Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on a Coffee Machine $500-$1000 range

Hi all,

I am new here. I am not a huge coffee drinker and when I do drink its usually long blacks. But my wifes birthday is coming up and she drinks a bit of coffee, milk varieties however.

I am thinking of getting a machine for her birthday we can both use. I would get more into coffee if I could make it myself.

I have done a bit of reading on here and realise it will take practise but I am wanting to start off with a decent machine. My budget is anything up to about $1000. I dont want something with a hugely steep learning curve but I do want something that is going to produce a decent coffee for the money.

Any suggestions? I am sure this has been addressed many times before but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Advice on a Coffee Machine $500-$1000 range

Do you already have a grinder? I have a Lelit Combi (built-in grinder) which is at that price point. I drink only milk coffees and am loving the coffee after a year with the machine.  It is my first prosumer machine so I have no comparisons. My 2c.

Edit: link http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/equipme...elit-combi.php

Comment

Sorry no I dont have a grinder so that would ideally be included in my budget if possible. Not necessarily inbuilt.

I will check out the Lelit Combi thanks!

Comment

Any other recommendations? Good place to pick up a Lelit Combi in South East Melbourne? It looks like a great machine. Would I need to pick up a different tamper? I read the one that comes with the machine isnt that good.

Comment

I have the Lelit Combi and love it. We went from an auto to this and will never go back. It has its draw backs but I dont think there is a "perfect" machine, just the best one for your situation and budget and you put up with the little issues. It makes lovely coffee and beautiful microfoam and thats what counts. I bought a tamper from the sponsor I bought the machine from. It only comes with a plastic inbuilt tamper that you wouldnt want to use and and good tamper looks great on the bench anyway! You can email the sponsors all at once (see address at the bottom of the sponsor list on left) telling them where you are and what you want and those that can help will get back to you. Good luck!

Comment

The Lelits are great machines. Also consider the Rancilio Silvia and Rocky grinder. When thinking about combi machines, bear in mind that its awkward if you ever decide to upgrade the grinder, which often inevitably happens on the coffee snob path. Also, if the grinder breaks, then you may be up for a new machine and grinder, and vice versa of course... Just food for thought...

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I watched the video on the Lelit Combi and I do think it looks like a great machine at the price point I want. I think the in built grinder will be good for the moment. If we do get heavily into coffee making I think its going to be inevitable we will upgrade anyway.

The Rancilio Silvia and Grinder Combo looks great. But is slightly out of my price range by the looks of it...

For the moment I have emailed sponsors for some info. Thanks again!

Comment

I can vouch for the Lelit - mine is not the combo but probably the same internals for the espresso side. Not foolproof but get many more good cups than bad (in fact, never getting bad these days). But bean quality is everything!

Comment

Originally posted by 46797865747C707F110 link=1337147977/7#7 date=1337313336
                  I can vouch for the Lelit - mine is not the combo but probably the same internals for the espresso side.
                  Yes, exactly the same as the PL42TEMD espresso side.

charlie

Comment

Working...
                  X