Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia V1 vs V2/3

Hi all,

Im currently looking at buying a secondhand Silvia V1, just wondering what the functional/performance difference is between the V1 and the V2/3.

From some searching about the place Ive been able to figure out that the boiler design is slightly different, and the OPV is not adjustable, aside from that just the cosmetics of the drip tray cover.

Is there anything Im missing?

I figure the OPV is the major point of difference and I will probably mod it or replace it with the adjustable version (ISTR I can get them from Coffee Parts) in fairly short order.

Also, any other gotchas I should know about around the V1?

Thanks,

-M

Re: Silvia V1 vs V2/3

The steam wand is on a ball joint for the V3. The V1 and V2 only moves left to right.

The steam knob is different too. This is asthetics only though.

Comment

Hmmm, that puts my crossgrade parts bill up to ~$250 (though the steam wand probably doesnt bother me too much at this stage) but it helps put my budget in perspective.

Thanks.

Comment

From what I understand...

V1 - no adjustable OPV. Older version drip tray (all circular holes). Older version (non ball joint) steam wand and knob. The copper pipe for the steam arm and its attachment to the boiler is a slightly different design

V2 - adjustable OPV. I think the rest is the same as the V1, with the possible exception of the drip tray. Im not sure if all V2s have the older drip tray or not, mine does

V3 - adjustable OPV. New style ball joint steam wand and boiler attachment. New design steam knob. New design drip tray and brew head collar. New design portafilter handle

If you do a google image search for Rancilio Silvia youll see the cosmetic differences

I believe that besides the OPV and steam arm the internal build is very similar if not exactly the same, same boiler size, element, thermostats, brew head etc etc

Comment

Interested to know your budget.
          A version 2 with adjustable opv and all the same holed drip tray are about $500.
          I guess you are looking at about $200 for a v1 plus upgrades all up total about $500
          I may be off here.
          I know I was asking $500 for my v2 (later 2006 with adjustable opv). I never got round to advertising it.

I think v1 had replaceable boiler coils. New boilers for v2 are $160 and the coil are fixed though I believe there is someone who can drill them out and fit replaceable new ones.

Comment

Yeah, that was pretty much my understanding, Im not particularly fussed about the cosmetic stuff, Ill probably want to swap the OPV out though, or at least pad it out to drop the pressure some (mind Ill have to dig up or otherwise engineer a pressure testing portafilter for that), if the steam wand annoys me I can swap that out later.

Basically I was looking to dial in my budget against any potentially necessary mods.

Comment

Originally posted by 5E4F5753435B3A0 link=1335742248/4#4 date=1335872623
              Interested to know your budget.
              A version 2 with adjustable opv and all the same holed drip tray are about $500. 
              Yeah, thats about where Im aiming.

I know I was asking $500 for my v2 (later 2006 with adjustable opv). I never got round to advertising it.
              V2 didnt have the ball joint steam wand though? Or was Chonski wrong about that?

I think v1 had replaceable boiler coils.  New boilers for v2 are $160 and the coil are fixed though I believe there is someone who can drill them out and fit replaceable new ones.
              Interesting, Id never seen anything about that, but then again the fixed element boilers are pretty readily available and not hideously expensive. Mind, the trick is not burning it out in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by 212A2D2C31292B420 link=1335742248/3#3 date=1335861179

V3 - adjustable OPV. New style ball joint steam wand and boiler attachment. New design steam knob. New design drip tray and brew head collar. New design portafilter handle
                I forgot about the difference in porterfilter handles.

Comment

Originally posted by 676F7F687A7E79687F0D0 link=1335742248/6#6 date=1335873561
                  V2 didnt have the ball joint steam wand though? Or was Chonski wrong about that?
                  Yep thats right. The V2 doesnt have the ball joint steam arm. There are upgrade kits available

Comment

Im in the same boat atm, keeping an eye out for a good value second hand model... itd be hard to justify paying $500 2nd hand unless the machine came with extra accessories such as naked PF, quality tamper and baskets as new they can be had around $600 if youre patient.

Comment

inertia8, is quite correct.  New Silvias are around $650 as a special at one site sponsor.

I forgot to say my Silvia has a Watlow PID - hence $300 for Silvia $200 for PID = $500. 

Greg Pullman (sponsor) used to have a pressure gauge for rent (by post). This is a much cheaper option

I have made a Pressure gauge using a Commercial quality Gauge. (Photo)  (Gauge cost around $60 the brass fittings around $20.  The PF handle I already had.

The built in pressure gauge PF for sale at Coffee Parts (sponsor) registers exactly the same pressure as the one I made. They are good quality.

NOTES:
                      When using a pressure gauge that has a pressure outlet low down in the PF make sure the pathway to dial is free from water as. If there is water in the pipe then the gauge will swing widely.  It is just a matter or shaking any water out before use.

Also the "gauged" PF handles do not have a basket so will have to turn more in the Group.  I found when checking the Giotto I have to swap gaskets.  Silvia is okay as there is no handle to foul.

My silvia original had a OPV pressure set to 12 bar.  I have reduced this to 9 bar.

This is not the pump pressure it is the maximum water pressure through the grinds.

Comment

Originally posted by 6E7F6763736B0A0 link=1335742248/10#10 date=1335919358
                        Greg Pullman (sponsor) used to have a pressure gauge for rent (by post). This is a much cheaper option
                        I was under the impression that that disappeared at some point, but I may be confusing it with another, I suppose I could ping him and ask.

Originally posted by 6E7F6763736B0A0 link=1335742248/10#10 date=1335919358
                        The built in pressure gauge PF for sale at Coffee Parts (sponsor) registers exactly the same pressure as the one I made. They are good quality.
                        I was intending to fit an internal guage at some point, and if an OPV adjustment was necessary thatd probably translate to "soon", I recall seeing one at one of the sponsors, cant find one in the Coffee Parts catalogue though, a link would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Good thread, my mate asked me the same Question as OP and i will direct him here.

Comment

On that, I assume an internal guage into a blind filter should provide a pretty accurate indication of pressure in the group? Id think it should be essentially the same as the reading off a guaged PF, though maybe a touch higher (owing to restriction in the brew path) but if I set to 9bar off an internal guage Id expect the actual pressure to be somewhere in the 8.5-9bar butter zone.

Comment

http://www.coffeeparts.com.au/misc/portafilters-guage

Comment

Working...
                              X