Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh No not another help me pick a machine thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh No not another help me pick a machine thread!

Hi All,

You may have seen my earlier post about my dying Sunbeam. Well I have decided to put her out of her misery and get a replacement.
    I have poured over these forums to learn as much as possible and have narrowed it down to the following:
    Diadema Perfetta.
    Isomac Zaffiro
    Rancilio Silvia.
    I would have loved a twin boiler of HX machine but its out of my price range, I have a limit of $1600. I am sticking with my current Sunbeam grinder.
    Anywaymy question is are the Diadema and the Isomac really worth the extra money. I have to say I am really sucked in by the way they look but will I gain anything by spending the extra $800 - $1000.

What I am trying to achieve.......First of I am not a coffee fanatic I appreciate a good coffee but not fanatical about it.
    I am really looking for reliability I dont want to have to replace it after 6 years like my Sunbeam. My wife and I will mainly use it on the weekend for about 4-5 coffees a day each. I would also like to be able to make 4 - 5 in one go if we have visitors.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any advice you may have.

Re: Oh No not another help me pick a machine thread!

Not trying to push it onto you, but any reason why the breville dual boiler isnt on the list ?

Comment

The only thing that keeps me away from it is its a breville. When I bought the Sunbeam I thought I was buying a decent machine and I have had a few issues with it. Its made me wary of these type of brands and though I might be better of sticking with a brand that has developed a good reputation over the years.
      I have heard good things about though.

Comment

I think many of us, including myself felt the same way too, i guess when you think Breville the first thing that comes to mind is "Common mans home appliance"
        And none of us want just a common mans home appliance we want a special tool that creates that magic drink, which does need more than just pushing some hot water through beans, it needs refinement and control..

Trust me Dasher, i thought the same thing. When i was on the hunt for a machine i thought to myself, its gotta be able to do X, Y and Z, do it well and do it over and over. Im open to any brand, but it needs to be good quality, do X Y and Z, look good on the bench and not burn my wallet.

I honestly wouldnt rule out the BES900. I have one and I am in no way dissapointed with what I have bought. I drink around 5 cups of coffee per day on average, my gf around 2-3 cause caffine knocks her around bit more.

To come back to your point, your not a fanatic, well i am and i love this machine so not being a fanatic should make you love it more than me as the results will impress. The quality of the machine is great, have a trawl through the thread here with the owners, Any of them will tell you its a great machine.
        Its really easy to use, continutely repeats amazing cups each time and just an enjoyable experience to use.
        This machine was developed by professionals in the coffee industry and has many features that a full on commercial machine has. Dont compare this machine to the lower end machine cause they are entirely different

Im in no way saying the other machines wont provide the same or if the BES900 is better or worse.
        But for your budget you can easily pick up the BDB and a smart grinder if your wanted to change to the grinder for less than $1400.
        It is a great machine and like all machines in this class with the correct maintenance i see no reason to not get at least 10 years service from the machine.

Comment

If those 3 are the ones on your list...I can comment on the Silvia as I own one...
          For a double or 2 singles at a time I think its great

With regard to making a few in succession it can do it but just be mindful that it is a slightly more time consuming process.
          You need to re-prime the boiler after steaming and wait for the temperature to re-stabilise. Without a PID theres a bit more guesswork as to when it is ready to roll again but you do learn how to get it done with practice

Its still a machine Ive been very happy with given the price

I havent used the other machines but to me the main differences look to be the e61 group head and the fact that the boiler capacities are 2x the Silvia.
          Those differences in theory should give you better temp stability/recovery.

Perhaps thatll make life a lot easier with making multiple coffees, however Ill leave that for someone who owns one to confirm / deny though 

Comment

This is 1 thing i liked about the BES900 you can shoot coffee back to back no problem. As you have full control over the temperature also to 1c. You set it between 85-96c. But ive shot 6 coffees back to back and all turned out really great, only difference was how much attention i paid to froffing milk

Comment

Hmmm your starting to convince me where is the best place to get the Breville these days online or the old fashioned way?

Comment

Originally posted by 4164766D6077050 link=1334362022/0#0 date=1334362022
                I would have loved a twin boiler of HX machine but its out of my price range, I have a limit of $1600. I am sticking with my current Sunbeam grinder.
                Id be tempted to ask some pros about whether your Sunbeam grinder might under-perform relative to your new machine. In which case spending $500 of your budget on your grinder might get you a better overall result.

Comment

Theres a second hand near new BES900 in the for sale section here - 2 year warranty - $900 I think was the last price.

Comment

Originally posted by 0623312A2730420 link=1334362022/0#0 date=1334362022
                    I am really looking for reliability I dont want to have to replace it after 6 years like my Sunbeam.
                    Ref the above.
                    Make sure you read all the threads & reviews ( use Google) before you get convinced what to buy.
                    There are other good Hx m/cs in your price range including the Expobar Office and the NS Oscar, to name but 2 !

