No announcement yet.

La pavoni Europiccola Question (repost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La pavoni Europiccola Question (repost)

*Report as originally posted to wrong thread (manual gear)

Hi all,

I have just recently become the new owner of a 2nd hand Europiccola (the newer model with one switch), and so far its been great. Ive managed to have my local roaster grind the coffee fine enough for me to pull a decent shot with nice crema and taste.

The question I have is, I keep seeing youtube videos where the Europiccola hisses while idle, probably letting off excess pressure. For some reason mine does not do this. It tends to reach pressure, sit idle quietly, and then build up pressure as the temperature reduces. Should I be worried by this?

Im also noticing that my pulls are more like around the 15 second mark, rather than the 20 to 25 seconds I hear is the norm.

I dont know if the seals have been replaced before so Im wondering if my machine isnt building up sufficient pressure.

Any advice would be great, particularly related to the non-hissing issue.

Regards,

Cam

Re: La pavoni Europiccola Question (repost)

Hi cam ,

I have a post millenium pavoni pro (one green switch) with a pressurestat. The pressure release on my pavoni has never hissed or spluttered as on many youtube vids ive seen.

i believe this is largely because my pressurestat is set at .9, lower than standard (1.2 i think).

Shots on the Pav are very sensitive to grind and grind freshness. So long as your happy with the shots coming out, then the timing isnt a huge issue.

Do you pre-infuse at all?

Comment

Hi Cam,

Ive not used the single switch model, so dont know if Im correct here...but I thought the safety valve should probably be letting off some steam. Maybe as Rukudo notes above that its only at the standard pressure setting. In any case, I would be checking your safety valve - its a one minute job. Using a spanner with some cloth wedged inbetween the safety valve and the spanner to prevent scratching, unscrew it (machine off and cold when doing this). There should be a spring holding either a ball bearing or a plastic plug up against the hole in the boiler underneath this assembly. Check that it can move freely and release if need be - after all if there is a fault in the machine in future, you REALLY want this valve to work.

It is unlikely that there is any leak in the seals to prevent your machine coming to pressure, unless there is water pouring out your group head at idle. Dead seals will effect the pulling of shots rather than pressure at idle in most cases.

Your pull times are fast because you are using stale coffee - unless you live next door to that roaster AND are a very fast runner. Ground coffee goes stale in minutes. You really need to buy a good grinder. There is a good reason that nearly every thread on this forum states this - we really arent joking! A good grinder provides you with fresh coffee that will improve your shots to an incredible extent, and the time to pull the shot will be closer to the 25-30 secs when you get a nice grind setting.

Originally posted by 5D5F58585B57505F4A5B5A135D5F533E0 link=1340589194/0#0 date=1340589194
      It tends to reach pressure, sit idle quietly, and then build up pressure as the temperature reduces. Should I be worried by this?
      Yes you should - you are disobeying the laws of thermodynamics! Physics as we know it is not operating in your kitchen. Beware as gravity may go next!

Pressure in the boiler is a function of temperature in the boiler. If temp is going down then pressure will be going down, if temp up then pressure up.

Have fun.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the two excellent responses.

So, I went a purchased some fresh coffee tonight and while it was not as fresh as just grinded, it was arguably quite fresh (only an hour after grinding). I asked for the coffee to be ground half-way between typical espresso and turkish grind, and I then packed it it quite tight into the filter. After applying quite a bit of pressure on the tamp I pulled a shot. What I noticed was that there was almost no pressure against the pull until the lever was at least halfway down, and even then it wasnt as tight as one I pulled last week. The coffee was good, I mean it tasted great and it had half decent crema but it was not near as good as other shots Ive pulled.

Hmmm, Ill look into the option of getting a grinder and then Ill report back if theres progress.

Comment

Originally posted by 7E7C7B7B7874737C697879307E7C701D0 link=1340589195/3#3 date=1340616047
          Hmmm, Ill look into the option of getting a grinder and then Ill report back if theres progress.
          You definitely need to have a grinder for a Europiccola. A Breville smart grinder at minimum.

As to your earlier hiss question, are you leaving it to heat for a while? I have a two switch, I give it 5 mins on high, 7-10 mins on low on my machine seems optimum.

It definitely takes a while to get to know the Euro - Ive found dose is really important. Youll find the method that works for you, but definitely get a grinder. More than a few minutes is stale for ground coffee.

Comment

I second that - a good grinder just makes my coffee so much more enjoyable with a Europiccola. I bought a secondhand Rancilio Rocky off here about five years ago, and it's going great guns.

Comment

you need a grinder, to the extent that I need to change the grind as I work through a bag of beans. pre ground gives you no chance.

Comment

Working...
              X