Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 group head temp test

Hi guys!

I just recently did a test for my SBs group head temps. I used the simple styrofoam cup with a milk thermometer stuck into it and left my machine on for a good 30 mins before measuring the temperature. Based on the setup below, it hit about 89-90 degrees C. Dont look at the images temps because it took awhile for me to look for my camera while it was running =/.

So my question is that whether or not I should be getting such high temperatures? I understand that by the time the water exits the group head some of the heat should have been lost. Im afraid that the temperature of my SB is too high. Hope some of you CSers could help me out with this ;D.

Re: EM6910 group head temp test

This seems pretty normal to me, the user manual states the normal operating temp is 92 degrees (which you can tune up or down a couple of degrees). Once the water flows out it will lose a bit of temp. So recording a temperature in a cup of anywhere around 80-90 seems fine to me. The longer you run it the higher it will be, so your measurements of 89-90 seem spot on.

There was a very well documented write up a year or so ago about temperatures within an em6910. From memory someone even pulled all the panels off and measured the surface of each part. In summary i think they said 92 degrees was the internal temp not the cup temp. Once the liquid falls through the cold air into your cup it can be anything from 70-90 depending on how far the liquid drops, ambient temp, how long the machine was turned on for etc etc.

Summary - your machine is fine. But do a search if youre the inquisitive type, theres some good detail out there.

Comment

this is a good thread to get you started -
      http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1266222481

I cant seem to find the one including temperature of the internals.

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the responses, yeah i read that thread and saw that his was about 85ish whereas mine was about 90. I seem to be getting bitter shots even when my pour looks good and i cut a little earlier to try and remove the bitterness. I sort of suspected that my temperature was a little higher than required which causes bitterness in the shot itself. Can anyone offer some advice?

Comment

You can drop the temp of the brew water - see the manual. I have found that certain blends respond positively by by either dropping or increasing the temp by one or two notches. Cant remember how big the step size is. either 1 or 2 degrees - it says in the manual. Hope this helps.

Comment

Yeah i decided to try dropping the temp by 4 degrees since even if the espresso flow is too quick it gives this ashy taste so it could be that my default temp is a little high.

Comment

Working...
            X