Comment

Im not saying get a BES900, but i asked why you didnt include it and you said because of the tainted branding and for that reason i suggested it. Its in a league of its own compared to any of the lower class breville machines. There is also a good reason why many Coffeesnobs on here have them,

Also the advice given above about grinders definately consider it highly on your list. Id scratch the grinder you have and dedicate some of your funds to the machine, after all having a good machine is pointless if your putting bad grind in.

Think of it like a car, if you had a nice car, but run it on poor fuel, it would do an ok job, but wouldnt be performiing at its best,

Investing in a good grinder is just as important as the machine. For example if you did pick up a used BES900 and you spent around $600 on a grinder youd be making very good quality coffee and definately reconsider ever wanting to going to 90% of the cafes out there.

Comment

Dasher,
                        Do you want new or second hand?
                        If 2nd hand, there are plenty of good HX machines and grinders out there.
                        For your budget you can buy a used commercial machine and grinder that will outlast and outperform any of the above mentioned machines.
                        It all depends on how much room you have in the kitchen, what "look" you are going for, and what appeals to you.
                        As an example:
                        These are big units, but will outlast everything.
                        Boema 1 group. [prices vary, from $500 up, depending on condition]
                        Gino Rossi grinder. [$400 for a good 2nd hand unit , $800 new]
                        Boema are Australian made workhorses. Parts are readily available, they are easy to repair, and technicians will come out to your house to repair these, they will not for domestic units.
                        Quite a few people have or have had these units, including the site owner.

Comment

Originally posted by 3D3B27393C233F3E500 link=1334362022/7#7 date=1334368320
                          Originally posted by 4164766D6077050 link=1334362022/0#0 date=1334362022
                          Id be tempted to ask some pros about whether your Sunbeam grinder might under-perform relative to your new machine. In which case spending $500 of your budget on your grinder might get you a better overall result.
                          I am sure there are better grinders out there however as the Sunbeam isnt working at all I figure this is the weakest link 

I am sure you guys are all right about a better grinder giving better results but at this stage I do not have permission from the boss for that. I will get the best coffee machine and re negotiate later. I have found you need to plan your strategies sometimes.

Originally posted by 14312639340761696660500 link=1334362022/8#8 date=1334369813
                          Theres a second hand near new BES900 in the for sale section here - 2 year warranty - $900 I think was the last price.
                          Thanks for that, the Breville does look like an impressive unit.
                          Originally posted by 2324313E33500 link=1334362022/11#11 date=1334380929
                          Do you want new or second hand?
                          If 2nd hand, there are plenty of good HX machines and grinders out there.
                          I have no objections to a secondhand machine if they are in good condition in fact I am a big fan or pre loved items. How do the older H/X etc machines hold up if they have been looked after?

Originally posted by 2324313E33500 link=1334362022/11#11 date=1334380929
                          For your budget you can buy a used commercial machine and grinder that will outlast and outperform any of the above mentioned machines.
                          That would be nice but I have a small kitchen so a big domestic size is all the space I have.

Maybe someone out there can clear something up that I am still a little confused about. I watched a vid on you tube about the Rancilio Silvia and they said it takes about three minutes to go from brew to steam. Do all single boilers take this much time as thats a looong time and will be a pain in the a.ss. since we always have milk?

Comment

You say you want a HX/multiple boiler, yet youve overlooked one of the simplest no frills model on the market, IE, the NS Oscar. Its pretty solidly constructed (or so they say, Ive never actually seen one in the flesh) and is a steal at a tad under $1300 (which enables you to get a better grinder if your wanting to bargain with the missus)

Failing that, theres always something out of left Field (the PV Lusso) which is a HX style Lever machine (or even the export, for a smaller footprint if space is an issue, not that the Lusso is a big machine anyway) for I believe, a smidgen over 1500.

Sorry, More choice isnt always a good option, I know

Comment

Originally posted by 0227352E2334460 link=1334362022/12#12 date=1334396356
                              Maybe someone out there can clear something up that I am still a little confused about. I watched a vid on you tube about the Rancilio Silvia and they said it takes about three minutes to go from brew to steam. Do all single boilers take this much time as thats a looong time and will be a pain in the a.ss. since we always have milk?
                              No, the Silvia can be steaming milk ( @ 120 C)..within 1 min of pulling a shot. !
                              They mean it can take 3 mins before the steam thermostat switches off @ 145C .
                              This is one advantage of a digital temp gauge...so you know what temp the boiler is at !
                              I you go for a Silvia, get the PID version.

Comment

Working...
                              X