Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia newbie question about tamping

Hi all,

Im trying to work out if there is a way to tamp which doesnt require tapping the pf.

Its only a week old and I really like to keep it looking shinny and well maintained. But I realised that when tap the pf after Ive tamped down the first time, it makes little indents on the pf.

Any tips on how to either stop making marks or other methods of tamping which still gets the side bits of grounds that come up after tamping.

Thanks in advance

Re: Silvia newbie question about tamping

Get a better fitted tamper talk to Greg Pullman. Maybe tap the portafilter on a rubber tamp stand like the cafelat tamp stand first and then tamp.

Comment

Originally posted by 5455495F3E0 link=1339069263/0#0 date=1339069263
      Hi all,

Im trying to work out if there is a way to tamp which doesnt require tapping the pf.

Its only a week old and I really like to keep it looking shinny and well maintained. But I realised that when tap the pf after Ive tamped down the first time, it makes little indents on the pf.

Any tips on how to either stop making marks or other methods of tamping which still gets the side bits of grounds that come up after tamping.

Thanks in advance

Settle & Tamp the PF into a rubber mat
      At the finish end use a dedicated knock tube as they have a rubber coated bar
      And dont knock the side with the tamper at all I use a cupped hand

Comment

I hope your not using the plastic tamper that comes standard with the Silvia, that thing is a steaming pile of crap.
        If you have a decent tamper I would not worry to much about the few grinds that are on the side of the basket, or if you are concerned just tap with your hand like mentioned.

Comment

Thank you to all who replied.

I have a Rancillio tamper ($1 bargain from coffee-a-roma) and it is a great weighted S/S flat base tamper... so that not plastic rubbish :-)

I also have a rubber mat to tamp on, and a Grindenstein knock box.

But the tip that I was looking for was from you KK (and ryjodal). I will try the the technique of knocking the side of the pf with the cupped hand.

Thanks again. So much wealth of knowledge! Cheers.

Comment

I would recomend not tapping the side at all. It will dislodge the grounds from the edge of the basket, and as water under pressure will always take the path of least resistance, the grounds around the edge will extract more than the grounds in the middle. Collapse (knock pf firmly onto tamp mat a consistant number of times) and tamp with even pressure with a slight twist at the end. If you hold the tamper like a doorknob and rest your thumb and forfinger on the pf rim helps to get an even tamp I find.
            Takes awhile to get out of the habit of tapping the side of the pf tho! Have fun

Comment

HI JKWA,
              Seattle coffee have some great youtube clips on tamping including the north south method for getting the grind from the sides. When you hit the side of the pf it can cause channeling which is a fracturing of the puck (well thats what they say anyway) and will affect your extraction. Its worth a look for interest sake anyway.

Comment

Thanks primaryshapes, have checked it out, and am trying their technique out for a while and see how it goes.
                Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X