Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaggia Classic price?

Hey guys, just want to check something

Is the Gaggia Classic synonymous with Gaggia Classic RI8161?

I see its RRP is about $600 or $700, with some stores selling it for about $500, but then on ebay theres brand new ones for $350, labelled Gaggia Classic RI8161. Is that the same machine?

Re: Gaggia Classic price?

Havent a clue what that number means but here are a couple of points you should note:

That is CONSIDERABLY LESS THAN the wholesale price  to approved Philips/Saeco/Gaggia selling and service agents;

I also have it in writing from Philips/Saeco/Gaggia that they have no approved agents selling on ebay;

Both the above explains why there is NO manufacturer guarantee on these ebay offerings.

They may say they offer their own guarantee but take note, if you walk in to an approved  PHILIPS/SAECO/GAGGIA service agent to have your Gaggia serviced "under guarantee", THERE ISNT ANY and if that isnt clear enough IT MEANS THE MANUFACTURER WILL NOT DO ANYTHING FOR YOU.

Even though they are cheaper than our whilesale cost, it still doesnt pay us as approved service and selling agents to buy these machines, because we also dont get the manufacturer parts and labour back up wrt guarantee when we onsell the machines at retail.....

Also, make sure these machines have an Australian/New Zealand Electrical Approval rating. Its written on the compliance label on the box.

Your ebay vendors may of course wish to argue all these finer points and thats ok as long as you have your eyes wide open.

You buys cheap and you takes your chances!

Comment

Wow. Sorry if I hit a nerve.

Comment

Hello James,

no you didnt hit a nerve at all. The use of capital letters was simply to make sure to emphasise the situation.

Its ok if you want to buy one of those machines, just be aware of the realities of dealing with non manufacturer approved virtual "shopfronts".

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Attilio
        very first CS site sponsor

Comment

Originally posted by 7F4B5C4A51667A565F5F5C5C390 link=1336023129/1#1 date=1336026376
          Also, make sure these machines have an Australian/New Zealand Electrical Approval rating. Its written on the compliance label on the box.
          At least one of those machines has a UK plug on it.

Comment

gees Den UK plugs are ok. All you need is a hammer to bash it into the wall socket the first time you use it. After the first time it should go in no trouble every time ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 546077617A4D517D74747777120 link=1336023129/5#5 date=1336033081
              gees Den UK plugs are ok. All you need is a hammer to bash it into the wall socket the first time you use it. After the first time it should go in no trouble every time  ;D
              or you can just buy a $5 standard IEC pc power cable. Im sure the way technology has been going everyone has atleast 2-3 spare PC/monitor power cables around their house left over from upgrading their PCs/Monitors.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It is a good point about the warranty.

Its a bit sad though that the huge price difference. Its nice to pay heaps more and get a service guarantee, but once thats run out, youve basically got a machine that has depreciated really quickly, right? Seeing as, at that point, youve got a machine thats worth much less than the brand new $350 machines.

Especially compared to a Silvia or something that holds its value quite well.

How long is the standard Gaggia Classic warranty?

Comment

I wouldnt buy this machine new anyway. Its ok if you pick it up 2nd hand for a few hundred or less but I upgraded mine within a month because I wanted better coffee than that. Mind you I dont think it makes any worse coffee than the silvia. Its just a low level machine that eventually youll grow out of. Same with the Silvia. YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by 79727E76607F7C7F130 link=1336023129/7#7 date=1336039789
                    Its a bit sad though that the huge price difference. Its nice to pay heaps more and get a service guarantee, but once thats run out, youve basically got a machine that has depreciated really quickly, right? Seeing as, at that point, youve got a machine thats worth much less than the brand new $350 machines.
                    Hi James,
                    Theres a million threads (ok, I exagerate) on this site explaining the myriad reasons for price differences similar to this. Basically, as long as you know what you are getting yourself into, if you dont think the warranty/service issues etc are worth the price difference (and in some cases/for some people they may not be)....just buy it from the cheaper source. You might get lucky...you might not. You get the package you pay for.
                    Cheers
                    BOSW

Comment

Youre not looking hard enough James.

There are new ones for $150. :P

Comment

Originally posted by 414E435043444E4D220 link=1336023129/8#8 date=1336067656
                        I wouldnt buy this machine new anyway. Its ok if you pick it up 2nd hand  for a few hundred or less but I upgraded mine within a month because I wanted better coffee than that. Mind you I dont think it makes any worse coffee than the silvia. Its just a low level machine that eventually youll grow out of. Same with the Silvia. YMMV
                        Ive been looking at the Classic to replace the Sunbeam at work. I have a Silvia at home and Im verrrry happy with it! I make espresso/ristrettos as good as (often better than) almost any cafe in Melbourne. Besides delivering a more consistent temperature, how else does an E61/HX machine provide better espresso?

Comment

Ill agree my Gaggia also made cafe quality coffee. However coffee snobbery got the better of me and I wanted even better than that. I have no idea about HX machines since I dont own one but many on this site do. I upgraded to an Olympia Cremina lever machine.

The coffee from my Cremina bears absolutely no resemblence to the coffee from a Gaggia. I find the shots to have a more complex flavour profile, less bitterness and greater intensity than from my Gaggia. I believe the reason for this is that it has a different extraction profile, including a pre-infusion phase and variable extraction pressure over the pour.

It changed the taste so much that I had to alter the roast profile for the beans I was roasting as I could clearly taste charcoal from the Cremina but couldnt detect it on the Gaggia from the same batch of beans. I think most people describe the difference as clarity. I do not regret upgrading the Gaggia at all, it was a competent machine but doesnt produce coffee comparable to my lever.

My lever machine is also considerably less finicky and a lot easier to use than the Gaggia. Although I would in no way describe the Gaggia as a difficult machine. Ive not had a gusher or a choke on my lever machine yet. But had a few with the Gaggia.

Youd have to ask a HXer on the difference between Silvia/\/Classic and a HX machine.

I know not everyone wants to invest $2k+ on a coffee machine and the Gaggia/\/Silvia are machines worth having. I just wouldnt buy one new, that is all as I do think the pennies saved will possibly be better spent when upgraditis hits on a higher level machine.

Comment

wow. well, maybe im better off just not knowing then . ignorance=bliss etc..

Comment

OK,I am new but noticed this thread because I have a GC.I am wondering how these places get these machines in the first place and sell so cheap.1.Do they steal them?2.Do they buy in large quantities from Gaggia?If they bought them then why is the warranty no good?

Comment

Working...
                              X