6910 taking longer and longer to start steaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6910 taking longer and longer to start steaming

The steam is fine when it starts, and I have no problem making great microfoam once it gets going.

I turn on the steam, and it takes between 2 and 10 seconds before it starts, and this has been happening for a month or so.

Shots are fine.

The machine is between 3 and 4 years old, used 3 or 4 times a week to make my shots and my wifes lattes, and cleaned as per the book.

Given what my mate just paid to have his 6910 repaired (bought at the same time as mine) when a switch went, Im hoping to hear that its normal  :-/

Chris

Re: 6910 taking longer and longer to start steaming

Hi Chris,

Does the pump sound quiet for the first few seconds (before much comes out) and then suddenly gets louder and then you get a few dribbles of water before the steam starts flowing?

Pete

Comment

Pretty much, thanks.

Thanks for the quick response.

Chris

Comment

Ok, that has happened to my machine a couple of times. Most likely there is a build-up of gunk in the steam side. Seems to happen even if you clean by the book. Lots of threads to search through if you want to know why.

If you do nothing (since it still works ok once it gets going) it will eventually block up completely. I did this and nothing changed for several months (about 3 I think) and then one day the pump just stayed quiet and I got the odd dribble of water and no steam. After that I ran some "Clean Machine triple action cleaner" through the steam wand with the pump rate at max and temp at min. I did it outside as there is the possibility that nasties are generated from the cleaning fluid. Eventually it unblocked, the gunk washed through the system and I was Ok for another year or so. Every three months or so i repeated the cleaning of the steam side. This is what I would try first if I were you. (Dont forget to remove the water filter before you put the triple action in the tank.

Unfortunately my steam blocked again about a month ago and the cleaning described above didnt work, it just stayed blocked. Then I got serious and pulled the covers off, dismantled the steam path and flushed the triple action through each part with a syringe. Steam now working fine. If you are a bit handy and confident this is not a particularly hard job. Just be aware that there is a fair bit of exposed 240V stuff inside and if you get it wrong it could be fatal!!

Hope this helps. Happy to offer more help if you want. Good luck

Pete

Comment

Thanks, Pete.

I was hoping that it was something this simple.

Now to see if my local coffee supplier has the stuff.

Thanks again,

Chris

Comment

Did a descale, and changed the calc filter.

Back to normal ;D

The Service Centre People (and the manual) say not to run the descale liquid through the steam wand - I wonder why?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 5F544E554F503C0 link=1338418034/5#5 date=1338775847
              The Service Centre People (and the manual) say not to run the descale liquid through the steam wand - I wonder why?
              Because theres a chance that youll vaporise the descaler, inhaling acid fumes isnt particularly recommended.

That said its not *that* bad (so long as you dont sit there huffing the fumes...), more of a covering their arses thing than anything else.

Comment

Glad things are going well Chris. Agree with comments above. Some people worry they might damage something if they de-scale the steam wand, but as far as I know theres nothing there that could be damaged by the usual de-scale agents, provided you do a thorough rinse. Happy steaming

Comment

Thanks, guys - all good.

Pete, why did you suggest moving the calc filter?

Chris

Comment

Could you guys take a look at my post on the other thread by this one. I have a similar issue.

MANY THANKS

Robin

Comment

Rotten thing started acting up again, which I reckoned was due to not running the descaling stuff through the wand.
                      I did it again, this time also running it through the wand and boy, did it take forever for the descaling stuff to finally stop coming out of the wand!
                      It took a couple of full cups of rinse water through it.
                      However, its now back to its youthful self, with heaps of instant steam  ;D
                      Thanks for the advice,
                      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 555E445F455A360 link=1338418034/8#8 date=1338783954
                        Pete, why did you suggest moving the calc filter?
                        Sorry - only just saw this one. Just following the de-scale instructions in the manual - assume the de-scale/cleaning chemicals dont agree with the filter resin, but Im not an expert in this area.

Nice to hear another win Chris!

Comment

Working...
                        X