Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First coffee machine!

Hi everyone,

I am turning 40 soon and would like to get my first ever coffee machine to celebrate!

I would like one that does everything automatically, as in you press one button for a flat white or a latte, and voila the coffee is made for you! Not having to froth the milk separately.

Any suggestions??

Many thanks!

Re: First coffee machine!

a superauto seems like your thing

There are many brands out there, Theyre a little bit frowned upon round these parts because theyre a pain in the butt, and never seem to make coffee all that good compared to a decent manual machine at half to three quarters the price

The other downside to them is they are a pain in the butt to clean, but if you want something like that, youre looking at a high end Jura or something similar (with milk lines built in, Youd probably need a little fridge next to it to keep the milk cool)

Be prepared to spend over $1500 for a decent one, more for an excellent one

Comment

Hi there - thanks for your advice. If I did go for a manual, as you say it makes better coffee, can you recommend one which is reasonably easy to use? I am not that great at technology...thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 67757F6F636A6A69690C0 link=1341017164/2#2 date=1341185299
        Hi there - thanks for your advice. If I did go for a manual, as you say it makes better coffee, can you recommend one which is reasonably easy to use? I am not that great at technology...thanks!
        If your maximum budget is $1500. Then I would suggest looking at the Breville Dual Boiler and Breville Smart Grinder combo. Can be found for under $1500.

Or if you dont need a dual boiler, maybe a Lelit or the Rancilio Silvia? With Rancilio Rockuy, Breville Smart Grinder or the Lelit grinder (cant remember the model number).

Comment

The thing with superautos is the more expensive they are, the easier they are to use.

Good quality beans, just like good ingredients in cooking, will give you a good start.

Dont know where you are, but you may be amazed at how easy it is to use a manual machine and grinder by visiting sponsors on the left of this page. . .

I would agree the Breville dual boiler and grinder will give you bang for your buck, and they are easy to use and learn on and at the same time they can be used by coffee geeks to tweak their shots when they get more confidence and a few coffees up their sleeves

Gary at G

Comment

i have had a Delonghi Prima Donna for the last 3.5 years they do what you want and I paid just under 3k but i replaced it yesterday with a NS Oscar and I gotta say that is 100 times better in taste and quality alone so they might look and sound good but just try to remember that this will more than likely not be the case.
            I was even roasting my own beans when I bought the Delonghi and that helped for coffee quality but as for a quality brew over time I realised that I had wasted 3k
            Hope this helps

antiXa

Comment

Ive had a Jura and am now on the Breville BDB. The breville is a much better machine. The Jura was unreliable, didnt froth well - and a thermoblock. It was $2500 new and the only thing it did reliably was break down. It did make a good cup of coffee but the breville makes a much better one.

Comment

Super auto my response is why?

It takes almost no extra time to use a manual and for $200 you can better results than $2000 in addition the cleaning etc of these often takes more time/effort and chews up an time saving

Comment

Originally posted by David8 View Post
                  If your maximum budget is $1500. Then I would suggest looking at the Breville Dual Boiler and Breville Smart Grinder combo. Can be found for under $1500.

Or if you dont need a dual boiler, maybe a Lelit or the Rancilio Silvia? With Rancilio Rockuy, Breville Smart Grinder or the Lelit grinder (cant remember the model number).
                  I would definitely go through Jetblack Espresso for this. It's a milestone birthday, so you're better off not getting a department store model. I just bought the Rancilio Silvia V3 from them and it's a whole new world from the department store machines. My sole exception to this is the Breville dual boiler. I'm in love with that amazingly designed machine.

If you're determined to get a super-auto, JetBlack do the Saeco Royal for $2K. However, part of the greatness of a coffee machine at home is the ritual. David8 mentions some pretty good machines. If you're willing to spend the money, you could consider a Silvia with the PID kit (will avoid all of the "temperature surfing" people keep talking about) or the Breville BES900 dual boiler. I've never used a Lelit, but they seem to be rather nicely done. The Silvia will be a little more adventurous, but the Breville will be easier to use. It also comes with a decent tamper and a host of features that I found surprising.

Alternately, the Nespresso systems are incredibly easy to use. While their coffee isn't amazing, I find it's very consistent, which is important for a machine reliant on proprietary pods. They're more expensive than the general machines you see at Target and such, but they work much better.

In short
                  Adventurous, reliable, semi-costly: Rancilio Silvia V3 with PID
                  Reliable, costly and very easy to use: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler
                  Easy to use, comparatively cheaper and consistent: Nespresso series

If you go for the first two, make sure you get a good grinder. The Rancilio Rocky is the natural choice to team up with the Silvia, while the Breville Smart Grinder works well with the BES900. Keep in mind, the Rocky is overall a much more precise and higher-end grinder of the two.

Happy birthday

Comment

Get a Breville Dual Boiler for $1099 + free smart grinder.

(Good Guys)
                    Last edited by Andy; 5 August 2012, 04:20 PM. Reason: no commercial links please.

Comment

Aha.....I see business must be desperately slow in some quarters.

