Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Sunbeam 6910 issue!

Good evening

Had an issue with the sunbeam machine which I have had for about 3 years. Was getting no pressure from the steam wand, tried cleaning, etc, no go.

Took it to the recommended service location on the sunny coast, have been quoted $325 for repair to CPU? Board because of a blockage. The young lady on the phone didnt really know too much, was just quoting what the service person had written on the quote.

Anyway, not keen on forking out the cash, given its age, and know a few people who have had ongoing issues with the same machine. So,

- is it possible to carry out the repairs myself, saving some coin, or
    - recommendations on a new machine around the same price range, not goin sunbeam again.

Any info appreciated, I have a second hand non working unit for someone if I cant fix it!

Re: Another Sunbeam 6910 issue!

I didnt know the electrons could get a blockage :-? Perhaps a blockage somewhere burnt out something?

If you google the model and serial and find someone selling the exact cpu board you may be able to do it yourself. Maybe. Theyre not easy to get into. And maybe it wont work and then youve got a more expensive dud Alternatively you could find a second hand identical machine and keep yours for spares.

Originally posted by 62656175616E646C65697361000 link=1334832975/0#0 date=1334832975
    recommendations on a new machine around the same price range
    Most or all machines in this range will suffer from the same thing - complicated electronics, hard to take apart, and not designed to be serviced forever.

If you had to spend $600 on a new one every 3 years, why not spend $1800 on one that would outlast it by 10+ years, and make 10x better coffee?

Alternatively, the Breville BES840 for $550 (less in the shop?) sounds like it has some nice features, its a single block with PID. Ive never seen a review though, so youd be the first Or a Gaggia classic sells for 3-400 but they can be a bit tricky.

Im not saying dont buy a "cheapie" but just beware how long theyre intended to last (anything more is a pleasant bonus) and how theyre made and what they do.

HTH

Comment

I just posted a reply to another 6910 owner .. maybe that will help you out too?

Comment

Good thinking lainb, just have convince the minister for finance!

I see you live in Darwin , from there myself, any decent coffee shops there yet?

Comment

Originally posted by 393C2B38365D0 link=1334832975/2#2 date=1334904561
          I just posted a reply to another 6910 owner .. maybe that will help you out too?
          Will get the machine back and give it a shot, nothing to lose!

Comment

Originally posted by 4D4A4E5A4E414B434A465C4E2F0 link=1334832975/3#3 date=1334911526
            Good thinking lainb, just have convince the minister for finance
            I know what its like - you want to convince yourself as well even if the "numbers" look good on paper its still hard to spend a $2000 lump sum on coffee equipment!
            I see you live in Darwin , from there myself, any decent coffee shops there yet?
            Apparently Ricks Bar & Grill in Nhulunbuy pulls a nice shot (on his Izzo Pompeii lever... show off!), otherwise linnaens house, my house, or soon to be the other guy in Katherine whose name I cant remember!

Theres one barista at Donut King in Cas (believe it or not) who knows how not to burn soy milk, and the Cyclone cafe in Parap occasionally has good results. Im still waiting for a consistently good one though

Comment

mine steam wand just stopped working for no apparent reason. i havent tried the advanced settings though and will try it tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
              X