Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ristretto on La Pavoni

Hi all,

To the other lever operators on CS; Ive been working on my Ristretto technique and wanted to compare notes.

Basically I dose and tamp the same as per a normal shot (for a normal Im use a Fellini Pull - pulling the shot out just prior to the flow stopping). Lots of pressure required on the lever - sometimes very close to a choke.

For the Ristretto however, I pre-infuse with a bit of lever until feeling a bit of resistance. At this stage the flow starts dripping or running very slowly. I raise the lever, discard the contails and then pull the shot, removing the cup at around 20mls.

Anyone else got a technqiue they want to share?

Re: Ristretto on La Pavoni

Interesting technique paulvin...

How do you find the viscosity (ie is the shot thick)?

btw - I am using an Olympia Cremina

Comment

ponte vecchio lusso owner here. my single ristretto is produced by dosing up by about gram, fining up the grind by a click, holding longer pre-infusion (more like 10s) and a single pump (as opposed to the short 3s infusion and 1.5 pumps i do for a longer espresso).

if i want a double i just prep both portafilters and pull the shot as described above from both levers into the same cup.

in saying that, my standard espresso is definitely tighter and thicker than what most would classify as an espresso - its about halfway between the 2. In order to make a conventional espresso in volume, texture and taste i think it would take a much lighter basket and a slightly coarser grind...

Comment

Call me a heretic but the term Ristretto is misused and is now with the advent of pumped machines something very different to the original Italian meaning. It was restricted but had nothing to do with restricted volume as the levers of the time were fixed volume, according to some older Italians I have talked to it had to do with restricted shot time.

As to whatever you like in taste or mouthfeel then keep doing it as all levers are different and what works for one wont get you the same result in another

For me stupidly short volume shots are just a waste of coffee. Try running full volume skip the first couple of seconds of the pour and as it tails pull the cup out. This sometimes gives a slightly sweeter shot depending on the bean.

Currently have 4 levers and another WIP 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 6F686C636B617464636A0D0 link=1333779969/3#3 date=1340022321
          Call me a heretic
          Heretic...

Comment

just wondering what is the general opinion on lever machines?

Comment

I wont respond due to a slight bias and it would drag this way way way OT ;D

Comment

fair enough

Comment

but you like it, right?

Comment

Working...
                  X