Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which coffee machine?

Hi All,

I need some advice on choosing a coffee machine. We rarely drink milk based coffees, so the steaming/frothing capability is not an issue.  Just need a machine that can deliver a good shot. 

I have been looking at the Gaggia classic, the Silvia and the Lelit machine (basic model), although I am not sure if the Silvia or Lelit machines are worth the extra cost.  Am planning on pairing the machine with a Breville smart grinder.

Are there any other machines in this price range which I should consider?

Any advice is welcome.

JA

Re: Which coffee machine?

If you could stretch your budget here is a wonderful deal from Talk Coffee - and pair it with a K3.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933911/6#6

Good luck and I know a budget can be pushed... I did as I wanted to minimise the upgrade syndrome

Comment

Hello jawa,

If its shots only, the best match would be an e-61 single boiler with Scace calibration- something like a VBM Piccolo or Diadema Perfetta. These are deadly shot machines once the time is spent to calibrate them- but they come at a cost. We do the calibration gratis on machines we sell.

In the <$1k mark, look at the Lelit PL041 TEMD and match whatever you choose with the best grinder you can afford.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 6E4B4A505D240 link=1333258594/1#1 date=1333261203
        If you could stretch your budget here is a wonderful deal .....
        Well i guess there is pushing a budget, and then there is blowing it completely with something 3-5 times the original value ! :

Comment

I should have mentioned that the upper limit of my budget is $800.

What about the three machines I am considering for just doing shots,  are they comparable? 

Comment

Hi Jawa,

Here is a Lelit/Silvia comparison:
            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1304917830

One update from that comparo - the Lelits now have ball jointed steam wands.

charlie

Comment

Thanks Charlie. So has the leaky steam wand issue with the lelit machines been fixed with the newer models?

Comment

Hi Jawa,

The new shipment arriving in about 1 week has a new steam tap rod design which seems to have overcome the issue that some machines have had with water dripping from the steam wand.

Weve installed a few of the new tap rods when doing machine services with excellent results. In fact, every machine that has had a drip that weve put it into has stopped dripping - without the need to change the valve body - which was sometimes required with the older design.

charlie 

Comment

Working...
                X