X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Sunbeam EM6910

Hi All,
    I am new here so take it easy one me ok
    I have a problem with my Sunbeam EM6910 and I am hoping someone out there can offer some advice.

My unit is approx 6 years old and to be honest has been a little unreliable. It has developed a problem and if its not a quick fix it will be upgrade time.
    It fires up ok and the light changes to green or red (I forget  :), indicating that its at temp an ready to go. However when I push the go button all it does it make a lot of noise.
    I am not sure of the correct terminology but normally you will get the intermitten noise where its priming or something about 4 times and then the water will flow. Now I get the pulse sound continually and no water flow. I have the manual at home and was hoping it is something I could fix myself as I do not want to spend anymore money on this unit. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the cause?
    I should point out it has happened twice before. The first time was when I had it in storage for a year. This was fixed when I took it in for a service and to have the group head collar replaced. The second time was again after a period of none use which fixed itself after I walked away in disgust.

Someone has suggest it may be an airlock but I have no idea about coffee machines. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on the cause I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Re: Dead Sunbeam EM6910

i had a similar problem and diamond service in richmond fixed it quickly and well under $100.

i reckon it was the main brew line with gunk in it so maybe yours can be fixed without requiring parts. 

...i did take the opportunity to updgrade to an Alex Izzo Duetto in any case .  Best money i ever spent.

Best of luck, tricky business getting old stuff fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by 2F3F2839393F282C2F344D0 link=1334022816/1#1 date=1334025382
      i had a similar problem and diamond service in richmond fixed it quickly and well under $100.

i reckon it was the main brew line with gunk in it so maybe yours can be fixed without requiring parts. 

...i did take the opportunity to updgrade to an Alex Izzo Duetto in any case .  Best money i ever spent.

Best of luck, tricky business getting old stuff fixed.
      Tricky business indeed. The last time the repairs cost me $200 I really dont think its worth spending much more on it.

Thanks for your advice.

Comment

If it is 6 yrs old it is really not worth spending money on in my opinion. I sold mine which was two yrs old for $200 about 6 months ago.
        Have you taken off the shower screen and checked that water is getting that far? Have you used filtered water or made sure you changed the inbuilt filter in the water reservoir? Is that filter blocked -try taking it out and try the machine again. if you try the steam knob are you getting steam?

Good luck,
        Noel

Comment

Also make sure the water reservoir is pushed in fully. Could also be the anti-calc filter being blocked? When was the last time you changed it?

Agree with the others regarding checking shower screens etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 5B6E6168600F0 link=1334022816/4#4 date=1334035655
            Also make sure the water reservoir is pushed in fully. Could also be the anti-calc filter being blocked? When was the last time you changed it?

Agree with the others regarding checking shower screens etc.
            I have tried the steam and the hot water none of them work. I will have a look at the shower screen over the weekend but I suspect the water isnt getting that far.
            I have replaced the filter not long ago so I can rule that one out.
            Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Gday Dasher, I have owned an EM6900 for six years, and can sympathise with your comment on reliability. However, I suspect i know the cause of your problem and if im not mistaken, you can fix it yourself at no cost in minutes.

But first, it will help to understand the distinction between priming and pre infusion.

The four bursts that you speak of are the sound of pre infusuion at the start of every pour: The machine is gradually injecting hot pressured water into the puck.

Priming however, is only necessary after the machine has been exhausted of water to the point where an airlock has entered the hose that feeds the water pump.

The point is that unless the pump is fully primed you are not going to be able to extract a shot because there is no water supply. So the sound you are hearing is likely to be the start of the priming process.

To allow the priming process to complete, make sure the resevoir is full, place a container under the hot water nozzle, then turn on the hot water, and wait a while. Depending on the size of the airlock it can take a surprising amount of time for the water to start to squirt from the nozzle. Eventually you will get a few pathetic splutters. Be patient, and keep waiting until you get a steady stream of hot water. At that point you can turn off the hot water happy in the knowledge that the airlock has been dispelled. All else being well, you will then be able to pull shots as normal.

Hope that helps! 

Comment

Thanks shofie, I will give it a try.
                I will have to wait a while as I have just bought a replacement and if I get the Sunbeam going my wife will kill me

Comment

What did you buy?

Comment

Went way over budget and I ended up buying a VBM Domobar Junior

Comment

Originally posted by 7356445F5245370 link=1334022816/9#9 date=1334783822
                      Went way over budget and I ended up buying a VBM Domobar Junior
                      I think youll be very happy with the VBM. Theyre a cracker of a machine!

Comment

Working...
                      X