Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should i even attempt to self repair a silvia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i even attempt to self repair a silvia?

Ive managed to blow up my silvia and id appreciate some advice on what to do.

I think ive blown the element, the temp got up to 190 degrees and now it wont heat at all.

i am ok with electronics, i installed the PID on my silvia without any problems. Im not sure i know enough to attempt replacing the element.

I found this walkthrough from an old thread: http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/repair.html

but im really not sure about parts to order.

I was thinking that id save myself a lot by doing the repair myself, as well as learn a bit too. Id appreciate some feedback on whether this is perhaps beyond my limited experience with coffee machines.

does anyone have a ballpark idea of the cost of getting a repairer to do it?

im on the central coast of NSW, i do travel through the north part of Sydney to Drummyone each week. Is there a repairer/sponsor that people can suggest?

cheers,
    phil.

Re: should i even attempt to self repair a silvia?

If its just a fried element its easy enough to fix.

You can get an element/boiler assembly from Coffee Parts, basically a matter of pop the top, disconnect the cables from the element/tstats, disconnect the steam line and OPV inlet, undo 6 (I think) allen screws, grab the boiler, give it a twist and lift it free, unscrew the OPV, clean the remains of the gasket off, replace gasket reinstall in reverse order.

Note Ive not done it, this is educated guesswork based on what Ive seen around (I think I also spotted a video on YouTube at some point which went through the whole process in painful detail).

If its an older model the steam line take-off is located differently, so youll have to undo both ends of it and replace it with the appropriate part (I believe the Coffee Parts kit comes with the necessary replacement steam line)

Comment

thanks, ive ordered the boiler/element kit. i was less certain about getting the right parts when i looked earlier and only found the page with the components, but i found the kit this time.

ill have to survive without a machine for a few days at least.

Comment

how quick is this?

i ordered, got a conformation email at 3:48pm
        then this at 3:53pm:
        Dear Phil,

Thank you for placing your order with Coffee Parts.

Your order has been sent today via Australia Post eParcel.

thats amazing service at coffee parts!!

they say same day posting if ordered by 3pm, i wasnt expecting it to go out today and im blown away that they can do it in that timeframe 8-)

Comment

Please let us know how the repair went.
          We get the problems but it would be good to hear results.
          I have an old Silvia that I dearly love -my first machine.

Comment

the parts arrived today!
            ive got a really busy weekend but ill report back on my success asap

Comment

Spotted this vid on my youtube travels which might be worth a look...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnBYpBoJ0JQ[/media]

Comment

i did it (almost)!

I pulled it apart and got the old element/boiler out. nearly stripped an allan key bolt but managed it.

the video was helpful as it reminded me of the danger of opening a boiler in a neat area (water).

i put it back together again, with nothing broken and nothing left over.

plugged it in, filled the boiler and its away. 2.5hours work

it seems i didnt tighten the overpressure valve enough so im letting it cool down to do that.

otherwise, mission accomplished.

thanks for the tips and links,

cheers,
                phil.

Comment

Glad it worked out for you

Might be worth leaving the element disconnected while you track down the leak, saves having to wait for all that brass to cool down again if you dont get it right on the second try.

Fill, press brew switch, check connections, tighten as needed, rinse, lather, repeat.

Comment

thanks, thats a great tip!

i found some water underneath it this morning, so ive got to go over the connections today. it seems i might have been a bit too cautious about overtightening..

Comment

All fixed, thanks guys

I just had to tighten the connection to the pump.

Really quite a manageable and educational repair!

cheers,
                      phil.

Comment

No worries, happy to help

Comment

Working...
                        X