I need some help with shopping!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help with shopping!

Hi all, Im new here and found this place when looking for reviews on a few coffee machines I have considered buying. Ive done some research on this site and think Im quickly getting overwhelmed with lots of technicalities that are above my head. Im hoping if I can mention some things that I would like and that I dont care about, you folks can point me in the right direction. This will be my first espresso machine and my husband and I are students, so Im hoping to not spend over $700.

Things I need:
    $700 or under
    Best coffee possible!
    A non-enormous machine
    Good pressure
    Resilience (or good customer service!)

Things I would like:
    Hot water wand for hot drinks
    An automatic/preprogrammed setting for when I want to hit the button and run away to do something else

Things I dont care about:
    Whether the grinder is internal or not

I am a bit snobby when it comes to coffees I get in cafes so I want to be awesome at making my own!! Hopefully Im not being too unreasonable with my preferences.

Thanks in advance everyone

Re: I need some help with shopping!

I hate to break your bubble but you will need to double your budget to get the features you need
    But more realistic around $2000 to $2500 is more the starting mark

KK

Comment

So you want the machine to drop a shot of coffee AND Froff the milk ? is that wat you mean so when you come back its ready?

Or just to measure out a shot of coffee, then you froff the milk etc etc ?

People seem to have quite a few successes with the Sunbeam 6910 or something like that which is about your price. However you have to do some of the work.

Comment

Originally posted by 293F3A292B212F397C4A0 link=1334208901/0#0 date=1334208901
        Things I need:
        $700 or under
        Best coffee possible!
        A non-enormous machine
        Good pressure
        Resilience (or good customer service!)
        Suggest the Gaggia Classic with either MDF grinder or Breville BCG800 will be close to your budget though doesnt allow for accessories.
        Originally posted by 293F3A292B212F397C4A0 link=1334208901/0#0 date=1334208901
        Things I would like:
        Hot water wand for hot drinks
        An automatic/preprogrammed setting for when I want to hit the button and run away to do something else
        Use the kettle and attend to making coffee when youre not running around.

Comment

Originally posted by 706663707278766025130 link=1334208901/0#0 date=1334208901
          Best coffee possible!

Those are basicly two opposing requirements at any price !
          And i am guessing that your budget will have to include a grinder also ?
          If you are prepared to buy used ( Ebay, gumtree etc) , and take some time for the right oportunity, you should have a good chance of finding a well kept Rancillio Silvia + grinder ( or the Lucy with integral grinder). .
          If you insist on new, then possible a Gaggia Classic and Breville smart grinder, may just work.
          ..But you wont be able to walk away from it !

Comment

Originally posted by 69676E656F3E390B0 link=1334208901/4#4 date=1334211125
            If you are prepared to buy used ( Ebay, gumtree etc)
            I think this is VERY BAD advice. Purchasing 2nd hand at this end of the market, you will be very lucky to get something that works, let alone makes good coffee.

Originally posted by 69676E656F3E390B0 link=1334208901/4#4 date=1334211125
            If you insist on new, then possible a Gaggia Classic and Breville smart grinder, may just work.
            Good to know you concur. ;D

Comment

+1 for Dennis

At the end of the market its not built for the longest lasting quality and no doubt many people that have bought them arent going to take the best care of them, so id probably be inclined to buy new.
              If you do look after it youll be able to get some money for it down the track if you sell up and move on

Comment

Originally posted by 467A7B606677777C2321120 link=1334208901/2#2 date=1334209960
                So you want the machine to drop a shot of coffee AND Froff the milk ? is that wat you mean so when you come back its ready?

Or just to measure out a shot of coffee, then you froff the milk etc etc ?
                Just measure out the shot... Im happy to froth the milk when I want it! Will look at the 6910 again but it seems like theres a bit of variance in quality in that line! Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 414F464D471611230 link=1334208901/4#4 date=1334211125
                  Originally posted by 706663707278766025130 link=1334208901/0#0 date=1334208901
                  Best coffee possible!

Those are basicly two opposing requirements at any price !
                  And i am guessing that your budget  will have to include a grinder also ?
                  If you are prepared to buy used ( Ebay, gumtree etc) , and take some time for the right  oportunity, you should have a good chance of finding a  well kept Rancillio Silvia + grinder ( or the Lucy with integral grinder).  .
                  ..But you wont be able to walk away from it ! 
                  Budget doesnt necessarily need to include a grinder, but I have seen some deals at big stores that throw in a free conical burr grinders with coffee machine purchase (which would be nice!). I think Id measure my own shot 75% of the time but if Im running late for work or something having a programmable setting a la the BES820 would be convenient.

Comment

If the budget doesnt include a grinder theres a near new BDB BES900 for sale second hand for close to your budget...

Comment

Originally posted by 5075627D7043252D2224140 link=1334208901/9#9 date=1334219767
                      If the budget doesnt include a grinder theres a near new BDB BES900 for sale second hand for close to your budget...
                      Nice, Where??

Comment

Theres one going for $900 in the Coffee Hardware For Sale thread....could be what is being referred to.

Comment

Originally posted by 043839222435353E6163500 link=1334208901/6#6 date=1334213414
                          +1 for Dennis

At the end of the market its not built for the longest lasting quality and no doubt many people that have bought them arent going to take the best care of them, so id probably be inclined to buy new.
                          If you do look after it youll be able to get some money for it down the track if you sell up and move on
                          Silvia/Lucy is not exactly the disposable end of the market. Further, the Rancillios are renown for their durability and repair ability.
                          Gumtree is good for that kind of buy, you can inspect , test, and haggle before you buy.
                          ..Of course you could just buy a nice new guaranteed machine and be care free......like Choppy

Comment

Originally posted by 7B5A5151564C3F0 link=1334208901/5#5 date=1334212427

I think this is VERY BAD advice. Purchasing 2nd hand at this end of the market, you will be very lucky to get something that works, let alone makes good coffee.
                            Personally, Id feel more comfortable about the longevity of a well looked after S/H Silvia etc than I would about buying a brand new Sunville, which could easily self combust shortly after its 1 year warranty has expired!

Comment

Cool, thanks for the opinions!! I will keep an eye out for used Rancilios and new 6910s...I might also drop my price range for the espresso machine and get something under $500 so I can buy a more expensive grinder.

Comment

Working...
                              X