Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar Owners Thread?

Hi all,
    I did a search and didnt see an Oscar Owners Thread. I am sure I am missing something, can someone point me towards it? I just see very scattered threads about the Oscar. Maybe there is not enough interest in this machine on here?

Thanks!

Re: Oscar Owners Thread?

Originally posted by 525D574E4F52484F3B0 link=1332688469/0#0 date=1332688469
    Hi all,
    I did a search and didnt see an Oscar Owners Thread.  I am sure I am missing something, can someone point me towards it?  I just see very scattered threads about the Oscar.  Maybe there is not enough interest in this machine on here?

Thanks!
    Hello and welcome iflutist,

You could start one?

If it has legs, it will walk.

Good luck.

Chris

Comment

Theres not really an owners thread on here, more bits and bobs scattered here and there info wise. Theres a bit of info in the rebuild thread, and more info on home-barista, so might be worth checking there too.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Ill be needing to descale an Oscar soon and was just wondering whether anyone has any tips due to its uniqueness.

Mainly

1. where is the boiler level probe located
        2. Because it doesnt have an OPV does anything happen differently when you try to fill the boiler completely?
        3. on YouTube a guy tilted his Oscar forward and opened up the steam tap to drain the boiler, is this how you guys have done it?

Comment

Hey ITC,
          Where are you located btw, and are you descaling for a friend?
          If you undo the 4 screws on the cup warmer tray and the two screws under the water fill flap, the top half will just come straight off - very easy.
          If you look on the photo below, you can see a red wire going into the boiler between the steam pipe and the pstat - thats the boiler fill probe.
          What I do to drain is pull out the probe, undo the nut connecting the steam pipe to the boiler (carefully so you dont bend it), and turn the machine upside down over the sink and rest it on the top of the metal frame. Easier ad safer to do this when the machine is cold.
          Then I replace the probe and nut for the steam pipe, fill the tank with decsaler solution, leave the red boiler probe wire disconnected, open the steam valve and turn the machine on. When descaler comes out the steam tip, reattach the boiler fill probe wire and descale normally.
          Repeat the draining proceedure to drain the boiler after.
          Tedious I know, but youll never get all the water and descaler out if you try to empty through the steam pipe as its on the top of the machine. This method is not really that hard and drains very fast.
          All the best!

Comment

Wow thanks much clearer now. Yes it is for my brother-in-laws machine.

As he is moving house he doesnt have a filtration system and it has been about 6 months so I think some preventative maintenance may be cost effective?

Do you unscrew the steam pipe so the water flows out from there rather than travel up the steam wand?

Comment

Yep thats right, and you pull out the boiler fill probe so that air flows back in through there as water is flowin out of the steam pipe connection - otherwise it takes forever as it blobs out.
              Good luck!

Comment

NS Oscar Owners' Thread?

How does one start one besides starting a thread that says "Nuova Simonelli Owners' Thread?"

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                Hello and welcome iflutist,

You could start one?

If it has legs, it will walk.

Good luck.

Chris

Comment

Hi all,

I need help / advice, Keep in mind my Oscar is 5 years old but new to me. Since i first received it it has been occasionally triggering the low water cutoff when there was still water in the reservoir. Well today after replacing the shower screen and group-head seal it wouldn't recognize water in the tank. When I have it pulled it apart it was evident that the thermal foam "stuff" (I'm sure there is an official term somewhere) had fallen away from the boiler and had fallen on top of the connector between the tank and the machine which is also the low water level switch. When I had replaced the tank I had pushed the powdery stuff into the connector. I have rinsed it out and done everything I can think of.

I don't want to assume that the obvious (black stuff in hole) was the problem as it could just be coincidental. Likewise the stuff could have been in there for awhile. I certainly cant recall underlying tones of black stuff!!

finaly to the questions - Does anyone know how the low water level switches work? I was of the understanding that very simply, if water is there the circuit is completed and the machine works. Absence of water, circuit broken and no workie.

Secondly is there any other parts that can trigger the low water cutoff, i.e. pumps etc etc

Any thoughts would really be appreciated. I facing a soccer morning without coffee.....HELP
                  Last edited by yabba; 16 March 2013, 08:13 PM. Reason: meestakes

Comment

I believe your understanding of how the sensor works is correct. Anything that insulates the contacts will cause a problem. If you have the back of the machine off, with the power OFF and the cord in your hand - try shorting the contacts with a croc clip. Then re-apply power and see if it is happy. If it is, then de-grunging the contacts will probably do it. My Oscar had an issue with the contacts which was resolved with some acid ( I am a lazy bugger!).

/Kevin

Comment

Am wondering what an ok price for a used Oscar, with unknown history might be? Am currently talking with someone who is reselling an office machine they don't know the history for, and am looking at roughly AU$600.

Comment

That's more than I would ask, or pay - it's in an office environment with probably not much love evidenced by them not knowing the history. I had some passing interest in one on eBay a fee weeks ago - ended up selling for $380. That should give you an idea of what an OK price could be.

Comment

Ok, it appears it's been services twice by espresso doctors in Brisbane, judging from stickers on the back of the machine.

Anything in particular to look for when inspecting a used Oscar?

Comment

Shower screen. Is that pattern due to mold? I haven't seen the machine in person yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	showerscreen2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	734594

Comment

Mr Pivot, the basic structure of the Oscar screen is mesh over plate that has holes in it. The basic pattern you can see is from that however there still could be grime etc there. They are cheap either way.

Cheers
                              Last edited by yabba; 17 July 2013, 02:16 PM. Reason: Image removed - too small

Comment

Working...
                              X