Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isomac Tea - steam wand shoots out too much water

hi all,

I have been having a problem with my isomac tea for the past few weeks.
    The steam wand doesnt work as well as it used to. On start up, its like a tap, it streams out water for about 5sec and then spits and splatters for another 5sec until i get a steady stream of steam.
    (its really annoying now because i cant tell if im stretching milk or if water is being added to the milk)

This is also the case when Ive had the machine on for hours so its not just a cold start issue.

Any ideas?

Re: Isomac Tea - steam wand shoots out too much water

Hi pawni
    A few things;
    1) What is the boiler pressure ranging between?
    2) When was it last descaled?

Comment

Hello Pawnii

Its almost certainly overfilling the boiler.

This can be caused by one or more of scale, solenoids, control boards, wires and boiler probes.

You may be best to have a tech check the machine over as there will be a reason for the change.

Good luck...

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 3F34383026253730342639302C550 link=1336272995/1#1 date=1336277299
        Hi pawni
        A few things;
        1) What is the boiler pressure ranging between?
        2) When was it last descaled?
        Hi JB,

the boiler pressure sits around 4-5bar and it was last descaled 3days ago but before that it was 10mths ago.
        I only use water from a Reverse Osmosis filter so i figured its pretty safe not to descale it often (prob. a fatal mistake?).

Originally posted by 0134393E0A163A33333030550 link=1336272995/2#2 date=1336295053
        Hello Pawnii

Its almost certainly overfilling the boiler.

This can be caused by one or more of scale, solenoids, control boards, wires and boiler probes.

You may be best to have a tech check the machine over as there will be a reason for the change.

Good luck...

Chris
        Thanks Chris. I figured i should have it checked out. Just have to find a place that will look at it for me in Melb.
        Any idea what it would cost to get someone to have a look at it?

thanks,
        Sang

Comment

Originally posted by 3001170E0909600 link=1336272995/3#3 date=1336310550
          I only use water from a Reverse Osmosis filter
          Id be very surprised if that is not the the cause of your problems. Why RO in Melbourne??

RO water contains nothing. Espresso machines sense the presence of water using a probe in the boiler and sometimes in other locations as well. You need solids and/or ionic content. If your machine cant "see" the water it will keep filling. No wonder the steam is wet.

I also cant see why youd descale on RO?  :-?

Bleed off the excess water and then turn it off and then open the hot water wand to empty the boiler. Fill the tank with some tap water, switch on and see what happens. If youre lucky, you may not have nuked the control board as it performed a gazillion water sense events rather than a few each day.

Said it before but RO water is not for espresso machines unless it is remineralised. It kills machines. It will leach boilers and do all sorts of nasty stuff. At bare minimum, your water will need to be shandied. Alternately, ditch the RO and invest in an appropriate filter system.

Cheers

C

Comment

We have been using an RO system because the water from the tap tastes like crap. Recently theyve just dug up the mains water pipes running along our street and replaced them all. Maybe water will taste normal again.

I removed the water level probe and it was covered in stuff (grey colour). I put it in a cordless drill and took to it with 2000grit sand paper. It came up brand new.

This fixed the problem

Ive only had the machine for 10mths so i dont know how the machine was treated and used prior to then.

Thanks for all your help guys.
            Will stop using RO water in the machine.

Comment

Boiler is still over filling >

I took the Water Level Probe and the Safety Valve off the boiler and took it into 9Bar in Richmond.
              The technician there said they are in perfect working order.

It only seems to over fill when making coffee.
              When I extract coffee from the group head, after about 20ml the Safety Valve starts spitting out water and the steam pressure gauge goes to 100% (2.5bar). Could this mean the Safety Valve is faulty?
              Machine used to extract coffee at 9.5-10bar now it only gets to 8bar.

When extracting coffee the pump is on the whole time so does would mean the Water Level Probe is over ridden during this time?
              When i turn the hot water tap on, after a few seconds the water pump will kick in and fill the boiler, then when i close the tap the pump stops. My thinking is that the Water Level Probe is working right?

Is it possible that the Safety Valve is faulty and opening prematurely? If this is the case, my thinking is that this would allow the boiler to over fill during extracting coffee as the pump is on all the time + the water level probe is in override.

How does the water return work? Is it a set pressure?
              If so, and its set at 9bar and the Safety Valve is blowing off at 7bar then wouldnt the boiler over fill?

Any help would be great.

Note: no longer using RO water

Comment

Most likely the boiler solenoid Pawnii

Comment

Is there anyway to test or confirm that the problem is in fact the boiler solenoid mate?

Comment

Originally posted by 1223352C2B2B420 link=1336272995/8#8 date=1336802979
                    Is there anyway to test or confirm that the problem is in fact the  boiler solenoid mate?
                    Yes- test the coil and visually inspect the solenoid for correct operation. Also, you use your internal database and experience on a multitude of similar events.

Unless you know what youre doing, its a job for a tech. 240V and inexperience et al....

Even then, what sometimes appears ok is not. We had one seemingly working correctly just this morning. We ultimately found it and pipework leading to it completely clagged with unfiltered rainwater tank debris. No amount of cleaning solved the problem.

2 hours of fault finding and head scratching later, the warranty job that was is now no longer.....:

Comment

ok I think ill stay away from testing the solenoid myself.
                      Might have to get you to have a look at it for me CoffeeTalk.

Whats the main function of the boiler solenoid anyway?

Comment

I pulled out the solenoid just to clean it

What is the state of the boiler solenoid when you have it out?
                        Should it be closed or flowing one of the two directions?

Comment

Main function of boiler solenoid is to send water from the pump to the group only, to the boiler only, or in some cases - by sheer chance if both need it - to both. Yours sounds like its open all the time and sending water to both the group and boiler every time the brew is activated.
                          Dont know what its supposed to look like when out though, sorry.

Comment

Thanks jb.

I pulled it out and blew through the opening on the intake side. it seems to let through air. I need to know if its supposed to be closed or open when there is no current running through it.

I really hope its supposed to be closed (normally closed) because this would mean ive found the problem.

cheers

Comment

I found the answer i needed.
                              Solenoids are Normally-Closed. Mine lets water through when closed so its buggered.
                              Looks like i need to purchase a new solenoid.

From coffeeparts.com.au
                              Solenoids:
                              Can be thought of as an electronic tap, when electrical current is given to the coil (black box) it pulls the plunger in to solenoid body allowing water to flow from the inlet to the outlet.

Comment

Working...
                              X