Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time Rancilio Silvia

Hello snobs,
    first time poster here so please if wrong forum let me know. I am buying a Rancilio Silvia V3 in the next coming week. Coupling this with a 140$ Sunbeam grinder. I have 1.5kg of Vittoria beans left over from buying them on special when i wasnt that big on coffee.

Questions are: Will the grinder suffice for miss sylvia? Will the beans be able to create a slightly decent coffee with cremeur?
    Once the beans are over i will most definitely be buying freshly roasted but for now will the be fine to experiment and learn the ins and outs of miss sylvia with?

Thankyou

Re: First time Rancilio Silvia

Originally posted by 052B372F203D2B3E4E0 link=1335872353/0#0 date=1335872353
    Hello snobs,
                    first time poster here so please if wrong forum let me know. I am buying a Rancilio Silvia V3 in the next coming week. Coupling this with a 140$ Sunbeam grinder. I have 1.5kg of Vittoria beans left over from buying them on special when i wasnt that big on coffee.

Questions are: Will the grinder suffice for miss sylvia? Will the beans be able to create a slightly decent coffee with cremeur?
    Once the beans are over i will most definitely be buying freshly roasted but for now will the be fine to experiment and learn the ins and outs of miss sylvia with?

Thankyou
    Do the Vittoria beans have a roast date labelled on them? With Silvia, you really need fresh beans. If they dont have a roast date, how long have you had the Vittoria beans? Youre looking for less than 4 weeks after the roast date. What model sunbeam are you looking at? Is it the EM0480? I believe the EM480 is the absolute minimum for espresso grinding. Although you may need to add a washer (shim) to allow for fine enough grinding. Even though the 480 may produce a good coffee, you would be better off pushing the budget for a Rocky or Breville Smart Grinder (preferably the Breville IMO).

Hope this helps,
    David

Comment

Sorry might i ask where i find the roast date? i only see a best before on the packet.

Comment

Totally agree that the silvia likes fresh beans. After 4 weeks the coffee is seriously average.

Grinder wise if you can afford to increase your budget to buy something like the Breville smart grinder, you wont regret it. Take it from someone who has upgraded from the sunbeam grinder to the breville.

Comment

Not sure at 4 weeks, beans are average! I would say as an outside window, 45 days... I rest MM for 3 weeks before cracking it!

Comment

Eh regardless ive had it for about 2 weeks now so it would be over the 4 week prime. I assume it will be fine to experiment with and learn a proper grind etcetc?

Comment

Originally posted by 614F534B44594F5A2A0 link=1335872353/5#5 date=1335875340
              Eh regardless ive had it for about 2 weeks now so it would be over the 4 week prime. I assume it will be fine to experiment with and learn a proper grind etcetc?
              Mmm... Not necessarily... Stale coffee behaves VERY differently to fresh coffee. However, I hate waste, so I would give it a go. No reason why not. You can at least use it to get dose and tamp right.

Comment

Ditch the Vittoria, save a small amount for running through the grinder if you clean it with something like grindz.

Comment

I hate to waste though . But okay i guess to experience the greatness of miss silvia ill need to get the proper beans.

Comment

Vittoria beans dont need to goto waste, ive got some stored away which i use for cooking. I dont think fresh coffee is critical in a Tiramisu, so i brew up some Vittoria, lace it with Marsala and sugar!

Plus an emergency Vittoria is better than instant or no coffee!

Comment

Originally posted by 7F4342595F4E4E451A182B0 link=1335872353/9#9 date=1335923055
                      Nar- Id sooner drink drano! :P

Comment

Originally posted by 3F60786E656E626B6B6868606C630D0 link=1335872353/10#10 date=1335923289
                        Originally posted by 7F4342595F4E4E451A182B0 link=1335872353/9#9 date=1335923055
                        Nar- Id sooner drink drano!  :P
                        Actually you could be right, last time i ran out of fresh and made an emergency Vittoria i had a sip and chucked it out.
                        Perhaps a Blend 43 will do the trick

Comment

Originally posted by 536F6E75736262693634070 link=1335872353/9#9 date=1335923055
                          I dont think fresh coffee is critical in a Tiramisu, so i brew up some Vittoria, lace it with Marsala and sugar!
                          Depends on whos making the Tiramisu, but I agree.  I would use the Vittoria for Tiramisu and also seasoning the grouphead after cafetto or a descale.

Comment

Yeah thats good idea, never thought of that. I did use fresh coffee in Tiramisu once and flavour is taken away from all the booze and sugar

Comment

Usually best before is 12 months after roast.  We see this on local roasted beans sold in super markets. So I would think Vittoria beans would be the same. If there is no roast date declared, then best before would be as above.  Good to have practice with but dont necessarily drink it.
                              Many super market bean buyers are happy with coffee that tastes like instant!

Comment

Working...
                              X