breville dual boiler stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breville dual boiler stopped working

I have had the new d.b since january, as of today, it has stopped extracting properly. Usually, by about 12 seconds it starts to pour, and finishes around 28-30 sec. This morning, it didnt start to pour until about 30 seconds and then only a dribbble. I tried about 5 shots, all with the same result. I just tried again this arvo, with same result. I havent changed any of the variables, dose, grind etc. The pressure guage still shows around 9 or 10 bar, same as normal. I use it once on weekdays anfd 2 to 3 times on weekends. I flush a dose of water through portafilter and wipe out after every shot and clean with tablet when prompted. Any ideas? Off to service dept i suppose...

Re: breville dual boiler stopped working

Helen,

That’s not good.

If the gauge shows 9 or 10, your pump is working.

How is the flow without the portafilter in? Also does the hot water and steam work?

Which filter baskets are you using? The double walled baskets can block up easily as there is only one hole in the bottom layer.

Barry.

Comment

Everything else is working, the water flows as normal. I use the single wall filter and clean thouroghly after each use.

Comment

Hi Helen,

Are you using the same beans before and after the problem arose?

Gary at G

Comment

You might just need to grind a bit coarser

Comment

Hi Gary, yes, nothing has changed from yesterday. Ive done everything the same. The beans were roasted on 3 rd and 4th of the month, been using them since 5th April. Theyve poured normally up until this morning.

Comment

Did you use auto mode to extract coffee? If yes, try to use manual button.
              If using auto extraction and you observe extended extraction time, the flowmeter in your machine may need to investigate. Normally the paddle wheel inside of the flow meter clogs can extend the extraction time in auto pulling mode.

Comment

If youre getting same water flow (with no coffee) and same pressure, it doesnt sound like the machine, but the coffee puck. You started using those beans very young, they are now more degassed and grind will significantly change. Then there is weather too.

As others said, grind more course. Dont expect grind to stay the same between every day.

Comment

Alright lets work from the start. Could you test these and answer each one then it paints a picture for us.

1. with NO portafilter in the machine, when you press any of the buttons do you get water ? Yes/No

2. with NO portafilter in the machine, when you press and hold 2 CUPS button do you get HIGH pressure water straight away? Yes/No

3. with portafilter with single/double basket in but EMPTY again water on any button? Yes/No

4. with portafilter and blind basket and 2cups for high pressure does it backflush ? Yes/No

I highly doubt its the machine, as do most others here and i feel too its the beans and your grind which is the issue, test ALL of the above steps and report back.
                  If your machine is working after step 1 and 2 then id 99% say for sure its your beans.

Comment

I cant test any of that as ive already taken the unit to the repairer. One thing i forgot to mention was that it was very noisy. On the day it stopped working i tried about 6 tines varying the grind and tamp, it didnt even remotely help. The beans are what i always buy and use in the same time frame and have always been fine. I didnt want to start pulling it apart, id rather leave that to the experts, especially since its only a few months old.

Comment

Hi Helen, I realise that this thread is quite old, however I've just had exactly the same problem with my machine. Do you remember what they did at the repairer? Breville have advised me to take it to a registered repairer also, but it's miles away. Wondering if there's something I can do from here? Many thanks, Tee

Comment

Working...
                      X