Also I am not in agreement with quote "...Silvia with the PID kit (will avoid all of the "temperature surfing" people keep talking about)..." People keep talking about it because this type of comment keeps popping up, anda proportion of silent / new readers / potential clients then think they will have to buy a silvia with a PID kit because of all this trouble with temp surfing they keep reading about..........its a vicious circle, and I'll bet the greatest majority of silvia owners dont have any problem with it whatsoever, in its standard form.........without PID. The PID may make it easier for newcomers to use, and that's because newcomers havent developed the experience yet......vicious circle.

I dont have any trouble using std Silvia, and I dont really / formally temperature surf as such. I just use good management / operational skills the same as I use for any other coffee espresso machine.

If a silvia owner just doesnt "get it" after a while, he can always retrofit a PID at any time. That is more to do with the operator, than it is to do with silvia.

I have no opinion one way or the other wrt what the OP should buy to suit his individual requirements, however I hope this helps in the decision making process.

Comment

I concur that the Breville gear is definitely going to be capable of producing a better result than any of the superautos (in the right hands).

One thing to keep in mind is cost of ownership is this gear may be part of a progression. With many appliances, resale is poor or non-existent as heavy discounting erodes the value of the gear and new purchasers often want the security of a warranty. If you pay $1000 and will never get a buyer, cost of ownership is $1000. On the other hand, respected gear- Silvia et al retains it's value well and is easily sold. Ultimately, it comes down to what you want.

Excellent to see that the retailers are only losing $300 on the deal as the wholesale price on this gear is never discounted. Should be great for profits! ;-)
                        Last edited by TC; 5 August 2012, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by neofelis View Post
                          Get a Breville Dual Boiler for $1099 + free smart grinder.

Ha ha ha ... Talk them into giving you terms - tell them you'll take a home cinema system as well. Reminds me of my old neighbour, mate and lurk merchant Lino who had Radio Rentals years ago in Adelaide. "Gift offer. Buy a fridge, get a motor mower free, no payments for 3 months". Lino stores the fridge in his shed, didn't even break open the box. Four months and no payments later, they turn up to repossess the goods. He shows them to the fridge, and they ask for the lawn mower. "No, no, no. That's free. A gift, look", and he points to the half-page newspaper cutting he'd taped to the fridge. He stood his ground, and 20 years later, he's still trimming his lawns with that Victor. Worse still, he'd put his large, extended family and most of the local parish up to it as well. When the parish priest found out, many of the mowers were sold to help fund a water-filled grotto dedicated to the Virgin Mary. I laughed so hard when he told he told me. Don't recall ever seeing a Radio Rentals ad like that again.

Comment

Not sure what you're implying but the good guys had a bonus offer with the BDB which was a free smart grinder - the machine was $1384 then and I got the price knocked down to $1099 and my free bonus.

It's all about buying power. When a store can buy 20 units of the BDB's then they're outlaying money 20 x 500 stores around australia means breville will give them a huge discount. Also when they can make $700 profit on a TV or Fridge then they can afford to slash prices. (I even got $150 off my new TV and $50 off the new microwave)

It's why the good guys are superior to other retail stores.

Obviously when you walk into a store which ONLY sells coffee products then that's their bread and butter and the only thing they can make profits on - this leads to consumers paying through the nose for goods.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Coffee View Post
                              Aha.....I see business must be desperately slow in some quarters.

Also I am not in agreement with quote "...Silvia with the PID kit (will avoid all of the "temperature surfing" people keep talking about)..." People keep talking about it because this type of comment keeps popping up, anda proportion of silent / new readers / potential clients then think they will have to buy a silvia with a PID kit because of all this trouble with temp surfing they keep reading about..........its a vicious circle, and I'll bet the greatest majority of silvia owners dont have any problem with it whatsoever, in its standard form.........without PID. The PID may make it easier for newcomers to use, and that's because newcomers havent developed the experience yet......vicious circle.

I dont have any trouble using std Silvia, and I dont really / formally temperature surf as such. I just use good management / operational skills the same as I use for any other coffee espresso machine.

If a silvia owner just doesnt "get it" after a while, he can always retrofit a PID at any time. That is more to do with the operator, than it is to do with silvia.

I have no opinion one way or the other wrt what the OP should buy to suit his individual requirements, however I hope this helps in the decision making process.
                              Makes sense, given that you are highly experienced and know the espresso-making process, indeed art, inside out on every style of machine - single boiler, hx, double boiler. Your knowledge and experience have merged with intuition - the sign of mastery in any skill or art, and that takes years. You understand the relationship between pressure and temperature and the effect this has on taste. I for one don't. So I think you may be taking such mastery for granted by assuming others possess the intuitive understanding you have acquired over years. The fact is they don't, and that's why so many frustrated aspirants post here, describing their struggles.

A general question to all who have travelled, are travelling the path may reveal something. Assume a good quality, no-frills, single-boiler machine (Silvia), good grinder and fresh coffee, in the hands of a newly trained, enthusiastic novice. How long (hours, weeks, months, years) before they are producing consistently good pours, and how difficult is the process?

I realise everyone is a bit different and has preferences. Even so, if the basic understanding and skills are so easily acquired, why do so many posts here detail painful struggles, failed extractions, upgrade anxt, aversions to perfectly adequate machines etc?

Bern

Comment

Working...
                              X