Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New machine new user help me if you can???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New machine new user help me if you can???

Hi I am new to this site and to home brews. Took delivery this week of a new Giotto Premium Plus and Mazza Mini grinder but am struggling with what setting to grind on (currently on 7.5) and also portafilter is presenting me with sopping wet coffee after extraction? What am I doing wrong? DT  :-?

Re: New machine new user help me if you can???

Whats your extraction like?

Should be like honey of the tip of a spoon if you havent heard.

Heres a video of an Australian barista using your machine:

http://www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to.htm

A few things that I dont think is mention in the video. You should be extracting 60 ml of coffee from a double shot basket over 25-30 sec. This rule remains true only if you have the following constant:

1. Tamp pressure
    2. Filing your PF (dosing)

To achieve the above, you then adjust your grind, until you hit the 25-30 sec extraction to the textures of honey off a spoon.

Disclaimer: Im a noob as well, so this is just what I know. There are probably more experience and better understood people to help you out.

Comment

Cant help you with the grind setting. But wet coffee puck is often under dosing, you need more coffee in your portafilter. An easy way to get dosing right is to weigh up 15gms of coffee on a small scale ($10 on the bay) and then put that into your portafilter. Take note of how it looks untamped and tamped so you can get an idea of dosing. After a while you wont need to weigh it anymore. I use a hand grinder and luckily 15gms is a full hopper of beans. Easy! That takes one variable out of the equation.

I get the odd wet puck though but it still tastes good. How does your coffee taste?

Comment

Originally posted by 49593C343B350D0 link=1336471983/0#0 date=1336471983
        Hi I am new to this site and to home brews. Took delivery this week of a new Giotto Premium Plus and Mazza Mini grinder but am struggling with what setting to grind on (currently on 7.5) and also portafilter is presenting me with sopping wet coffee after extraction? What am I doing wrong? DT
        Hi and Welcome DT (though DTs not a good sign before starting a coffee career)
        To help people help you.....are you using freshly roasted beans?
        Is the puck just wet on the top for a few seconds after extraction, or more like the bottom of a plunger after draining?
        The advice following is just a starting point that might help:

If you search this site for the 5 cent test you should find some good advice re getting the dosing level right, then adjust your grind/tamp (but largely grind Id guess) to arrive at an extraction roughly b/w 25-30 seconds (starting from when you flick the lever...not from the first drops out of the spout). Frankly, even slower extractions (up to 45 seconds) generally taste perfectly fine to me (but Im a hack). Let your palate be the judge from there.

Comment

Unless you got a real bargain buy with that Giotto, i suspect you will get a better response by posting in the $1500 + forum section where there will be owners of similar equipment waiting to help you.

Comment

And are you using a single shot basket or a double shot basket. If you are using a single shot basket try using the double shot one. It is hard to get it right in a single shot basket. Well that is my experience with my cheapo machines. There is a lot to the grind, is it too fine, or too coarse. You could also try a preground bag to get an idea. It takes time and experimentation. Keep at it you will get it right if you are patient. Most important has already been mentioned, how does the coffee taste, do you and those you make it for like it.

Comment

I think you in the wrong section. The higher section (1500 -3000) is full of HX machine questions and answers.
              You dont say what it tastes like. This the real test. After all this is what we want.
              I dont mind a wet top if the taste is good.
              I have a big basket with plenty of head room. I grind and tamp to accommodate this.
              As previous post asks how quick is your extraction. The single basket really doesnt work.
              You have a great machine set up. All espressos have a learning curve. Is this your first serious espresso machine. Giotto seem to have its own special taste - at least mine does. Numbers on the grinder dial are only references to the individual machine.

Comment

Working...
              X