Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 help

Hi all

I have mastered the art of frothing the milk on this machine, but wanting to get some guidance re the coffee making. In previous posts I have mentioned that i have got low vision so any support you guys can give would be great.

I am using a Breville smart grinder with my machine, and had a relative install the shims for me today.

Im just wanting to know if i am on the right track or not. I think the colour of my extraction is okay looking, but is the thickness of it? and well, my pucks arent that great looking...even I can see that!!! I *think* that my pucks look as they are getting channeling, but I will let you full sighted people be the judge of that.

I will include photos of EVERYTHING. Here is my before shot...

Re: EM6910 help

extraction

Comment

extraction

Comment

more extraction (this is the same espresso shot btw)

Comment

The shot in the cup...looks horrible.

Comment

This is the puck that goes with the espresso shot you are seeing. I dosed by using the "2 shot" function on the grinder.

Comment

This is another puck where I used about 14 grams of beans for dosing...or maybe a bit over.

Edit: please excuse the mess!!!

Comment

Is that a pressurised / double wall filter basket you are using? They have only one tiny hole on the bottom, rather than a matrix of holes.

I ask because the puck looks a little wet, but this cant be used as an indicator with a double walled basket.

Im sure people will be able to offer you good advice!

Comment

No, I am using the standard filter basket - double.

There is no indicator line on these baskets is there? i had a machine once (cafe roma maybe?) where the basket came with a line that you were supposed to aim for when dosing.

Comment

In the first pic of the pf pre extraction looks to me that the pf is under dosed i.e. too much head space.
                    my guide for this is the AM 5c piece test plus also I measured my 6910 at the group head and I aim for approx 7mm head space from the top of PF.
                    Second test is that there is no stuck puck after removing the PF post shot - that is where the puck stays stuck to the showerscreen due to underdosing or too greater head space post tamping.
                    3 rd test is no shower screen indent in the puck post shot which indicates overdosing or too little head space.
                    Other shot evaluations -
                    - the dryness / wetness of the puck post shot.
                    - the condition / time to extract your shot.

I also measure my amount / weight of grinds out of the  grinder by timing it

I can adjust my grind by fineness on a em450 by changing setting even down to half the total time of grind as required with each roast or even blend I choose.

Any other thoughts anyone?

Comment

It does look look like under-dosing, so a rough (un-schooled) guide is to:

- let the grinds fall into the basket until it is over-filled
                      (the idea is to have enough for the next step without wasting too much)

- tap the group handle on bench/mat to settle the loose grinds  (the grinds settle in, but genally all are still slightly above the rim)  This step lets just enough loose grinds to settle in under their own mass. 

- use a knife (or tamper with care) to level off the excess to rim level.  Resist the urge to push grinds in to the basket at this stage.  If you end up using the knife to level out highs and lows then start again.  You really want to be mainly removing a small excess, not shifting the grounds around filling holes.

- tamp with your usual effort/force

- tap the side of the handle so that any coffee on the side of the basket falls back in

- polish the top by returning the tamper to the top and giving it turn to smooth of the tamped coffee

Apologies in advance if youre already on top of this.

Gotta say that from time to time I get the same symptoms and find the puck stuck to the shower screen - more so when my grind is really fine and theres a lot of head space.

Comment

Hi Drovers,

I use the same set-up as you. I would agree that it looks under-dosed. I use two "1-dose"s on the smart grider with usually +2 bars on the fine dose adjust. Sometimes its +2 on the first dose and then +3 on the second. I do a settling tap between the first and second dose just to avoid spillage. I then level off with my finger if it looks too uneven, but often just tamping on the mounded coffee works fine. I used to level off with a knife but have done lots of tests using a naked PF and think it has little to no effect. If you do a tap as described above, I would only do a light tamp first, then tap, then a usual tamp. The tap will have no positive effect on the shot. It will only keep the group a bit cleaner. I think polishing twists have little effect (again tested with the bottomless).

I find if the dose gets too big, you end up with very dry pucks but the flavour becomes flat or bland. I have had some great shots with quite damp (almost wet) pucks, so let your pallet be your guide. The other possibility for the lack of crema is the age of your beans (too old (about 4ish weeks) will mean very little crema).

Hope this helps.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by 7B6D70697A6D6C326C6A716D766C7A1F0 link=1337664791/8#8 date=1337667843
                          There is no indicator line on these baskets is there?
                          Not as far as I know - I generally use the tamper itself as a guide to the appropriate final volume/dose. Once you arrive at what it is - using the 5c method or others suggested - your tamper will sit at a certain depth, which you can fairly well replicate each time once you get into a good overall routine.

Comment

Drovers, while the basket above does look slightly under-dosed I think its worth asking about how the espresso tastes? If you like it, then theres no need to change anything.

Comment

Hey everyone!

Thanks SO MUCH for your replies. I have had a quick read, but dont have the time to reply at the moment. I will give some of your suggestions a go tomorrow, and see how things turn out! I really appreciate everyones suggestions!

I cant believe that you guys can tell so much from a few pictures! its fantastic!

DS

Comment

Working...
                              X