Rancilio Silvia & Rocky Vs Lelit combi PL042EM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Silvia & Rocky Vs Lelit combi PL042EM

Oh man, as a novice, trying to work our what machine and grinder to buy is doing my head in. I want to get the best I can for around $1200. Can anyone help work out what is best, Rancilio Silvia and Rocky grinder or Lelit PL042TEMD. Lelit looks a bit more user friendly, but Im not sure it is as sturdy, and Im a bit worried about ground coffee left in grinder affecting next coffee. Or could you run the grinder until empty once you are done to fix this issue?? I would appreciate any help

Re: Rancilio Silvia & Rocky Vs Lelit combi PL042EM

I have a Lelit combi at work and a Lelit+ eureka mignon at home. The eureka is a better grinder than the built in Lelit but both work fine and make good coffee. Neither retain too much grounds but you can simply run a small amount through if youre worried about stale grounds. My neighbour has a silvia which is a bit more sturdy but also a bit less beginner friendly and it has a ridiculuosly small drip tray. Either choice will make great coffee with practice. cheers David

Comment

Hi Branjie,

I have the PL041TEMD, I am amazed how consistant and great the shots are for a machine of this level.
      I was looking at the combo 042 originally but Im really glad I went with a seperate grinder because upgraditis has taken hold and I am now looking at a Mazzer mini or K3T.

I guess what i am trying to say is; the machine pulls a great shot so you dont want to be limited by the grinder.
      Of course you could still get another grinder later.

Comment

Where possible e.g. if you have the bench; favour separate machine/grinder. Excess heat from the boiler will leak into the beans and cause them to age faster if you are the type to leave a small quantity in the hopper.

In addition you may find you are satisfied with the Silvia but down the track may feel compelled to upgrade your grinder. Having them separate will allow this flexibility.

Lastly cleaning should be easier as you will be able to manoeuvre the grinder here and there.

Comment

Lelit Combi if you intend to take it with you on road trips. The inbuilt grinder does a great job and grinds into the portafilter cleanly. I usually give the plastic nozzle a flick with the fingers at the end and tap the lid for those few final grinds so that there are no left over grind in the grinder.

I have the Combi at work and my Giotto at home. Combi goes on short holidays with me and thats a plus.

Comment

Thanks for your replies everyone . I think Im heading towards the Lelit as it seems more idiot proof for a beginner, and apparently it heats up quicker. I guess I can still always upgrade to a separate grinder down the track.

Im so excited about getting this new machine and making some real coffee after using a Nespresso for the last 2.5 years. Looks like I will be watching a lot of youtube videos on grinding, tamping and microfrothing so fingers crossed, I can get it right.

saoye does your work really let you take their machine with you on holidays ? Hey, do you know if there are any good service centres in Adelaide, in case I have any problems with the Lelit?

Comment

Should I get extended warranty?

Comment

Mate just got the same machine the Lelit combi with the Pid Lelit PL042TEMD from Jetblack who is a site sponsor couple of minor hassles but Charlie or Brad can help you there support is very good and the machine is very good if you have had a single boiler you will be ok the machine punches above its weight and easy to use where are you if you are in Sydney give them a call they will look after you.

Comment

adland Im planning to buy from Jetblack, but would need to get it sent as Im not in Sydney. Do you think this model is worth the extra money, as it has built in PID? Did you happen to get the starter pack with the ideal size tamper?

Comment

Originally posted by 5242515E5A5955300 link=1334897706/5#5 date=1334964281
                    saoye does your work really let you take their machine with you on holidays Smiley? Hey, do you know if there are any good service centres in Adelaide, in case I have any problems with the Lelit?
                    I bought mine 6 months used from a CSer. There really isnt that much that could go wrong with them with a little care, ie backflushing (without caffetto) after every use (with caffetto once a month) and descaling every 6 months, remembering to refill the boiler after using the steam function and using filtered water and for SA softened water (get the water softener from Bombora). The main hassle was the leaky steam wand but if you are buying new you should be getting the upgraded ball joint wands which I believe has fixed the leak problem. Double check with the sponsor that you buy from that this is the case. Regarding servicing at Adelaide there are a couple of places but they do not specifically deal with Lelit. Try Coffee Craft if you are down south or check Espresso Company Australia for their SA supplier (since their SA suppliers are not site sponsors I wont mention who they are). If you need a few more then PM me since they are not site sponsors.

The lelit really is easy to get good espresso out of. Actually easier than my Giotto. Regarding the office, its my machine so I can bring it in or take it home whenever I like, and I happen to be the boss in the department so it sits in my office. I just close the door when I make my espresso and I only make a double shot espresso at midday which carries me through until I get home for a latte on the Giotto.

Comment

saoye thanks for your advice. Ive taken down some notes for when I get my machine. Sounds like youve got your daily coffees sorted out nicely between office and home

Comment

No probs. my machine originally came from jetblack and I have their precise tamper for the lelit they usually have some package deals.

Comment

do you guys think the pid is worth it in the combi or should i get the non pid Lelit PL41LEM with a seperate stepless Lelit PL043 or Isomac Professionale instead pid is the only real thing im leaning towards Lelit Combi with PID PL042TEMD
                          thanks for your advice
                          devious
                          (Coffee Noob)

Comment

Dont forget you can also get the Lelit with PID and no built in grinder.

Or with your budget you could get the Breville DB (one advertised here for $900) and separate grinder?

Cheers

Comment

Hi Guys,
                              Sorry to get off track here, but Im a new member and I have no idea how to decipher the Italian Manual for my Lelit. Their English translated Manual is not very good in my opinion. Anyway, I need some help from those who has the Lelit PL042EM. I have just purchased the Lelit PL042EM Today and Im having trouble with the Built-in grinder.This is my first Coffee machine btw... The Grinder has a detectable coffee bean container, and I first got it I accidentally detached it, now I do not know which setting it is on. Does anyone know how to reset the degree of the grind? My best guess is to turn the knob until it hits the most coarse and align it with the number 7 and go from there but is this the only way? Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X