Sunbeam EM6910 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM6910 question

i recently bought a BNIB EM6910 off ebay. I have had it for about 5 weeks and all has been good until the last few days. I use the same grind setting (fresh beans) on my Sunbeam burr grinder (very fine setting), use the same pressured tamp (approx 30lbs) but the poor from the single and double (single floor) shot filters are significantly different. The pressure needle goes up to about 12 oclock for the single basket but only gets up to about 9 oclock for the double. Any thoughts fellow coffee lovers?

Re: Sunbeam EM6910 question

Yes- all normal.

A single is never 1/2 double dose and if done properly requires a different grind size.

Comment

Yeah, this is normal. Get used to using either the double or single and stick with it, they do behave quite different.

I think there is more pressure created in the single because the sides taper down towards the floor. So when you apply pressure from above it magnifies the compression between coffee grinds in the lower section. Its not a major increase in pressure, but its noticable and frustrating when swapping between the two. The double has straight sides so there is no pressure magnification.

Comment

thanks for the replies.
        it has been getting gradually worse though. a few weeks ago the double shot filter was working brilliantly with a fine grind and constant tamp pressure; the needle would be at the 12 oclock position with a mouse tail poor and great colour. Now it is like a rats tail and runs clear after a few seconds. the grinder cant get any finer. The single filter is working consistently well.

Comment

Ambient conditions and bean age can have a large affect too. So even if you perform identical procedures day after day the coffee will pour differently and taste differently depending on temperature, humidity and bean age/quality.

Good coffee is near impossible to perform consistently, hence why its treated like a fine art and produces us coffeesnobs

Having said that - are you sure your grinder is doing its job correctly? Maybe you need to consider cleaning that as well. From what I see on this site people rarely use their sunbeam grinders on the finest grind unless the burrs are wearing out or something in the grinder isnt correctly fitted. Ive had an EM0480 for 4+ years and I still use grind settings in the middle third.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B272427262D242A273D3A232D480 link=1331937120/3#3 date=1331945702
            it has been getting gradually worse though. a few weeks ago the double shot filter was working brilliantly with a fine grind and constant tamp pressure;
            its a continual adjustment game! Never assume that todays settings will work tomorrow - every few days, treat your equipment like it is in need of small adjustments like when you Havent used it for a while, that way you should avoid the creep

Comment

Hi sounds like your grinder needs a extra washer below the head. Also clean once a week, use vacume for quick clean.

Comment

my grinder is the EM0450. I reckon that is where the problem is. I had it set on 7 yesterday and used the single filter; it was crap. I had to dial it down to 2 before it gave me a decent shot. I might try the adding of a washer as per aqua3s advice. Thoughts?? Maybe a better grinder?

Comment

Originally posted by 68646764656E6769647E79606E0B0 link=1331937120/7#7 date=1332106039
                  Thoughts?? Maybe a better grinder?
                  your grinder should be sufficient for now - dont rule it out based on numbers, numbers are evil! Adjust the grind finer (doesnt matter if it ends on 2 or 20, its all relative), and see if you get a better shot. If yes, then your grinder is fine. If your grinder cant go fine enough, and your beans are <2-3 weeks old, then you may have problems with your grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by 48444744454E4749445E59404E2B0 link=1331937120/7#7 date=1332106039
                    used the single filter
                    I would work with the double filter first - much more forgiving and easier to get consistent shots.

Comment

i have read a few posts on the EM0480/0450 regarding grind issues. I will pull it apart and have a play around with it as the grinder is the only thing that i can see is causing me grief. Thanks for all your feedback and ill be sure to comment if i fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 7B777477767D747A776D6A737D180 link=1331937120/7#7 date=1332106039
                        I had to dial it down to 2 before it gave me a decent shot.
                        Originally posted by 7B777477767D747A776D6A737D180 link=1331937120/10#10 date=1332194712
                        I will pull it apart and have a play around with it as the grinder is the only thing that i can see is causing me grief.
                        I still dont understand - whats wrong with grinding on "2"?

Comment

iandb, the problem is that i cant get the double filter to perform a nice shot no matter how fine i grind it. The #2 setting works fine for the single. I cleaned the grinder out a few weeks ago and the issues started from then when I think back about it. I am going to have a play with the grinder and will see if i can get it back to how it was grinding prior to cleaning it. Probably wont get to do that until Friday so ill post my results then.

Comment

I see! Have you been using the same beans in the last couple of weeks?

Its possible you didnt reassemble it right, or put a washer on the wrong side of something, so the burrs are in a different position.

Have a look at these:
                            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/attachments/EM0480_Recalibration_Guide.PDF
                            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1278506248

HTH

Comment

awesome work iandb. ill get stuck in and give this a go tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X