Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silvia shower screen screw

Hi everyone
    Would you believe that the screw that holds the shower screen on my Rancilio Silvia has broken. It fell off when I removed the portafilter after making a coffee.
    Does anyone know where in Melbourne I could get a replacement screw? I called Grinders. Thay said they may have to order one from Sydney. Surely there is somewhere local where I can get a 50 cent screw.
    Any advice greatly appreciated. I am now making coffee with cafetierra(did I spell that right?) on stove.

Re: silvia shower screen screw

Take the old one to a nut and bolt speciatly store and they should be able to help you.

Just make sure its stainless steel.

Comment

eBay, 10 pcs M5x15mm in 304 stainless shouldnt cost more than about $6.

Or if you dont want to wait theres a place in the Melbourne CBD on ABeckett St called Keables, they have every type of screw youre ever likely to want, though theres likely to be a minimum.

You want an M5x15mm capscrew if you want to keep it original, a M5x15mm cup head may be preferable, or if you have the necessary tooling (read a countersink bit which will work for metal) you might consider an M5x12mm countersunk and give Silvia a flush shower screen, the mod is pretty simple, theres a good howto guide about somewhere (I think on coffeegeek), if youre interested Ill see if I can dig up a link.

Regardless of what type of screw you choose, make sure its 304 or 316 stainless.

I suppose you could try bunnings but Ive never seen any metric stainless there, only ever a pathetically small range of imperial.

Comment

It only needs to be stainless is you are going to use steel. Otherwise it can be brass.

Which is probably why it broke.....people dont seem to realise they dont need to do them up that tight. I would say the existing has been done up tight. There is no need to go any tighter than hand tight using a very short handled tool.

The problem is not getting another...its getting the broken piece out. Any "specialty fastener" outlet should be able to supply but that said, there are enough people selling silvia in melbourne so you can always give them a hoy (telephone). Nothing should surprise me but I am surprised at grinders telling you it would have to come from sydney.....

Call 9 Bar...theyre a site sponsor and even if they dont(?) do silvia they may have something to suit in their spare parts kit.

Attilio
        very first CS site sponsor

Comment

I found that my screw was impossible to get out when my machine was hot. I removed it when cold. Now I have a screw loose so that it wont jam and possibly break.

I have removed larger broken bolts with an easyout, which has a tapered left hand thread, after drilling a small hole in the middle. I dont know if an easyout is made for such a small sized bolt.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by 724651475C6B775B52525151340 link=1336608846/3#3 date=1336621776
            It only needs to be stainless is you are going to use steel. Otherwise it can be brass.
            True, though IME brass metric screws are also pretty hard to come by (generally easier to find Stainless)

Good point on the sponsors thing, might be worth making some calls, chances are somebody will have something.

Comment

Thanks everyone.
              Theres a nuts and bolts shop around the corner. Ill try there once I manage to get the broken bit out of the machine.
              Maybe Ill try the place where I bought the machine from, If I have no luck at the bolt shop.

Comment

Come by 9Bar if you like. Im pretty sure we can dig one up.

Comment

Thanks.

The store where I bought the machine wanted $3.90 for the screw and $8 postage.

I was able to get the correct screw from the local nut and bolt supplier for one Dollar. It was a little bit long so I grinded some off. Its a perfect fit. So the cafetiera is has been returned to the back of the cupboard once more.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X