop that produces foam that is drier, thicker, and less delicate which makes the caps more dry, thicker, and fluffy.

Comment

As I said the Silvia is capable of producing coffee and steaming milk equally as well as commercial machines, I had one for 10 years and my son in law is still using one, assuming the machine is operating as it should then it can only be technique related.
        Why not contact the dealer you bought your Silvia from and ask if they can provide some assistance?

Comment

Originally posted by 636A6669303030070 link=1331262943/2#2 date=1331265533
          Theres something about the commercial machines at the coffee shop that produces foam that is drier, thicker, and less delicate which makes the caps more dry, thicker, and fluffy.
          are you talking about creama & taste or milk froth and fluffyness? You should get a crema that is as good as most cafes just by using fresh beans and grinding / dosing right. If youre talking the end result with milk and how fluffy it is, then its just a milk frothing technique, and while your Silvia may be a little slower it should still get the same end result.

It also depends what cafe youre talking about, as a good cafe should be able to produce a fuller flavour.

HTH

Comment

[QUOTE=5850585F5553310 link=1331262943/4#4 date=1331268999]
            Originally posted by 636A6669303030070 link=1331262943/2#2 date=1331265533

It also depends what cafe youre talking about, as a good cafe should be able to produce a fuller flavour.

HTH
            Would the BZ10 be able to provide the fuller flavor you speak of?

As for the foam...I dont know at this point if its my tech. everything looks good when I do it. In the cafes their microfoam is just somehow thicker, less delicate, and seems drier.

Comment

Sorry I know you said Bezerra owners but Im not one. Unfortunately youll find a large conical can out perform your (and my) K3 and will give a rounder fuller flavor in the right hands. Having said that it sounds like you might be able to get a bit more out of your Silvia? Perhaps some Silvia owners can give you some tips? Id better stop talking about machines I dont have :

Comment

Originally posted by 2D252D2A2026440 link=1331262943/6#6 date=1331303476
                Perhaps some Silvia owners can give you some tips?
                I tried to in post #3, I suspect dman is looking for a reason/permission to buy the Bezzera ;D as I said the Silvia is more than capable of making cafe quality coffee and steaming milk to  the standard you desire.
                Even though I dont think its the answer your looking for dman Ill say it once more, Why not contact the dealer you bought your Silvia from and ask if they can provide some assistance?
                If you cant get results from your Silvia you will find yourself in a similar position with the Bezzera.

Comment

I called the place where I bought it a few times for advice. Sometimes they are helpfull, sometimes they are not. Depends who I talk to and how busy they are.

I cant help wondering if the steam is to wet causing my problems.

I took a video...this was after I fully purged the initial wet steam. I wiped the glass pitcher dry with a cloth.

Is this steam to wet?

http://youtu.be/IBl7oU8Zrl4

Comment

To me, that looks totally fine.
                    What would be useful is if you could post up a video of you steaming the milk. That way we can try to see if its your technique that is causing problems or the machine itself.

Comment

I live alone so its impossible to film it while I do it I got a cap at the coffee shop and this time a diff. barista did not fold the milk...he created the foam and then only heated the bottom liquid till it rose more.

When he poured my cap. the foam melted within a few minutes with only the top foam left as a glacier. This is the same problem I have at home. Because of this, I believe the problem is with in the folding of the milk and I always run out of power during that stage. For caps I usually stretch to 120 F, but for more folding I will stretch to 100 but then I dont get enough foam as I personally prefer. This is with about 5 oz of 100% fat milk. I have tried the tech. as when to start the steaming  right before the boiler light goes out so it will stay on, but I usually miss the right time to start.

I also suspect one hole tip doesnt create the same textured foam as a  2 hole tip(their commercial machine has a 2 hole tip and with the right barista the foam just seems more rigid).

Rather than PID my Silvia for less dead band and more steam power, I rather save the money for a low priced HX machine....if folding is indeed what is causing my issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X